1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you change the Texans back to Oilers?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by htownbandit, Sep 7, 2012.

1. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

That's because you don't get the point of the thread. Bud Adams is a piece of ****, we all know that and we know the mother****er won't give us back the Oilers, but in this imaginary thread he does and I'm asking if you all would go back to the classic Columbia Blue and Rig or stay Red White and Blue.

2. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I would do a throw back game in the uniforms but that's it.

3. AXG

AXG Member

I like the Oilers nickname and jerseys better than the Texans. I was still young when they moved to Tennessee. Through the tough times, I've always supported the Texans so I guess I'd rather them stick with their current identity.

4. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

They can't. Seattle kept the rights to the uniform and name.

5. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Random fact!!

On rugrats Stu was wearing a HOUSTON OILERS jersey and his brother Drew was wearing Dallas Cowboys!

Never noticed when I was younger! They never said Oilers or Cowboys but they were saying "go Houston!" and "go Dallas!"

https://yfrog.com/a/img620/3186/q4rtw.jpg

6. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

OKC has no franchise history. They don't have the championship banner in their rafters. The championship is credited to OKC until a new SuperSonics is formed

7. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

thats because they are sitting in a seattle museum on-loan from clay bennett. if he wanted to he could hang the banners and display the trophy in his arena. they belong to him and his franchise.. all seattle got was the rights to the sonics name and team colors.. they sell merchandise that states okc thunder established 1967 and display former sonics on their okc media guides.. obviously bennett has every intention to keep the franchise history...

8. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

Yeah... and technically that NBA Scoring title that Elvin Hayes won in San Diego is still claimed by Houston, as well as Calvin Murphy's 1970-71 All-Rookie selection, and of course that it started in '67 rather than '71-'72.

9. body slam

body slam Member

If we could have gotten to keep the Oilers colors and logo I would have been down with. The name Texans is a little generic, but the best of the choices. Plus we have one of the best logo in the NFL.

Still it would be cool if we could have a retro throw back game with Oiler's uniforms.

10. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I don't know what I hate more: Bud Adams or the fact that crappy-ass Dallas had an NFL team named "Texans" before Houston did. Houston was built on oil--like it or not. The Texans should have been called Roughnecks or Wildcattters. Something tough sounding with a nod to the oil industry without calling them the "oilers" and without calling them the name of some former Dallas team.

1 person likes this.
  11. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Never liked the name Texans. Not defined at all. What do they mean by a Texan exactly? The only names worse than Texans is Dolphins and Browns. Cardinals is also a terrible name.

But I wouldn't want to go back to the name Oilers. Especially the colors Oilers had.

I wish the name was Houston Hurricanes.

12. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Sorry about digging up this thread but was just thinking about this in comparison to the Browns.

How the heck/Why the F did the city of Houston not hold out to keep the Oilers name and history? Cleveland did it. Seattle did it. Houston just let Bud and Paul Tagliabue go their way with the Oilers name?

I wasn't/am not an Oilers fan so I didn't care back then but I find this puzzling as to why much of an effort wasn't made (if that was the case).

13. Raven

Raven Member

For the same reason we didn't get a shuttle.

And Bud & the Oilers are both burning in Hell - where they belong. I'd sooner wear a Utah Jazz jersey than an Oilers' jersey. They legacy was ruined by an old rich a-hole who died alone, and no true Houston fan could stomach supporting a name that TN Hillbillies got to use.

14. Apps

Apps Member

The Texans are who we are, and I have come to be at peace with it, but does anyone else think that the name was chosen for (partially) marketing reasons? I mean, any potential owner must've known that they would always be second fiddle to the Cowboys, so I think maybe they named the team "Texans" to appeal to a wider Texas audience and potentially supplant the Cowboys as Texas' go-to team.

At least we can seek solace in having one of the best logos in all of sports. I hope they never change it. It's a modern classic, IMO.

15. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I am still pissed about this and want the oilers name back.

My care and concern for the 'texans' would go up by about a million points if we were the oilers. Right now I cant stand them just because I cant get past the texans name. Its like a girl with ugly feet. I cant get past it. I have never been able to.

So here I am stuck in this weird world where I hate the texans because of the name.

its really that simple. If they were the oilers I would be wearing a luv ya blue shirt right now and my son would be named bum. But since this is houston and tradition doesnt exist it's about just shi**tting on these concepts.

Bulls on parade? yawn. Seems fake and fabricated just like katy/pearland. or a houston strip center. I cant get into it. I guess its the real houston though just like the carpet baggers that call a place 'upper kirby.'

Get real.

16. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

17. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

Now that I think about it I should've put a poll on here when I first made this. Anyway now that ownership has changed I imagine since Adams' passing anybody have any change in opinion should they agree to return the Oilers history? Or maybe just 1 throwback game?

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Change the name back to the Oilers. Bud Adams is where he belongs.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Yep, in a heartbeat...I miss the Oilers....I remember when they only lost to two teams and went 10-4 - and missed the playoffs.

Man, I grew up with those teams.

DD

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

See if you can go under 'Thread tools' at the top and 'Add Poll'.