1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you change the Texans back to Oilers?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by htownbandit, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Kinda like telling a girl you're dating, "hey look, I'm gonna start calling You Trisha, it was this chick I used to date, and we were in LOVE! Then, her Daddy got mad and moved her outta town." lol

2. That Boi Oz

That Boi Oz Member

NO! Texans all the way!

3. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

Obviously you have no clue what I was talking about. When the Saints finally won the superbowl, it was a long wait for them and their fans. Just like it would have been for The Oilers and their fans. Texans don't have that agonizing history to look back upon, they are a totally different franchise.

4. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

So what if the history isn't all that great for the Oilers? We had great moments and great players as well. I bet the Chargers or Browns who haven't had a great history wouldn't want their name to change or anything. The fans in Cleveland were crushed when the old Browns moved to Baltimore, and they got the Browns name back when they got another franchise! Also, the Sonics were left for Seattle and are deffinately going to use that when they get another franchise.

5. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

i understand everything youre saying. what im saying is that if and when the Texans win a superbowl it will be just as gratifying to the texans fans that have been watching and passionately rooting for houston football for 40+. the pain and suffering this city has endured dating back to the oilers hasnt been erased..

6. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

art modell chose to leave the browns franchise history in cleveland, he basically started a new franchise in baltimore with clevelands players. baltimore previous franchise history was moved to indy.. the sonics franchise history belongs to oklahoma city now, that 1979 nba championship is now thunder history..

7. Agent94

Agent94 Member

If you asked the question a few years ago, I would have voted to change the name to the Oilers. Now the Texans have grown on me and I would not change a thing.

8. Grape_Swisha281

I keep the the Texans, yea its kinda lame plus DallASS once had a franchise named it. The Texans name has grown on me especially with songs "Im from Houston Texas home of the Texans" are playing and the Bulls on Parade. We have our own identity now and id rather have a history of winning then years of agony and defeat for one SB aka the Saints. Would you rather be a franchise like the Steelers or the Saints? (pre bountygate)

9. BleedsRocketRed

Wrong. The Sonics team and history remains in Seattle.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

There was a time I would have said yes to this...but not any more.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

NO ONE can deny my opinion.

LOL...

12. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yes.

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K0EVm7fi0iQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

what other team names were considered before they settled on Texans?

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

There were 3 names up for consideration, IIRC.

Texans, Apollos, and something else.

I remember wanting to stick with the NASA theme (Rockets, Astros) and go with Apollos. Glad we went with Texans, though. I think our logo is one of the smoothest in the league.

I don't really get the obsession with bulls though.

14. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

nba.com on Westbrook making the ASG
    mynorthwest.com
    all the major sites list the thunders last championship as 1979 it also inclused all the pre 2006 division chmapionships as thunder history.... so no the history is not in seattle. it is rightfully owned by OKC owner clay bennett. the only thing bennett allowed is for seattle to keep the name and colors..

if the lakers get to claim the 5 championships from minny, why cant the thunder claim the title from seeattle, it is the same franchise..

15. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

16. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

Nah, the logo and name just does not cut it compared to the Rig and the Oilers. 2013 Houston Oilers Superbowl Champions! How about the Houston Oilers destroy the Tennessee Titans 42-0 in the AFC Championship Game, and blow out the Dallas Cowboys 63-7 in the Superbowl

17. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

The Dolphins are teal. And the Oilers wore "Columbia Blue" in case no one has made the correction.

Anyways, Apollos or Toros (PERFECT for a name change if there is any without changing the logo and adding in Spanish fans) would have been much better names.

18. conquistador#11

how about toros in old english letters, carnal? hope el mero mero bob mcnair can make it happenz.
    :p

19. Caltex2

Caltex2 Member

IIRC, the Thunder are gonna break out a throwback mid-90's Sonics uniform for at least a game this year. As a matter of fact, many hideous uniforms from that era will make an appearance. Who can forget these?

[​IMG]

Sometimes old looks that have been thrown in the trash should remain there, granted the Oilers HOME uniforms are a classic, timeless look in the vein of the Raiders, Cowboys (white), Dolphins, Packers and Eagles.

20. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

This may be super off topic but why don't more NBA teams either throwback or completely switch over to the older, cooler jerseys from the 70s-80s? Some of these current ones are just so generic. Also what was the point of taking the classic drop-shadow from the Lakers uniforms from the Showtime era? Smh.