1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you move Capela for Noel?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by anchel, Dec 17, 2016.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Noel, no. Okafor, yes.

2. anchel

anchel Member

Definitely it would have to be a 3-team trade because Philly doesn't need another center, but, if you get Noel it is because you're planning on signing him next summer as a center piece of your project. That means, you're choosing him over Capela because you're thinking of him as a big prospect, all-star caliber.

In relation to his last comments, honestly, I can understand it after the heat of the game... have in mind that that guy was seen as a nº1 draft pick for a whole year...he's been a very high prospect, and he suddenly can only play 8 minutes in his 3rd season? at a bad team and after having had 2 first promising seasons (not dissapointing seasons)... I don't try to justify his comments but can understand them from a young dude, considerating the context in which they are given. Definitely would need more material to consider the player's character a red flag.

D-rock likes this.
  3. Vivi

Vivi Member

Not at this point, i still kinda see Clint too soft in some situations, and Noel as today is probably still a better defender, but i don't know why you say "Noel is supposed to have an higher upside", to me at this point it's the opposite actually, Noel has been in the league for 4 years and his game has never really developed, it's also true that he plays in a meh enviroment but still...Capela is also going to be a no show in our salary cap for two more years which is always a plus. To me it doesn't make sense at this point. If we can trade for Noel without giving up good pieces sure, why not, but for Capela or other good assets i say no.

Jatman20 and ilovehtownbb like this.
  4. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Noel has a really REALLY bad attitude. Both Philly and NO made a mistake on draft night swapping Holiday for Noel. Both teams would be better if that trade never went down.

5. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Capela is as young as Noel.

Capela is in a much better contract situation.

Capela doesn't have a history of knee injuries.

Capela doesn't have attitude problems nor ego issues.

Capela puts up better stats in less minutes.

While Noel is probably a better defensive player now, Capela is getting better and better on offense. Noel has bricking layups this entire season. Some people don't understand how bad Noel is offensively. The guy literally can't finish half of his layups.

MrButtocks and J.R. like this.
  6. D-rock

D-rock Member

Paying Noel does not mean Capela loses starter spot automatically nor does it mean Clint is not in future plans. He has another season or two to get his own payday. Noel on this team could explode like Eric Gordon has under MDA. Noel could have an Amare type impact or even more. Noel can actually play D. Capela is a very good player but Noel could approach great, especially on this team.

What does it hurt to keep improving bench power, position flex and future assets? Rockets should not rest, Morey needs to continue adding fire power to this team for regular season, playoffs and beyond.

Adding Noel if possible without touching our core players is an utter no brainier.

basketballholic likes this.
  7. anchel

anchel Member

Agree at 1st and second.
    I question the 3rd...(the attitude issues if Noel was here)

And the 4th is just unfair. We all know what kind of numbers Noel would be putting if playing at this Roickets, next to Harden. I don't know how much playing time Capela would have at Philly but he could perfectly be in the same situation as Noel.

Jatman20 likes this.
  8. bongman

bongman Member

That is not what this thread is proposing

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Before the season started, if you put all the players drafted in 2013 or 2014 into a pool and re-did the draft, Capela would have been picked over Noel. And this is before all of the drama about playing time came out. No, simply based on skillset and HEALTH, Capela is more valuable at this point. Not to mention he's younger, by one month, and already has shown so much more in the way of dedication to his craft. Capela's today and his tomorrow are brighter than Noel's.

Zacatecas likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

I'm changing the dialogue, or adding to it, however you want to interpret it. Don't be afraid of change or new ideas.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

kubli9 and robbie380 like this.
  12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, that's why i'm saying i'd still take him for the right return, i'm not totally against this.

I just do not agree about his potential, you're talking about Amare...eh, no, Stat was an hell of a player on offense, Noel can't beat his man, he has no moves whatsoever, can't pass and make a basket if not inside 3/4 feet, he will never be as good as Stat, not even close. You can say the same about Clint, but he already show us some marginal improvement in his game near the basket, in his passing...while Noel in four years didn't. So yeah, not saying that Noel, as today at least, wouldn't be better than Clint for us, i'd say he would actually (again, at least as today), it's just that i wouldn't trade first rounders, Dekker, Clint etc for him. KJ, 2nd rounders, Brewer? Sure.

Also, while his cap holds will not be huge, they can still eventually hurt our flexibility this summer, but maybe this can be eventually solved somehow.

Mathloom likes this.
  14. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

A bird in the hand...

Jatman20 likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

The Amare comparison could be extreme, or not, we just don't know now. And I don't think it would take any of the core players to acquire him, I trust in Morey to get better end of deal and not adversely affect chemistry. Especially if trade partner is Philly.

And recall what everyone was saying about Eric Gordon before he was acquired by Rockets. His best years were behind him, injury prone, lost athleticism, one dimensional, can't defend, not a difference maker, overpaid, overrated, etc. Noel has only played a fraction more than 2 NBA seasons for a loser of an organization, unbalanced roster and poorly coached team. The book has not even begun to be written about this young man. Especially if placed on a team like the Rockets.

16. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

At this point and how much Capela has progressed in a short time I would not do it. He knows his role, fits the system and doesn't demand touches. He is a willing player in the pick and roll system and that's what we need.

17. J Hard

J Hard Member

Nope, keep strong role players surrounding Harden and he'll make tgem even better along with D'Antonis system.

Only players with some sort of name you bring in are Eric Gordon types that are ready to be super in their roles.

You see what melo drama is surrounding the warriors. Just have a star and super supporting cast ala Hakeem back in the day and thats the way to go. Chemistry is impeccable.

18. bongman

bongman Member

How else can you interpret the thread title? It specifically talks about a swap , not playing alongside each other. your proposal completely derails the thread. The idea of Capela and Noel playing with each other is a boring topic because everybody agrees that will be good. If you are going to propose something like that, might as well go big and add Lebron and Boogie to our lineup without losing our core.

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

You are wrong, on multiple levels. Thread derailed? Oh my, drama queen much?

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

Noel just doesn't have the same talent that Amare had, come on...he will never be a great offensive player, probably not even good.

But aside for that, again, if we can steal him why not? In that case it's a no brainer obviously.

Mathloom likes this.