1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you change the Texans back to Oilers?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by htownbandit, Sep 7, 2012.

1. htownbandit

htownbandit Rookie

Let's say in a perfect world Bud Adams would get that dick out his ass and lets the Texans franchise the opportunity to return to the Oilers and become a contender again under that name, and possibly win a Superbowl (or at least get there) like we should have at least once (1979 comes to mind) and the history involved with the City and the "Love Ya Blue" days, and if you really want to go way back, 2 back-to-back AFL championships. On the other had you have the Texans, a newer franchise that finally got it's first taste of the postseason last year and for people that want a brand new start. Given the choice I'll go Oilers all day. The Texans took me a little bit to get used to (not to mention since there was the Dallas Texans, and anything associated with Dallas is just blech) and the now-somewhat generic red white and blue color scheme and logo, but it wouldn't be the end of the world if they wouldn't go back to the Oilers and I'll still root for the Texans.

2. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

This franchise has slowly but surely defined it's own attitude, brand, icons and image. I think it would be great to have the Oilers history, records and potential for alternate throwback jerseys all back in Houston but I wouldn't mess with what we've now built.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

absolutely. love the baby blue uniforms. Would also love to walk into San Francisco's house and wave an oil rig flag in those hippies face. **** hippies.

4. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

For those that have really grown with this team...I can honestly say that its time to move on from the Oilers...really what have the done for our city...choking on the biggest stage with a 30 point halftime lead? seriously???
    Last years play off win was 20 years in the making...20...

After sticking with this team thru everything...I have clearly changed my alliance...and really taken up the Texans...The Oilers along with Bud have left the city...while there were some memorable moments...I have moved on...and so has most in this city...

1 person likes this.
  5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Make it to some AFC Championship games. Texans haven't.

10 of those years are the Texans. Oilers last season was '96. so 4-5 of those 20 years you mention are the Oilers. Dishonest.

My guess is you aren't old enough to remember the successes of the Oilers.

6. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

When I think of the Oilers I think of Bud Adams, sadly. I know there were great players and memories during the Oiler years, but ultimately I just think of Bud's shenanigans and tightwad ways.

I know Bud was being his usual spiteful miserable self when he took the Oilers name and history with him, but in a way he did us a favor by disassociating the city with his team and both parties have a fresh start, just like a divorce. Who wants to look at that piece of item that will just remind you of that no good slut cheating w**** who ran off on you anyways.

7. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

My biggest memories of the Oilers is the comeback, Keith Cash, and The Punch.

There was also Jerry Glanville being Jerry Glanville, Jark Pardee looking lost, and I'll stick with the Texans.

If the biggest thing you've known for is losing, then you kinda suck. Yes, I know, The Texans finally became good. Since the merger, it took about the same amount of time to finally get in the playoffs as the Oilers.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Would like to go back in time and change Bob Lanier to someone else and give Bud a stadium, knowing that he'd die at some point like Modell just did.

10. conquistador#11

Relocate to Tennessee if you want to dwell in the past. Earl campbell, Dan P and Father of Son of bum all love the Texans. If they can move on, you can too!

Here is to health!(toast)

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

When I think of the Oilers I think of PAIN, mine. No way, can't go home again. Earl and Luv Ya Blue will be a rare good memory. Most of the rest, I wish I could forget.

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

hell no. the oilers epitomized the Choke City moniker. good riddance. the Texans can make new history and stick it to Bud Adams before he croaks.

13. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

This. I'd love to be able to claim the Oilers history but I have come to greatly enjoy the Texans as its own entity.

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Oilers logo and uniforms were sick...

and the name "Texans" is dumb.

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Loved the Oliers but no. Appreciate the history, players and memories, but I'm more than happy that Houston is now the Texans city. On top of all that, this team will accomplish something the Oilers never did... Superbowl.

16. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

The Houston Tejanos.

17. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The Oilers are dead. Screw them. I'm a Texans fan. Go root for the Titans.

1 person likes this.
  18. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Not using the name made the new franchise crank out its own identity without latching on to another franchises past accomplishments or lack there of. I am glad they created a new name. I thought Texans was the worst name out of the choices but once I saw the logo and colors it was ok by me. Its grown on me a lot more as time as went on.

19. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I like a lot the texans logo, it is great.
    Also they would have to change a lot of things if the oilers were brought back.

- no more red jerseys.
    - the bull theme would be gone, and I love the bull theme all around.

20. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Oilers>texans. Period. End of story. Best ******* uniform/logo EVER. I would chip in to buy back the name and logo from the t*** but i will never forgive butt Adams for taking them away.