1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you rather have morey trade for Kaman, p.Gasol, or stand pat...?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigMaloe, Feb 14, 2012.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Or to put it another way... Pau costs u 1.4M less than Scola/Martin... what SG are u gonna sign in the offseason for 1.4M?

apples to apples, dollar for dollar....
    Gasol/1.4M SG vs Scola/Martin....

U guys act like Scola and martin have bad contracts. I'm bettin we could easily trade either to a contender for expirings and probably pocket a draft pick in the process.

Meanwhile, Gasol is a 31 yr old gettin paid 18.7M, with 2 more years on the contract... in 2 years Gasol is gonna be 33 and represent OVER A THIRD of our total cap - No Thank you!

Kaman for expirings - sure why not... and PPat - pass! Morris? ok Bud? sure. Parsons - idk... NY pick - pass!

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Settling on 2nd rate "stars". Hooray! :p

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Gasol is much better than Kaman, and would excell much better in with the Rockets.

However, if the Kaman deal is available for what it would cost the Rockets, it might be the better value deal to make. It also would give the Rockets a ton of depth on the front line.

Contractually, its a totally different story. Keep in mind, if you keep Scola on the roster you can still Amnesty his contract if you need to move it upon rapid decline and playing time at any point of his tenure with the Rockets under this contract. If you trade Scola, then Gasol's contract cannot be Amnestied if he declines rapidly in the last couple years of his deal.

Dealing for Kaman gives you a Scola/Dally/Kaman/Patterson front court that can cause havok in the West and is a relative low risk/ short term fix.

Dealing for Gasol give you Gasol/Dally/Patterson on the front court. Gasol makes you slightly better, but gives you much less depth, and is much riskier to take on contractual wise.

So all in all, I would be happy with either or but they both have positives and negatives.

4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

this is why i would take kaman insteaad... sure its less sexy... but its the low risk better value trade that a smart business man would take... not the SPLASH move by any means, but the smarter one when it comes to cap flexibility... thing is we could get kaman for so much cheaper, and even tho he loooks 83 he is two years younger then pau as well as expiring to keep our cap room this off season...

and while he is super ugly and would at times be hard to look at, another player comes to mind that is hard to look at that i would LOVE to have on our team, anthony davis... looks can be very decieving....

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Stand PatPat.

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So your saying choosing an Ostrich over a Caveman is considered the "Sexy Pick"

7. inishi

inishi Member

Gonna have to give them more than martin/scola anyway.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It is a 3 mil difference next year. Gasol and TWill> Scola/Martin. NBA cap is flexible...Gasol being 33% of cap is not a big deal for someone as good as Gasol. Now, Martin and Scola taking up 33% of cap. Scary.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

It's sad that people think the acquisitions of Kaman or Gasol would be in any way comparable. Kaman is 7 ft, 29 YO, and a team that has won only 5 games doesn't want him. If he came here he would compete with Jordan Hill and Patterson for bench minutes. Gasol would push this team to another level.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'd do the Kaman deal sending out only Thabeet , T.Will and Flynn.

That allows NO to shed a little more than $3.1m in salary which is their goal in trading Kaman , a salary dump.

It frees up a couple roster spots for the Rockets and gives them the option to make other moves to improve the roster. Scola , Martin , Hill , Parsons , Budinger and Dragic (as much as I dont like adding Dragic his UFA status means he couldand should be moved rather than lost for nothing) , all possible trade bait for a future move.

11. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

yes i am.. scola is both the sexier pick when it comes to nba 'splash' and looks... lets face it call gasol an ostrich and kaman a kaveman... doesnt change the fact that kaman is probably the ugliest player to ever play proffesionally.. dude is horrendous looking.... yet is a solid acquisition...

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I have to agree. I also have a strong aversion to doing any kind of deal that involves Stern. And as The Cat and Joe Joe pointed out above, it would increase our cap room (depending on the deal, of course). If the choice is limited to Kaman or Gasol for essentially Scola/Martin, then I want Gasol.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It would take more for Gasol. I think the Rockets would try hard to keep Patterson and Lowry. If a deal was to go down, I expect it would include a third team with the Rockets sending out all or some combination of Scola, Martin, Dalembert, and Dragic (of these guys, Dragic is the one I would miss) for Gasol and backup PG. Rockets would send out 09ers and a couple of second round picks for Kaman or other center to backup Gasol.

Gasol, Patterson, Parsons, Lee, and Lowry would be a good starting 5 with offense and defensive balance. I'm thinking the Rockets would end up with the cap room to bring over Llull and/or Motiejunas to join the backup center, Smith, Morris, Budinger on bench.

14. ericdwj

ericdwj Member

When is the trade deadline?

15. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

after all-star break

16. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

March 15th

17. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

I don't really know why the Hornets would really want the 09 expirings over keeping Kaman, if Kaman's contract is also expiring? The main reason you would go for Gasol is if you thought he would be enough of a "star" to convince Deron Williams or Dwight Howard to come to Houston. Ideally, Howard, Lowry, Gasol, Courtney Lee, Parsons being your net result in the starting line up.

18. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

Yes to Gasol for me.

19. cod

cod Member

Play next to Dirk or Pau?

20. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

That's why I said "if", and a big part of that if would be how much appeal there would be to play next to Lowry and Gasol vs Kidd and Dirk.

I don't consider it to be a particularly likely outcome. I also don't see anything that a different GM could do that would make it or any other star coming here next season any more likely to happen. But just trading for a Gasol who doesn't want to be here? I don't see that making us real contenders any more than picking up Kaman would.

The other alternative is to try and position it so you can trade/sign both Deron Williams and Howard, which is also very unlikely. I think a Lowry, Gasol, Howard, Courtney Lee, Parsons line up is stronger than a Deron Williams, Howard, Patterson, Courtney Lee, Parsons starting 5, but if Howard was willing to come with Deron and not willing to come with Pau, then which line up would be stronger doesn't matter much. In any case I think getting 2 stars at the same time is the only real shot they have to get a star without hitting the lottery, regardless of who the GM is.