1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you change the Texans back to Oilers?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by htownbandit, Sep 7, 2012.

1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

They can not. Everything Sonics was left in Seattle as part of the move agreement.

2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Absolutely not.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That's called the titans.

Abso-f***ing-lutely not. The Oilers are dead to me. They left. I have great memories of those years but that's all they are now...memories.

Live in the now. GO TEXANS!

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Love what the Texans stand for but I'd kill to be the Oilers again.

5. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

Well nobody says nothing about the baby-blue Miami Dolphins uniform! And I don't mean return the entire franchise to Houston or anything, I literally mean turn the current Texans roster and staff you know... Andre, Foster etc. and put them in the Oilers gear, and let the Titans stay in Tennessee and let the Oilers be re-born where they should be, in Houston. And about success in the playoffs... Anybody remember when the Rockets changed uniforms immediately after their 2nd back-to-back championship?

6. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

I would go back to the Oilers name and color scheme in a heartbeat. Texans have no history like the Oilers did. Even if they did suck for so long the satisfaction of one day finally winning the big one would be so sweat. Just ask The New Orleans Saints how that feels.

When I think of The Oilers I think of the old rivalry days of The Pittsburgh Steelers, or Cleveland Browns. That is what the NFL is all about history and bitter rivalry of iconic teams like The Steelers, Packers, or Cowboys. Sadly The Texans do not have that. Yes they could have that history in a few years down the road, but if I had to choose now I would go with a hell yes bring back The Oilers.

7. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

i do think the oilers name is a ton more clever then the texans. however, i love the texans brand and identity, the logo is easily a favorite by non-biased opinions around the interent.. our current logo will be our logo forever, there a few franchises that wish they could say this..

8. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

thats dumb, you dont think houstonians will feel the same thing.:rolleyes:

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Everyone stop and think about this for a second:

Do you really want to have the greatest comeback in the history of the NFL (that was against the Oilers) to be a talking point in every single argument about them?

Think "MJ didn't play in 95" myth x10000 in terms of annoyance. Except that the comeback wasn't a myth.

10. AFS

AFS Member

People need to quit living in the past. The Texans are our team now and the Oilers are dead.

1 person likes this.
  11. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

That...is a beautiful logo. One of the best in the league IMO.

All I really want from the Oilers is the ability to memorialize the great players from the past. But that would be a little weird since they have no connection to the Texans.

12. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

You just had to make me say this by bringing this to my attention didn't you?

**** Mike Munchak. I know his history with the organization but the Titans only have the history because Adams was a jerk and didn't do what most owners with class such as the late Art Modell have done by moving the team but letting the city have the name and history. So since he is the head coach of a division rival I say **** Munchak and anything he does to keep the Oiler's legacy alive in a place it doesn't belong.

13. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

No way. I love the name. The Oilers left, and any love I had for them went out the door for good.

1 person likes this.
  14. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

No, but I will never have the emotional attachment to the Texans that I had with the Oilers.

15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I could agree with that. Probably the most out of place sports name in the USA? :)

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I love the argument about how the "Texans have no history, so I don't follow them..."

... until they do get a history, and have an even bigger following. Jeez, the team only started in 2002 and already has quite the broad/rabid fan base. It will only get better with time and success.

17. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

And since the merger, the Oilers went to the AFC Championship game in '78, 8 years after. Where were the Texans in '10? Down in the cellar of the AFC standings. We already had an established history of Houston Pro Football with the Oilers, and the Texans finally after 10 seasons or something made their first playoffs. Sure the Oilers are known as a snakebit franchise but I would want nothing more than our current franchise to turn the Oilers name into a true winner.

18. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I do. I am a Texans addict, lol. I loved the Oilers, dont get me wrong. When I was 5 years old I used to cry when they lost. :eek:

Its just something about the Texans though, that I am hooked. Anything, and everything that has to do with the team, I read, watch it, whatever. The amount of Texans gear that I have is getting out of control. lol

19. Apps

Apps Member

I'll just leave this here for all the Oilerheads...

"Why Your Favorite Team Doesn't Give A Damn About You"

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7654198/the-writer-*****-my-dad-says-why-your-team-give-damn-you

"...What he failed to recognize — that any sane human being would — is that a stripper is always gonna be just nice enough to you to keep you coming back, but at the end of the day, she doesn't give a **** about you. You're just a hard-on she rubs up on for money. That's her job. And guess what? That's the same ******* way the San Diego Chargers and any other team feels about you. So the next time you want to get up and kick something, remember this: Your favorite team don't give a **** about you, so why the hell should you let them ruin your day?...

Today, the Chargers are threatening to move to another city if they don't get a new stadium. Fans in San Diego are calling radio shows and writing angry blog posts, saying that if the Chargers left they'd feel devastated and betrayed. And that behavior is no different than that of most sports fans around the country. Every time our favorite team does something selfish, for purely business reasons, we take it personally. Because we want to believe that they love us as much as we love them. But they don't. They just rub up against whoever has the most money.
    "

20. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

people blame tinman for bringing the clutch city days and older rocket history, but people really want the oilers logo, name, jerseys, why the change?

what if the texans win the superbowl? do you want to change to the oilers and stick with the name that won you a superbowl?

The thing I want is the history about the Houston Oilers, (earl campbell, etc)

the name texans is a little creative, and in the first three years I would have changed the name to the oilers, but we are the texans!

In philadelphia people love the name "Philadelphia Phillies"