1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you change the Texans back to Oilers?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by htownbandit, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Texans, Apollos, Stallions, Bobcats and Roughnecks were the original five choices. Stallions and Roughnecks were eliminated early on in the process.

It was all moot. There was an exactly zero percent chance they were going to be anything other than the Texans; a name I love if for no other reason than that it infuriates stupid people.

1 person likes this.
  2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Roughnecks would've been cool. I'd have stayed a Packers fan had they gone with Bobcats.

3. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

That's one of the many reasons why Bud took the name and the history with him. That and he's a spiteful cheap bitter old man. Dream on, but even after Bud dies the Oilers name will never be used again, Bud requested it to be retired and Paul Tagliabue obliged.

4. Raven

Raven Member

Roughnecks is approximately 1,000 times better than Texans.

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I love the name and logo. Just rolls off the tongue right.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've grown to love the name Texans but I understand why people don't like and do think they could have got a better name. I do love the logo though.

I miss the oilers and the oil rig but it's dead sadly. No point in living in the past.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I like the colors, have come to like the logo but still hate the name.

It's just some amateurish.

8. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Cleveland threatened to sue the NFL, which would have tied his move up in legal proceedings for years - as compensation for not suing, the NFL granted Cleveland permission to keep its name and history. Art Modell didn't choose that option; it was forced upon him. Cleveland would not go down without a fight.

Frankly, this is how the NFL should handle *all* franchise moves: If you want to move, fine - but you're starting from scratch. The very idea that the name Earl Campbell hangs on a rafter in Tennessee is just........

9. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

sounds like a single-A ball club name..

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Agreed. It sounds horrible to me.

11. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

Like I said, Toros would work fine in place of Texans and virtually nothing about the organization would have to change (logo works perfectly) plus it leaves room for change in the future. With Texans as the name we're locked into red, white and blue forever unless Texas changes the state flag.

And people would have routinely referred to the Roughnecks as the Rednecks so be careful what you wish for.

12. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly. You think "Houston, We Have a Problem" gets overused?

Going back over that point in time in Texans history, it turns out I was wrong. Roughnecks wasn't the fifth finalist, Toros was. However, I disagree with your assertion that they're "stuck" with red, white and blue. Why would they EVER want to change that color scheme?

13. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

As an inpartial observer (non Texan fan) out of the options that were put forth I would say that Texans was the right choice.

Now, because I have been a fan of the game since the early 90's and remember those 90's Houston teams with Moon, White, Jeffries, Givens and Duncan along with there dome stadium, artificial turf and colors so if there was anyway they could have been the Oilers again with the same color scheme and logo I would have been all for that. Reading this post I realize that wasn't a possibility because of Bud Adams but I wish Houston could have pulled off a Cleveland and kept the name and history.

I am also fond of the Oilers because they were invovled in the 1st game I watched live. I forget the exact year (but it would have been between 92-94) the Oilers were in Detroit to take on the Lions on Thanksgiving. The Oilers won that game with a late White td run.

14. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

This right here is what gets me the most.

#34 should be retired for all Houston franchises: Dream, Nolan, Earl. Disgusting that that history is in freakin' Tennessee. Disgusting that Warren Moon gave his HOF speech in Tennessee. I'm still pissed at McNair for not honoring Houston's NFL history, despite all he has done with the Texans.

15. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

I'm saying that it wouldn't make sense to change from the current color scheme short of lightening and darkening the colors (including white, which can be mutated to gray or even black if one of the main colors was de-emphasized) due to the Texas flag.

With another name, they could change the color scheme to whatever over time and it wouldn't be illogical, though I actually love the current duds and think they have a sort of timeless look.

16. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

17. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Yes. Yes. A thousand times yes. I was actually thinking about this 2 days ago.

I don't care about the Texans. Not one bit aside from the city that's conspicuously absent from the jerseys. Ultimately, like my dad who grew up there, I'm an Eagles fan.

But when I was a kid? I BLED Columbia Blue. I went to school with Warren Moon and Mike Munchak's kids.

WARREN MOON TO HAYWOOD JEFFRIES WON ME SOME TECMO SUPER BOWLS.

If Bud Adams dies (he owns the name Oilers), if the NFL un-retires the name Oilers, if they got back the history Adams stole from the city of Houston, I would celebrate my team coming home.

Until then, the only football team I care about in Houston wears
    Forever Orange.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This thread grows more re-tarded by the page.

The bottom line is that Adams owns the rights to the name, and it was his decision to take it away from Houston... nobody elses. The only way you keep the Oilers is to not have them move in the first place... a deal the city was unwilling to make with Adams.

I still think this city should be overjoyed they have the NFL again... especially in this era where the NFL has never been bigger, where fantasy football is slowly becoming the nation's favorite past-time, where the NFL has never been more accessible in regards to technology, and where every city that DOESN'T have the NFL (save for LA) would give up their first borns to be a part of it. It was already pretty damn big when we "stole" that expansion franchise away from LA... but it was not to the magnitude it is now. Its exploded. Sure, there may be a "saturation" point (especially if they think about having more mid-week games), but for now this nation can't get enough of the NFL.

Then, when you add that the Texans are now a winning team with a real window of opportunity to win it all... there really is no point of all this senseless griping over a name that this team NEVER had a chance of having. I'm sure Baltimore probably never wanted to support a "raven" over a "colt" (hell, there are still some people there that support the colts)... but all of that is virtually forgotten now.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

My preference...

Houston Texans - 2013 Super Bowl Champions

Also in 2012-2013, the dallas cowboys and tennessee titans both finish win-less, marking the first time 2 teams go 0-16 in the same season.

(I know, dallas has already won a game...I can still dream, can't I?).

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Houston Apollos ftw