1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

would you do Pekovic for Martin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rjr, Feb 21, 2012.

1. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Howard is overrated. I stand by my statement.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He's only led a team to the Finals, and is winning games with a terrible supporting cast.

A superstar that doesn't need the ball. Those are nice to have.

4. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Would I trade Martin for Pekovic? Uh, twice.

5. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Terrible? I'm guessing you didn't watch the postseason that year.

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I considered something along these lines... I'd do it... but I'd let em keep Toliver and maybe try to get a pick instead (or include a pick to grease the wheels for LA)...trade works without him and with PPat, DWill, JHill and Smith - we dont need him or have a slot for him... Darko is not the most attractive option, but him and DWill for pretty near the same $ as Scola aint bad..

7. Rocketfan713

Rocketfan713 Member

Give me Pek, Randolph/Wesley Johnson and I'll consider it in a minute,

8. Pete the Cheat

I think you are grossly overrating Kevin Love's garbage man...
    The guy is on a roll, but eventually scouting reports catch up to you.
    I would wait to see how he adjusts when teams start accounting for him over the second half of the season before throwing out claims like that. Personally I would rather have Cousins or Monroe over the long haul, but that just goes to show how far the Center position has fallen...

I am on the fence with this package. I would want more than just Pekovic coming from Minny's side that's for sure...

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

How about:

Martin, Dragic, Hill

for

Pekovic, Williams and Ridnour

Not sure the TWolves would do it, as Pekovic appears to be the real deal, and they'd be throwing in the towel on Williams pretty quickly. but they get a better, younger, cheaper backup PG. And Williams does not appear to be on the verge of becoming an all-star anytime soon. If he wasn't drafted where he was, I'd question if he'd be getting any minutes right now.

From the Rockets perspective, it's a fair amount to give up really. You're betting on Pekovic. You're betting on Williams. And you're giving up cap flexibility. Both Dragic and Hill could be FA this offseason. None of the salary you are taking back will be. So you lose $1.5+ of cap room in the offseason.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

#1) No doubt they don't make the finals without Hedo or Lewis that year (of course the Rockets could say the same about so many players in 1994-1995).
    #2) I was talking about their 2011-2012 roster, which is indeed terrible, yet they are 21-12.

11. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

They would want a big man in return as well because Darko isn't and wouldn't be getting it done and Bud knows aldeman's offense as well. Add dragic, dally, and Bud and NY pick (lost a lot of value but minny doesn't have a guaranteed pick for this draft) for Wes Johnson and Randolph in addition to the guys you added.
    Lowry/Ridnour
    Lee/ Johnson
    Williams/ Parsons
    Scola/ Ppat
    Pekovic/ Randloph/ Smith

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

We'd have to throw in a first rounder. Pekovic is turning into a stud and Williams was drafted #2 overall.

I'd do the deal in a heartbeat. Which is probably why Minnesota wouldn't.

13. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

At the beggining of the year I proposed a deal that would have netted us Dwill and Peckovic without losing Lowry...

We'd have looked pretty good right about now and I think it was a trade that could have worked...

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well, that's why I included Hill. But I can see how he would be easily overlooked. I doubt Adelman would be clamoring to bring him in...

You're right, but I don't think it is as much a no brainer. Again, the Rockets are taking a lot of risk, too. Pekovic has basically 1 month of above average play, and there's a lot of variability in that month.

Williams looks as much like a bust as anything else right now.

Ridnour is what he is, with a long contract remaining.

The Rockets ultimately take on more 2012-2013 salary.

I don't think the Rockets are light years better with the trade. You're taking risks, pretty serious risks, and trading probably your most tradeable asset (other than Lowry, who they likely aren't willing to trade unless someone overpays).

The TWolves are so bad at the 2 guard position. Martin, especially paired with Adelman, would make them with Rubio and Love an unstoppable offensive team. They lose interior presence and interior defense.... but can you imagine Rubio, Martin and Love offensively. They're not making the playoffs as is, and offense brings in the fans.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You make valid points.

Would you quit wasting time here and go hunt down Morey with this?

16. rjr

rjr Member

What was your proposed trade?

17. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Adelman may love Martin, but he’s not dumb enough to trade Pekovic for him. Quality centers come at a premium, plus Darko is a constantly injured wuss.

What Pekovic is doing isn’t a flash in the pan. He was a beast in Europe and a projected lottery pick in 2008, but ended up being the first pick of the 2nd round because of his contract situation. Hollinger rated him as third overall on his draft board. The reason he didn’t see a lot of court time last season was because of slow adjustment to the NBA; he was a foul and turnover machine, and terrible on defense. He’s suddenly getting it though and really breaking out.

I would overpay for Pekovic, he is a McHale player to the T. Every time we see a big man with some potential we say it’s too risky to give up too much for him. “Gortat isn’t worth the full MLE, Lee for Asik is terrible.” Then a few months later they’ve shown their worth and we don’t have any chance at them.

18. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

because he can jump really high. he showed flashes of being good last year, but this year, his jumpshot is worst than t-will's jumper.

19. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

We would most likely have to take him if we did do a trade for Pekovic.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Agreed. I seriously doubt Minnesota, a young rebuilding team, would take Martin for Pekovic.

We need to send Martin to a team that needs a scorer in the playoffs.