1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you support impeachment IF there was incontrovertible evidence of Russian collaboration.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Brando2101, Mar 14, 2017.

?

Would you support impeachment IF there was incontrovertible evidence of Russian collaboration.

1. Yes and I did not vote for Donald Trump

85.7%
  2. Yes and I voted for Donald Trump

4.8%
  3. No and I did not vote for Donald Trump

9.5%
  4. No and I voted for Donald Trump

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I will not vote in this poll because of my beliefs on this issue

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I want to be clear that there no not been any clear evidence linking Trump or the campaign to Russia. Everything that's known so far is circumstantial. The panels will start next week and they'll likely bring in 10-12 people to testify including the head of the FBI.

IF (and this could be a big if) there is incontrovertible evidence that Donald Trump knew of a deal that made promises to Russia over future US policy to Russian aggression in Asia in exchange for hacking which is a federal crime, would you support impeachment? I understand that many people feel like this is a witch hunt. I totally agree that there is no evidence at this point that should constitute any conviction.

Also, I would say that this specifically assumes the conclusion that Trump was aware. I'm curious about if there is a point where supporters would break away. I think it's fair to say that there are people for every president that would never support an impeachment so this isn't saying something about the Trump supporters directly who I believe have been demonized by a democratic party that is extremely out of touch with the American people.

Just to be transparant, I do consider myself a leftist that votes with the Democratic party and I've voted for Hilary all 3 times that I've had the opportunity too. I would only vote for a Trump impeachment (even though I think this administration is awful) if there was clear and irrefutable evidence that links Donald Trump directly to the scandal which is a federal crime. It's not just bad politics. I would not support impeachment if it's concluded that he was in the dark and this was setup by the people around him which is possible if people look at him as a tool for control. I'm not saying that is case. I just think there are a lot of assumptions that cannot be made.

I would guess that Mike Pence was not aware this was taking place. He's too vanilla and I don't believe the campaign would feel like they could trust him. If Trump resigns or is eventually convicted by the senate then Pence will become president which will likely mean he'll be able to implement a lot of policies that Trump is for through congress. It's not like this is a huge win for liberals but I do think it would be a win for people who support a stable and more accountable federal government.

I am not attempting to coerce conservatives to admitting to something. My intent is true to what I'm saying here.

Deckard likes this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Of course I would support impeachment if "incontrovertible evidence of Russian collaboration" with Trump's knowledge does exist and is made public. Heck, I'm leaning now towards impeaching Trump simply because, in my humble opinion, he is unfit to hold the office of President of the United States. I realize not everyone shares my opinion, but I suspect the number that do will increase as Trump continues to damage the nation both within the United States and internationally. Trump is making the most powerful country in the world look foolish and weak, and I am increasingly concerned that he will fumble the country into a war that could have been prevented by a competent man or woman holding the office.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The evidence is out there, and the Republicans are trying as hard as they can to bury it, but it will come out.

DD

5. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

LOL @ people calling me out for suggesting that CF members have a working theory that Donald Trump is some kind of spy for Russia. LOL @ one of those people being a poster in this thread.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I agree, DD. We'll see if the evidence will stay buried. I'm counting on the real media to find it and publish it, if it is truly out there. I think it is, and even if Trump was unaware that his closest advisers were colluding with the Russians to tip the election to Trump, the man should be impeached for "gross stupidity." They are his people. HE is responsible for their actions.

I'm still laughing at you. Show me where someone called Trump a Russian spy.

7. DaDakota

@Deckard, you should check out Rachal Madow, she is doing a brilliant job of connecting the dots, and following the money, Trump is dirty as sin.

DD

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

She's terrific and almost "too smart" for her job, if you know what I mean. I wish she had a larger platform.

9. Brando2101

This is unconstitutional and (IMO) just as bad as the issues that people have with how Trump runs his organization. You have to stay true to principles even if they don't always give you want you want. Article II of the United StatesConstitution states in Section 4 that "The President, Vice President, and all civil Officers of the United States shall be removed from Office on Impeachmentfor, and conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other High Crimes and Misdemeanors."

Andrew Johnson was impeached for violating the Tenure of Office act and Bill Clinton was impeached for perjury. The Tenure of Office act was an attempt by congress to stop Johnson from removing one of Lincoln's Secretaries so that was a bit more partisan and an issue of power between congress and the executive. I think you could say that congress was in the moral right since they were trying to protect the reconstruction effort in order to build a south that would not be able to enact laws that discriminated against blacks. Still, it was an example of the president of committing a crime. Both Johnson and Clinton were acquitted by the Senate.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  10. Brando2101

I personally agree but we are not at that point yet.

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Too good to be true. Quoted.

12. DaDakota

You will notice it is getting closer when republicans start to break rank, already McCain is doing it, as more and more start to call Trump for his stupidity and lunacy, it will signal the beginning of the end.

They are trying to enact the most unpopular agenda of all time, and 2018 is going to be a bloodbath if they don't break away.

DD

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You need to ramp up your sarcasm detector.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I hear Maddow managed to get Trump's taxes.....remind me again, are we for or against people illegally obtaining information about politicians? It seemed like we were supposed to be against it when it was deemed to have hurt Hillary, has that changed?

As to the OP's question, for sure if there was "incontrovertible evidence" of collaboration with foreign powers by Trump leading up to the election then I'd be all for impeachment.....I'm just not sure that there is any way that kind of evidence would surface and be solid enough to be believable.

15. sw847

sw847 Member

will you support impeachment if there are american collaboration with the election?

IMO, EVERY one of the world powers, countries in fact, does participate/influence in major elections around the world to some degree, supporting those with more favorable foreign policies. America have been influencing middle east, south east asian elections for decades, Russia and china both have their preferable candidates around the world. it is very doubtful that america, the most influential country in the world whose elections could change the entire global stage does not have foreign influence in its elections.

IMO its just that this time it has been made public to a certain degree.

16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Check the polling first, then try to work out some other compromise like a censure or big fine.

17. amaru

amaru Member

Nope....I want the American public to feel the full Trump effect.

I'm petty

Invisible Fan likes this.
  18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You are assuming illegality.
    At the end of the day . . .. it doesn't matter. . . nothing will come of this but thunder and noise.

Rocket River

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's not a legal way in which they could have obtained his tax information without his consent....so yeah, I'm assuming illegality.

For me, I don't care, I just think it's funny how some of the same people who were crying their eyes out about the DNC hacks will be giddy about this illegally obtained document being aired.

That kind of hypocrisy is so predictable when it comes to partisans which is why I like throwing it up in their faces.

cml750 and TheresTheDagger like this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's what countless Americans said about Watergate. Didn't turn out that way.