1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you take a pay cut to contend again?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Juxtaposed Jolt, Feb 3, 2014.

?

First world problems of an NFL player

1. Seahawk for life! I like precioussss RINGS!

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  2. Already won a ring - show me the MONEY!

16 vote(s)
    94.1%
  1. Juxtaposed Jolt

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10395738/early-super-bowl-favorites-2014

After reading just the Seahawks portion of the article, it got me thinking. Assume you're a member of the Seahawks and you just won the SB - but you're a FA now. Would you take a pay cut to play for a team with dynasty-in-the-making potential (thus allowing the team to retain most of its relevant players), or would you leave the team for more money elsewhere, since you've already won a ring? I'm talking bad teams like OAK, JAX, etc.

Granted, probably no one on this board will ever see money close to what NFL players are making, but I just thought I'd ask.

Fame + "small in NFL terms" money, or go to a "not remotely close to SEA's level" team for tons of money?

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Member

Until the NFL guarantees contracts, these guys won't take a paycut.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Absolutely not/no way in hell under any circumstances if I'm under the age of 33. Those careers don't last very long.

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

Lol, shows how much I know about NFL contracts and their rules and regulations.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

No way, I'm trying to get paid. Matter of fact if I were Sherman I would hold out next year until I get paid.

6. Mr. Space City

lol **** no.

their stock is probably the highest it will ever be. you've already accomplished the hieght of your sport. now it's time to get paid.

[​IMG]

7. leroy

leroy Member

Hell no. Average NFL career is, I believe, 4 years. Get what you can when you can.

8. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Lets not fool ourselves into thinking that the NFL isn't a business. No player should ever feel loyalty for a team regardless of any situation. Especially the players of the NFL. If you are an NFL athlete and you have a chance to make more, you follow the money.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Slight discount yes, maybe 10% to 15%, but no way in hell am I leaving a big contract on the table if Seattle is only offering a so-so deal, nor will anybody.

10. conquistador#11

back in the day, superbowl mvps would go to another team like the bucs, then they would stink after playing in a completely different defensive system, cough larry cough brown.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Member

The Seahawks were so lucky to get guys like Bennet and Avril at times when the rest of the league was conspiring to suppress wages.

12. Major

Major Member

Depends on who you are. If you're a 10 year vet who's been paid 50 million over the years to play on losing teams, maybe you take the pay cut.

If you're making the minimum early in your career and have a huge payday waiting somewhere, probably not since you haven't made enough to be comfortable if something bad happens (career ending injury, etc).