1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you do this trade for Carmelo Anthony?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Oct 27, 2015.

?

Would this be a good trade for the Rockets?

Poll closed Feb 4, 2016.
  1. Yes, Carmelo Anthony is a star and Rockets are in win-now mode. KD is probably a pipe dream anyways.

39 vote(s)
    19.8%
  2. No I don't think that would be a good idea. We would gut our bench.

158 vote(s)
    80.2%
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Its not just the depth that makes this trade stupid, it's also the $$$. Melo has worn out in welcome in NYC simply because he's not good enough to justify his contract anymore, you think if he was LBJ or KD there'd be talk of trades? :rolleyes:

Almost everyone who wants to gut the team has no idea of the concepts of efficiency, defense and team play. To be honest, I have a hard time taking anybody who suggests we get the current Melo on the team seriously. If it was Melo 3-4 years ago, sure, but now? Dude is overweight, injury prone, slow and ineffective, he reminds me of Tmac before he got traded, relying more on his "rep" than actual ability to score anymore. And the kicker is he's making full price, IIRC the dude has one of the most expensive contracts in the league thanks to NYC being dumb and signing him for as much money as can be allowed.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

^ Thats not really true though.

He is still an effective player. 3-4 years ago Melo is pretty much the same as last years Melo.

It is possible he won't be by the end of his contract, but to try and argue he isn't good anymore is false. Melo is still a good player and significantly net positive.

Whether that is worth all the net positives we would have to send out is another question, and valid, but lets stay objective about this. I am not really all that high on trading for Melo, but to try and put "not a good player" as a reason to not trade for him is intellectually dishonest and not necessary. Morey aggresively pursued him a year ago for a multiple year deal, for a reason.

3. J Hard

J Hard Member

Nope, remember the Barkley trade.

4. OTMax

OTMax Member

Hahahahaha @ that suggestion, you gotta. Be. ****ing. Kidding. Me!!!

5. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Common sense would say no.

BUT if we can get Melo and get a championship, I say yes. Dwight aint got many years left. The time is now before it's too late.

6. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I find your use of btw to be excessive.

Okay, if you put me out there or a non-star on Team USA, the team is going to have a major weakness. That wasn't the case with Carmelo. He has done really well on multiple occasions. He plays well when he has good teammates. He won a championship in college when he had good teammates. He's won gold on the world stage. Are you trying to tell me that we don't have good players on the Rockets to surround him with? Your logic seems flawed. It's not like Team USA carried Carmelo. He was a starter. He was a good player amongst other good players and they won.

There are a lot of great reasons not to trade for Anthony, but his time spent with Team USA is a horrible example of why NOT to trade for him.

Try harder, btw btw btw. I totally out btw'd you.

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Melo looks so bad wow.

8. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Yep. He looks finished honestly. Very early days though. Would not touch with a ten foot pole.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

wow you used yourself as an example. not too bright lol.

why are you even using team usab as an example is beyond me. the only thing you have going for yourself here is that Melo would have another star next to him. Yet houston would have zero depth like team usa, when from top to bottom every single player can play at a high level. And in case you haven't noticed depth is extremely important with the way the game has evolved. The competition is barely even comparable in world games. Faried looked like a superstar on that team and i remember all the knee jerk reactions calling him this upcoming star. Please, hes far from that. Its the perks of playing on a team with great players and lesser competition. who cares if you think team usa didn't carry Carmelo. He was obviously a good player so theres no reason to think he couldn't hold his own. Any player on that roster could. that's the point of making that team. Everything you're saying is based on the past. Have you even followed Carmelo as of recent? Cause he's definitely not the same caliber player and if you think so then you don't follow him enough.

10. yeah

yeah Member

Melo may be a good player but he's a bad teammate. Besides, his gangster attitude wouldn't fit in here.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

What? Melo 3 years ago had TS% 30% higher than last year, he's clearly gotten slower and more ineffective. When you judge whether a player is good or not you need to take into account his salary, so when you say he's a net positive you have to consider all the other players you could've had if you didn't pay Melo his max salary.

Morey might've pursued him, but Morey also pushed for the Gasol-CP3 trade, how'd that work out?

12. verysimplejason

He's too slow on defense that makes him really not worth it. A stretch 4 should be able to stretch it and at the same time defend on the other end.

13. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Congrats guys!!! Its happening, we have acquired melo!!!!!!!

14. DMtheGM

DMtheGM Member

Sources?

15. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I think he is saying harden is melo but I dunno

16. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Take Beverly out of the equation and give them Ty Lawson and Deal!

17. Rox11

Rox11 Member

You guys havent been watching? He grew a beard now!

18. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

JH/DH/Melo would be a very very good team. Can they win it all? I dunno the Warriors and Spurs are playing so good that even guys like KD and lebron don't have a chance imo.

But it would make the rockets relevent and exciting not to Mention a better team.

I like the idea of having harden up top with melo in the corner over Trevor Ariza. It would open the game up for harden also not to mention dwight wouod feat on single coverage all game.

The defense is worriesm but the amount of pressure we would put on team with our offense could force teams to play out of character on offense and do things they don't normaly do because of how was we can score.

I'm all for getting melo because we should be trying to win now with dwight and James.

If we could keep bev thronton DMO and brew to go aling with adding melo this team could really challenge the elite imo. We would be on the level of the cavs OKC and clips imo. The cream of the crop is the Spurs and warriors and I don't think any thing the rockets can do would get to that level and that included getting KD right now.

Lebron just got blown out by the Warriors by 35 and he has a stacked team. We need to quit killing our guys and just realize it's going to be almost impossible to win a ring over the next 2-3 years while the Warriors do their thing. It sucks but sometimes good teams come around that do this. Barkley Malone Stockton to and a few went through this too. It's just the way it is.

Even the great lebron who has played on stavked teams the last 6 years should really only have 1 ring if not for a lucky 3 made by Ray allen.

The NBA is differnt now and spacing and ball movement is more important than having a lebron/JH/kD type player who is vall dominating.

Honestly JH is yet most likely to be able to play in this new style of play. He's a smart passer and a good shooter even though this year says otherwise. He just needs to learn to not hold the ball do long and play better off ball.