1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Would you rather 5th seed or 6th seed? Here is the difference...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Apr 11, 2015.

?

Which seed would you rather in the playoffs?

1. 5th seed

84 vote(s)
    76.4%
  2. 6th seed

26 vote(s)
    23.6%
  1. bmd

bmd Member

5th seed - Will play Portland and most likely have home court. The drawback here is that in the second round the Rockets will play (most likely) the Warriors. In which they will most likely lose.

6th seed - Will play (most likely) either San Antonio or Memphis. Both teams are tougher than Portland, but both are beatable for the Rockets. The positive here is that in the next round, the Rockets would face the winner of the 2 and 7 seed... so either the Mavs (unlikely) or either San Antonio or Memphis (whichever the Rockets don't play in the first round). So the Rockets wouldn't get the Warriors until the Western Conference Finals if they are the 6th seed.

So what it comes down to... would you rather an easier first-round match-up but an all but assured loss in the second round? Or a tougher match-up in the first round but not have to face the Warriors until the WCF?

2. RESINator

RESINator Member

6th seed... greater probability of McHale getting embarrassed and hopefully ousted

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

6 seed. I get why people would want the 5th seed, but 6th is a greater chance at the WCF, however low it may be.

4. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

San Antonio is the best team in the west. I want nothing of them or Memphis should we advance.

Would love revenge on Portland and the two MVP front runners in the second round

5. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tank at this point

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Whatever avoids Hack-a-Josh (Spurs) in the first round.

Not to sound defeatist, but I think the second round is the goal here. With our depth decimated to the point where even Morey can't summon bravado, we won't likely advance very far anyway.

Make the second round and then do your damndest.

7. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

5th but will never happen, we will go 2-1 at best.

8. YallMean

YallMean Member

Just try to win all remaining games. Not in a position to be pick what seed we want. That would be funny, intentionally loses to drop to 6th.

9. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Doesn't matter who we play. We need to get out of the first round.

1 person likes this.
  10. awc713

awc713 Member

5 seed. We'd get HCA I believe.

I'd also rather play GSW than SA. I know our record is not good this year, but I dont think that's an accurate indicator of our matchup in the playoffs. Sure, they will be favored, but GSW is still an inexperienced playoff team. I think we could push that series to 6 games.

11. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

If you want to be the best then you gotta beat the best teams why play chicken and hide. Thats a bad attitude entering the playoffs if the rockets are trying to duck teams. Shameful

12. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

1) get the 6th seed.
    2) wear the ketchup and mustard jerseys for the entire playoffs
    3) recreate history

13. TesseracT

TesseracT Member

5 seed, revenge on Portland. Steph wins MVP right before the 2nd round. Harden show him who da real MVP is

14. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Anyone who still wants to play San Antonio at this point is more dense than a bag of rocks.

Rockets need to win out and hope to play one of either Portland or Dallas in the first round. Or else it's almost a guaranteed first round exit.

15. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

5th seed easily, because 6th you get a 90% chance at the Spurs, 10% Clippers.

16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

We won't get past the 2nd round. Facing Portland is our highest chance of passing the 1st round. 5th seed is better.

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

If that is the case, why does it even matter where we seed at all?
    What a disaster of a final stretch. We should be second seed, Harden should be MVP, and we should have been on pace to sweep Dallas in the first round and then grit our way past Memphis/Spurs to the conference finals where maybe we had a chance to stop Golden State.

Now, we're looking at another potential first round exit. Pls overachieve in the playoff Rockets.

#17 RedRedemption, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

How does it matter?

Stotts >>> McHale
    Pop>>>>>>>>>>>>McHale
    Joerger >>>>>> McHale

We will go into every series with a big disadvantage at the coaching position

Having said all that. I'd face Portland with HCA. They have no Mathews and I'm sure that we're still hurting from last year (That is if coach and the players have any pride)

19. bmd

bmd Member

Why are some of you acting like I'm speaking on behalf of the Rockets?

I'm asking which seed would be more preferential IF you had the choice.

20. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

I just want that 2 seed back and play the tool Mav's.