1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you give up Yao for T-Mac + #1?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by macho GRANDE, Jun 17, 2004.

1. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

"While Yao is a "high quality center" I don't think that he's yet shown the potential to be a legendary type center. Maybe lack of stamina, strength, speed, toughness, etc will develop more over the years but I'd prefer to have a dynamic, mobile center over a slower, deliberate one. As a matter of fact, I'd prefer to have a very young swingman that's a multiple scoring champ to a slower paced center that probably will never be able to recover on quick change of possesions to block a shot from behind or beat his counter part up the court for 48 minutes.
    And please don't try to make this into SOF vs YOF. It's not. Just my preferences."

This is my quote from the Clutch thread about Orlando's supposed wishlist. I didn't push the issue there after realizing that mentioning Yao in a trade had the potential of derailing the thread.

That being said, I'd really like to read others thoughts about a line up of Steve, Cat, T-Mac, Okafor, and Cato. Barring cap numbers could trading Yao for T-Mac and the top pick work?

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

OK, I'm out. This is starting to get silly...

3. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

How do the salaries match up?

4. randerson153

randerson153 Contributing Member

I would definitely do it. I would prefer to keep Francis and trade Yao. Yao is never going to be a dominant center in the mold of Hakeem and Shaq. Guys who are that big don't usually have long careers due to their bodies breaking down. I personally believed that Yao is not going to get any better than we've seen already, but Les isn't going to trade hime due to the potential sells and endorsements he's receiving from Yao's fan base.

5. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

NO.

All-Star caliber centers are the rarest find in this league. McGrady's at the top of the heap with swingman along with Kobe, but they don't make for instant contenders unless their last name is Jordan.

Steve, Cat, and McGrady would never work, anyway. Games too similar, and all need the ball in their hands to be effective. Horrible fit.

Evan

6. randerson153

randerson153 Contributing Member

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

no...not just no........but HELL NO.

even if Yao doesnt turn out to be the MDP in the league...he is still gonna be one of the top 2 centers in the league after Shaq retires.

and in case you didnt notice, good(possibly even great) centers do not grow on trees.

and this isnt even touching on his classiness and citizenship)which I value highly in the players on my favorite teams)

and before anyone jumps all in my ****.....we can get TM for less than Yao...so why even discuss it?

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

At home and because of my young daughters, we sometimes say SILLY instead of STUPID.

Since my daughters aren't here i'll say THIS IS STUPID.

9. sun12

sun12 Member

I would do it. But I would also trade Steve away for a PG.
    Steve and T-mac together would be very difficult to work.
    So basically, you would blow up the team.

10. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

It possibly could wor, but one of the reasons why Tmac wants to come here and play is Yao. He said wants to play with a Big Man who averages at least 15/10. And if thats okafor then why doesnt he stay in orlando.

Francis and Tmac might be one too many big egos on this team. I dont know how Tmac, Cat, Francis would play together since they need the ball to be effective. Cat might play like he did this season, but he could revert back to iso ball.

If we did trade for tmac we might lose him because he wont be able to sign an extension when we trade for him, we could only ask him to void his opt out clause. So if he is unhappy with francis he could just bolt after his 6th year instead of 5th. Same thing with Yao though, but I could see Tmac playing better with Yao instead of steve.

11. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Trade Yao + STeve + Cat + Cato + JJ for T-Mac + Howard + Gooden + T.LUe. BAsically, we blow up the team and become
    Houston Magics. :D

12. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Damn dude I was just asking (and tried to in a respectable manner). No need for your comments. You could've easily just carried on.

And thanks to those who chose to post a real response to a "just a thought" type question.

13. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

You have the right to post your ideas and we have the right to call your ideas STUPID

14. micah1j

micah1j Member

Even Orlando isn't STUPID enough to ask for Yao.

15. shawn786

shawn786 Member

16. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

I was pondering the same combination. I don't know that I would do it, but it is interesting. Yao's international appeal, the fact that the Rockets are the national team of China would keep me from doing the deal. If Yao continues to develope he will be bigger than Jordan.

17. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

Right on!

18. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I don't agree. We do not have the right to start stupid threads here. Remember posting on this bbs is a privilege and we are not supposed to waste clutch's bandwidth.

19. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Surprised that this thread has not been locked up.

Stupid thread, stupid suggestions, let alone the salary does not match + you don't trade a top 2 center for a guard unless he is MJ.

20. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

I don't think you trade a guy who's coming into his 3rd year and has the potential that Yao does especially since there are NO real centers left after Shaq.