1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you guys still be able to support the Rockets if they disrespected the flag by kneeling?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Sep 26, 2017.

?

Would you guys still be able to support the Rockets if they took a knee during the anthem?

1. Yes-It's not disrespectful

87.8%
  2. No-GET OUT THE COUNTRY!

12.2%
  1. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

what a dumb thread, kneeling is disrespect??? go learn some history man.....

2. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color."
    - Colin Kaepernick; August 26, 2016

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

It's a dumb poll obviously. As for the kneeling, it was initially a protest against American society in general by Kaepernick because of police brutality and racism. The flag and anthem as American symbols were what he chose to protest at NFL stadiums.

Now what transpired this weekend is a little more unclear. Were players and coaches(and some owners) protesting over police brutality and racism? Were they protesting Trump? Were they merely trying to show solidarity? And if it's the latter, solidarity with whom? Kaepernick and other players who'd previously protested? Do they now share their cause?

The whole thing is a mess in large part because it's so convoluted. So to answer the original question, would I stop supporting the Rockets if they kneeled during the anthem? I'd certainly hear them out first as to why they're doing it. But yes, there's a very real possibility I'd turn off AT&T Sportsnet(that is what it's called now, right?) and find something else to do. I've been a diehard fan for 25 years, but sports for me is a form of escape. I don't need politics shoved down my throat, especially by millionaires and their billionaire bosses who demand taxpayer subsidies for their fancy new arenas.

4. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

Does anyone even remember what the initial reason for the kneeling?

It was a plea for policeman to stop killing unarmed innocent Black men in the streets.

But here we go, the media gets a hold of it and twist this into something its not. There's no sincere effort on this country to ever address its horrible treatment of Blacks.

This country with its hate and reluctance to respect Black people is at an all time low. I guess this is the America Trump envisioned and many many prople alike.

DonKnock likes this.
  5. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

They have the right to kneel and people that disagree have the right to boycott the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc in response.

I don't agree with their method of protesting, but it doesn't offend me and I will continue to watch games.

DonKnock likes this.
  6. count_dough-ku

Why is this Trump's fault? Dude's been in office for 8 months. What about his predecessor? It was during his term that these NFL protests started and these killings took place. And BTW, not all of these killings were of unarmed innocent black men. Some were legitimately self defense. You mentioned the media twisting things into what they're not. Well, they propagated the "hands up, don't shoot" mantra which turned out to be a complete fabrication.

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

@RocketsTruth @DaGreatest vs

@Bobbythegreat @Nigel Thornberry @bigtexxx

Pen15clubber and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  8. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

False dichotomy. One of the first things everyone needs to understand about the kneeling debate is that it started with Kaepernick just sitting during the anthem. It changed to kneeling because the dissenters wanted a gesture that conveyed respect for the country and the armed forces while still expressing dissent about promises unfulfilled. So they intend it as an alternative gesture of respect. You may object, but you should understand why they do it.

el gnomo, 34to11, jch1911 and 3 others like this.
  9. count_dough-ku

What will inevitably happen is these leagues(except for maybe NASCAR which has banned protesting) will abandon the National Anthem after their ratings and revenues suffer. Which BTW will only infuriate people even more. But it's probably the best solution they can come up with since they'll never order their players to back down.

That'll also really suck for Rockets games since "rockets red glare" will no longer be heard prior to games.

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I didn't think the boycott really did much of anything, IIRC. The numbers were arguably a little better. People want drama. That's why ESPN fired all their news anchors and went to loud mouths. People eat it up. While we all yell and scream and separate into our camps, we will all continue to watch.

Case in point, do I like that Harden loves big booty strippers and is too big to sign autographs at away games? No. Does it piss me off? Yes. Will I stop watching? Nope.

Easy likes this.
  11. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

LOL...vote wisely ? excuse me ? Raised in the Air Force, daddy a lifer, he fought in 2 wars to protect Freedom of Speech arse. Yeah sure, this issue is everywhere. As always I'll stick to Rockets basketball. Drag your politics to some other place. Go Rockets ! ( I don't buy tickets based on whom someone voted for or their beliefs....and neither should anyone else.imo.) Been posting since before the creation of this rendition of Clutch Fans, some here would have probably dissed Hakeem for being a Muslim. Fact.
    bro.

thedreamsteam likes this.
  12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Come on, guys! North Koreans are kicking our butts at flag respecting!

13. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

p s.............................................................................................. close it down.

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

So well written. To add to that, 538 did a great piece on how a lot of protests in the past weren't looked upon favorably either. But in time, as people saw the injustice and inequity they realized why other people were protesting to start. Look, 40% of the country can't think for themselves and will just echo what they are told to say. But, that other 60% might come through and have some actual meaningful discussion. Like it, love it, or hate it, it's working because we are talking about it.

15. TRIQSTER

TRIQSTER Contributing Member

I believe it all boils down to what ppl think makes America great. If you believe that freedom, diversity, equality, quality of life, justice and the pursuit of happiness makes America great then protest of this sort should be accepted. Now if you have a different definition of what makes this country great then you would probably be on the opposition.

el gnomo, jch1911, DonKnock and 2 others like this.
  16. TRIQSTER

TRIQSTER Contributing Member

Well put

17. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

What makes America great is that when push comes to shove (Harvey) people showed their true colors and everybody forgot about trump, kneeling, etc for a couple weeks and it was fkin beautiful. The joy people were getting out of helping strangers/ and the appreciation that was showed was unreal

18. AirPower

AirPower Member

I'm not unwilling to consider other perspectives at all, as a matter of fact I try to do that as a practice.

I was simply trying to explain a perspective that may be different from yours and/or apparently others on here.

I don't have an issue with the players protesting (they have a right to do that, just like people have a right not to watch), but when the purpose of the sporting event (for me personally) is to escape some of those things that bombard us on a daily basis, it loses some of that "escape" value when those things start showing up there.

I understand that it's a bigger issue than my entertainment, and maybe the way I support the cause they're protesting (which I do care about) is by actually watching the sporting events. In that regard, I understand where you are coming from. My preference is not to mix entertainment and politics/social issues, and that's where I end up a little torn. When it loses entertainment value I find that I would rather do something else with that time, but then when I don't watch I'm technically "not supporting" what they are protesting.... maybe that makes me a bad person? I don't know.

Anyway, the bottom line is, I like having actual conversations about these things, if I don't challenge my opinions (many of which I am sure are wrong), they won't ever change. The only way you can change someone's thought process/opinion (from my experience) is by engaging them in a thought provoking conversation (where both parties are _heard_ and given consideration). The second you start telling them to "check their privilege" or attack them like the poster I quoted below continues to do, defenses go up, the conversation ceases and a childish fight tends to ensue, and ultimately nothing changes. If anything, that kind of interaction only reinforces and galvanizes the negative stereotypes that the individuals already have of each other.

That's what seems to be one of the biggest issues in America today, we aren't able to have real discussions where we truly consider opposing points of view. If they don't agree, they're racist, they teabaggers, etc. Worse yet, if an African American man doesn't "tow the line", they "acting white", they're "house n_ _ _....", they're "uncle toms". No room for discourse anymore, it's only "us vs them" and if they're not with us we're going to shout them down... happening on all sides unfortunately.

Why are you so judgmental and prejudiced?

#118 AirPower, Sep 26, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Politics?

[​IMG]

macho87, Pen15clubber and AirPower like this.
  20. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I respect your reluctance to stand for something but not everyone is afraid to share their opinions on these matters...

I won't judge your cowardice but please stop shaming those who want to speak out and help people.

These are conversations that need to be had and they are very prevalent in sports whether you like it or not.

You cant censor and silence those who are brave enough to try to make a difference.