1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you change the Texans back to Oilers?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by htownbandit, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes. Bring back the Oilers, their uniforms, and their logo. Just make sure Adams stays far, far, away.

2. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

[​IMG]

How can you say NO to this?!?!?!

You have to admit the colors are awesome and Oilers is a better name than Texans.

NO ONE can deny that.

3. Raven

Raven Member

Under no ******* circumstances. The odious Bud A-hole spitefully used the name in TN, so it has been forever tainted. It would be the sports equivalent of sloppy seconds, and that might be your kink, but it sure as hell ain't mine.

I do agree that the Texans is a lousy name for the team, totally lacking in imagination, but I'd rather the team be called the Houston Queens that go back to the Oilers. Nope, that name is dead.

Speaking of Bud. He's not getting any younger. Poor old geezer, knowing each day might be his last. Knowing that every time he takes a nap, it might be his last. Knowing that he will never live to see his precious Titans win a SB, and I doubt that Hell shows NFL games, except maybe to show his team losing in the SB, over and over and over and over again and over and over and over and over and over again.

Hey Bud, tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick, Art is waiting for you Bud, tick tick tick tick tick tick tick tick.

1 person likes this.
  4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The name was in Adams's family for two generations, it symbolizes not only his and Hunt's ability to expand (and personally subsidize) pro ball out of the Northeast and rust belt, but his larger and actually more substantive contributions to the city as an oilman.

5. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I never knew pro football in Houston as the Oilers, for me it has been the Texans since I became really aware of sports after the Oilers moved. I have enjoyed getting to watch the franchise grow as I have grown, despite its struggles. I am proud of the way the franchise is now, where we have gone, and where we are going. I take pride in the team as the Texans, and I think it would be a shame if anybody ever suggested trashing them for the Oilers. I was never around for Love Ya Blue, but I can certainly say that Bulls On Parade is something that I can take ownership of. The Texans are something that I can claim a loyalty to, something that I can say, "That is my team."

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

No and no.

And...a hell no.

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Hmm. Nope.

People are really bitter about the 'Texans' name. It's not great, but really whatever. One of the most classic, historic sports franchises of all time is the Montreal Canadiens. If you really think about it, 'Lakers' is a stupid name, but you learn to like it. Plus, winning and having stars made Lakers merchandise the favorite of bandwagoners the world over. And don't get me started on the ample amount of franchises with goofy names or names that don't belong in their current location.

8. Apps

Apps Member

At first the answer "yes" leapt to my mind, as I thought it would be cool to de-facto-reclaim old Houston history, but then I grounded myself and realized... the past is the past. Leave it where it is and move on. You guys are only torturing yourselves by thinking constantly about how much "better" the Oilers were in comparison the Texans.

Oilers gone. Texans here. You love Houston? You love Texans. You want Houston win? You want Texans win.

9. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

yep. win a Super Bowl or two, then try changing the name. people would **** bricks.

11. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

I have to agree, when they came up with the name the Texans I was disappointed. Although, I'd take Texans any day over Apollos or Stallions. Oilers legacy just can't be meshed with this team and that's how it should be.

12. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

I think it'd be cool to have alternate jerseys, but I'm not sure that would work out. Would the Thunder wear Seattle alts?

Wish the Texans had a different name, something space-related to fit with the Rockets, Astros and Dynamo but all good.

What were the other choices, if I may ask?

13. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

"Baby Blue" isn't a color grown men playing NFL football should wear ;)

14. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

Maybe the texans have a baby blue alternate uni?

15. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If I could take the current Texans team and change them to the Oilers? Yes, I would.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If this were 2001, i would say yes. I was in favor of continuing the oiler name.

But not now, I and virtually nobody under the age of 28 ever gave a damn about the oilers. I was only 7 during their last winning season, and by the time i started watching football in 95 the oilers sucked and would announce a split altogether after the season.

I never even had the slightest emotional investment in the oilers, they are a largely meaningless relic to me. Not to say i don't respect the hell out of Bum Phillips and Earl Campbell as Houston sports legends.

I've been invested since the word go with the Texans, this is my team not the oilers.

Baby blue is over-rated anyhow

17. solid

solid Contributing Member

Utah Jazz may be the dumbest even though we know where it came from.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

I followed the Oilers from their inception, and the powder blue uniforms were made fun of as being pastel and a bit "woosey." I am surprised that fans on this board think they were great, I don't ever remember people thinking that. Anybody remember George Blanda and Billy Cannon?

19. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

No way. I have some fond Oiler memories, but they're out weighed by the baggage and the exit. Bud and that franchise is dead to me after the way they pissed on the city on their way out.

Bull >>> Derrick. Trust me when I say no one outside of Texas thought the Oilers logo was awesome.

20. TheRaven

TheRaven Contributing Member

Thought that the Gamblers always had the better logo and colors than the Oilers.
    Grew up loving the Oilers but that black and red combination and the 'G' with the Texas map inside was badass.