1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you move Capela for Noel?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anchel, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Rockets4Life13

Noel is constantly injured. We allready have ryno, gordon and beverly who are likely to miss some games. We need some reliable players. If we can get noel for cheap im okay with that. If not, don't do it.

2. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Noel is as far from Amare as any C in the league. H
    If by a poor man's Anthony Davis, you mean dead Anthony Davis then yes.

Noel is a cancer. Poor attitude. One of the worst offensive player in the league. Very overrated defense.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Players don't "magically" improve under D'Antoni, they improve because of great coaching and system fit. Nothing magical about it. MDA loves bigs that are willing to run and roll hard on pNr. I may be overexagerrating the Noel and Amare comparisons because both are elite run-jump athletes but it is no less an exaggeration when you crap on that comparison and in same breath say same thing about Capela and Amare.

I like Capela a lot, but Noel is much better defensively already, in post as well as on perimeter. Offensively there would not be a great difference if used similarly. Harden pocket passes and lobs would benefit both.

basketballholic likes this.
  4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Noel has feet for hands.

5. Rocket PR

Rocket PR Member

They have 3 starting centers. Why getting another one?

D-rock likes this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The reasoning doesn't make sense at all. You're not making any distinction between system, fit and player. Not every player will look better here. KJ is an elite athlete and he has not been able to make a nice jump in quality of play. There are other factors to consider. We are NOT running like the Suns did because our PG masters a different pace, and the other players (other than Capela) are not suited to destroy others in transition. I think you can probably reconsider the scope of your argument here, MDA would have 5-10 rings if your description was accurate. It is simply not the case that MDA's coaching and system benefits everyone the same. Like every system, some fit better, others don't. The possession differences are easily picked up by opposing GM's and coaches and obviously would have no impact on W/L.

On Capela, I literally said he's in a totally different offensive class to Amare. Neither of Capela or Noel are anywhere near Amare, but Capela is a better offensive player than Noel today. And it's looking like that gap is more likely to widen than narrow.

Offensively, there is the risk that Noel is not good at PnR. If we compare Noel's last season to Capela's current season, the offensive difference is significant. Capela has GREAT hands, knows how to finish, and can do ANYTHING Noel can do on his best day offensively. His FT% continues to improve, and his hook shot as I mentioned is looking better almost every month. Neither of these guys are big scorers, but Capela can keep his man honest and moves well off the ball. Noel may be able to do better than he has in the past with Harden feeding him, but no reason to believe he would be as good as Capela at it, and he has never shown that he can do it on a team where others have shown they can do it.

Noel is the better defender and worse offensive player with a, so far, slow growth rate. Capela is the slightly better offensive player and slightly worse defender with a, so far, staggering growth rate. Noel has never had a season better than Capela's current season all things considered. He has never been to the playoffs, Capela has played in 5 playoff series. Capela is younger and we have an extra year before having to extend him. Granted you have some valid points, but Noel is not clearly going to be the better NBA player of the two. It's debatable now, which doesn't bode well for Noel who was regarded much more highly (even by me) just a few months ago.

7. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

The Rockets don't need anymore mediocre me first players.

We trade for Noel and next thing you know he's talking about he's too damn good to be setting screens and receiving pick and roll passes and he needs his touches.

8. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

The real question is; do you trade Bev, Ariza and and a 1st for Noel, like it was reported earlier in the year? The answer is hell no for me now but in the preseason, I wouldve been all over it.

Of course his value has crashed now, so Ill pose another trade. Would you trade either Bev/Ariza and a 1st for Noel? That first has to be a bottom end selection in the high 20s with the rate were going. The tough part now is parting with Bev or Ariza.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Your Capela vs. Noel analysis is not just subjective but biased and you know it. You don't know how well Noel would have done playing alongside Harden but it stands to reason that he would have put up better numbers than he has on the woeful Sixers. And Noel was injured during MDA's tenure in Philly but the combo of Harden and MDA is more likely than not to have benefited Noel just like it has Capela.

You mention Noel's hands as the only reason that Capela is the superior offensive player while giving Noel the "slight" edge in defensive prowess. Noel was considered the best player in his draft class for a reason before his injury. And he was in running for rookie of the year, not Capela. You are forcing me to take a stance against Capela which was never my intention, simply because you choose to disparage one to lift the other. My goal all along is have both but that runs counter to your agenda to bring the ancient Tyson Chandler.

11. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

He's a cancer? How did you come to that conclusion?

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

First of all, you can take that tone the f*** out of here.

If you want to discuss this, write out your arguments. I assume since you just decided to call something biased, you have no further arguments except to say that you expect anyone to look better on this team.

No, I don't know that he would put up better numbers than he would on the Sixers. Again, just like KJ McDaniels. Regardless, it's not just about numbers. Because of the high number of posessions, numbers may look better. Doesn't mean the players are better.

Also again, you are not reading. Capela has better hands, moves better off the ball, runs the PnR excellently, and his hook shot is improving almost month to month. In addition to all of that, there is not a single thing Noel does that Capela can't do better offensively except possibly pass the ball. Capela is the better offensive player. While I understand you expect that Noel will be able to do some of those things if on the same team as Capela, the truth is he has never done it nor has he shown flashes that he may be able to. So, yeah, he might. Objectively, you would be very optimistic to predict that to be the case. To put this into perspective, neither Dwight Howard or Nene have been able to do it.

As for Noel being considered the best in his class prior to his injury, I also addressed that. One of these players is improving rapidly, the other has stagnated. Noel was clearly the better prospect before this season. However, you have to look at the data and information available. Capela has strung together a better season than Noel has ever had.

Finally, I don't know who you are confusing me with, but I'm glad you've ironically spilled the beans on your own agenda (or really vendetta) here by assuming I'm some other person who wants Chandler on this team. I don't know if I've ever even mentioned Tyson Chandler ever on this board, I have no interest in bringing that dude over here at that salary with Capela playing the way he's playing.

No one is disparaging Noel here. He has had a disappointing career thus far vs expectations (opposite of Capela) and recently he whined about getting minutes when he just had to beat out Okafor and Saric to get all the starter minutes he wants. Capela deserves to be considered the rising prospect out of the two. He's worked his ass off on the court and off, and it's showing in his production. He's younger, no injury issues thus far, improving faster, has FAAAAAR better quality experience, FAAAAR better big man coaching and on a better contract. Noel is losing this race to Capela right now, that's the bottom line that even a Sixers fan wouldn't dispute. Whether Noel will be better or not is a discussion, but it's not a good time to have that discussion for Noel.

13. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

That's a fair point.I'm thinking long term and building a roster that will hold up talent wise when you are making a championship run. Noel hasn't even gotten the opportunity to showcase his true skills yet. Look at how much better everyone looks in D'Antonio system. If we had a talented player like Noel in this system his production and impact would be higher than Clints.

14. YallMean

YallMean Member

Anderson is scared. Sigh. Just shoot it. It messes everything

15. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I agree, they'd def get something better than we would offer... Brewer is a net negative... Nene's 1 yr holds no real value... our future 1st isn't looking to be very high at this point (yeh!)... KJ may hold some minimal value on potential...

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Are you now seriously using KJ as the example of why Noel would not be successful playing with Harden and for MDA??? Serious reach there. And injuries are only relevant if career threatening. Do you have any info supporting this in regards to Noel?

And if you were not one of the big Chandler boosters then I apologize for mistaking you for one.

17. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

Noel was given a false promise. If I am him, I wouldn't be so vocal but definitely push through my agent. He has absolutely every right to complain, the Sixers are hoarding people at his position and holding him back. He's absolutely a better player than Capela, way better defensively, but also much more injury prone. I'd do the trade though on a sheer talent perspective. Noel instantly made the Sixers somewhat competitive defensively.

Capela is highly overrated here. I think Noel is basically a suped up Capela, better at shot blocking, 1 on 1 defense, weakside defense, alley-oops, rebounding. But he is extremely injury proned.

18. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Its not the most professional attitude but its not the worst.
    What he is saying is fair, and he really does need to get out of Philly. He saw the team draft 2 players that play his position 2 years in a row after he was drafted. Obviously he could always keep his mouth shut and would look alot better in doing so. But we don't know what the front office is doing there and he will be missing out on very important playing time right now that can expand his career

Mind you we should in no way trade Capela. Try to get him without giving up our rotation players

D-rock likes this.
  19. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

yes noel is trash....we dont want another soar loser "howard" on this team.

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

TL;RA (Too Long; Read Anyway)

Good post, ML.

Mathloom likes this.