1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you boo Dream?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WhiteMagic02, Jul 13, 2001.

1. WhiteMagic02

WhiteMagic02 Member

Lets say that Dream signs somewheres else, like Phoenix or Washington, and we resign everybody else and are stuck with Cato/Collier at Center. When Dream's team comes to town how would you react? Would you cheer for the greatest sports figure in Houston history, or go the traditional route of booing the pro athlete that leaves via free agency?

I couldn't imagine ever booing Hakeem, but from seeing some of the posts on this board concerning the current situation, it would not suprise me if some of you did.

------------------

2. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

NO WAY!
    I'd clap for him when he came out on the floor then watch the inferior team he's playing on loose!

------------------
    This space left intentionally blank...

3. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Better way to ask this question may be :

Is your love for the Rockets stronger than your love for Hakeem?

Oh... and my answer would be "absolutely yes". The Rockets were before Hakeem and the Rockets will be after Hakeem, but I'd hate to see him not retire a Rocket just the same.

------------------
    "I'll tell you this, the older I get, the less I trust people. It's true. It's damn true." -- gr8-1 going through some growing pains.

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited July 13, 2001).]

5. Band Geek Mobster

Haquitten Olajuwon has a nice ring to it... [​IMG]

------------------
    So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking,
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

6. haven

haven Member

Let's rephrase this:

I wouldn', but...

If Hakeem strung the Rockets out all summer, and was pretty clearly the reason for Houston losing Mo T, Moochie, and Anderson, would you boo him then?

I would in that situation.

------------------
    Clutchcity.net... source for all your Rockets, Astros, political, music, humor, and Gordita news.

7. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

I cant boo Dream. Not even if he strung us along. I just can't do it. I would root for the Rockets to win the game of course but I have enjoyed watching him play for so long it just wouldnt feel right booing him.

------------------
    "I may be mistaken, but I'm never wrong" -Barkley

8. OT

OT Member

No way would I boo Dream. How can you forget all the years that he carried us on his back and the 2 championships(our only 2(for men)) he brought us. You want to talk about character. Someone who would boo Dream has none.

------------------

9. haven

haven Member

Let me get this straight: if Dream maliciously led us along without ever intending to sign, caused Houston to lose ALL of their free agents, and set rebuilding back by 3 years, it would be a sign of lack of character to boo him?

Come on. I actually don't think that would happen. I did want to set up a hypothetical test to see how far some people extend loyalty.

Let me put it this way: if your best friend seduced your little sister and then left her, do you you'd still be close?

------------------
    Clutchcity.net... source for all your Rockets, Astros, political, music, humor, and Gordita news.

[This message has been edited by haven (edited July 13, 2001).]

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Oh come on, just because there are people that don't want to tie up money in Hakeem doesn't mean they will boo Dream. I wouldn't boo Hakeem. The only former Rocket I boo is Scottie Pippen.

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I like haven's rephrasing better.

If Hakeem screwed the Rockets, I'd boo till my lungs were hanging out of my mouth. No player is above the organization no matter how great the player. If Hakeem intentionally/maliciously caused the organization to lose FA's then screw him. The only way I boo Hakeem is if he disses the organization. Otherwise, I would still be an Olajuwon fan.

------------------
    "I'll tell you this, the older I get, the less I trust people. It's true. It's damn true." -- gr8-1 going through some growing pains.

12. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Exactly Doc, that's why Scottie Pippen is disliked so much. Because he did everything you just mentioned!

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I might be more likely to boo Rudy and CD if they were dumb enough to let that happen.

Hakeem would be basically responsible for you being able to attend the game you were booing him at. Without him, the Rockets would not be in Houston, and you wouldn't be sitting there watching him. I would be hesitant to boo someone who made it possible for me to attend a ball game.

------------------
    "I guess that's YOUR theory"

14. haven

haven Member

TheFreak: Responsible for the Rockets being in Houston? That's completely unsubstantiated. The Rockets have a pretty decent management; I think there's certainly a very good chance that if Hakeem hadn't been the franchise player, someone else would have. It's not like Hakeem was the only terrific player to come out in the 80's.

Past merit doesn't excuse reprehensible behavior in the present. If he handles it like "business," I'll still cheer for him when he's not playing the Rockets. If for some reason he bears a huge grudge for his diminished role and abuses Rudy's trust... it would be time to think of unflattering nicknames.

------------------

15. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I don't know... I didn't know the Pre-Dream Rockets.

So Probably not...

------------------
    The title will come to ClutchCity once again.

16. Kingrene

Kingrene Member

Haven, if Hakeem seduced my sister, and then left her, I would still not boo him if I got court side tickets out of the deal.

Hakeem, if you are reading this, my sister is REALLY good looking, and I am ready to negotiate.

------------------

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

no way

------------------

18. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Member

Standing O, for Dream even if became a Jasshole!

Two rings riding his shoulders if he finishes else where, how can I forget what he started here!

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

never

------------------
    Rockets need power forward. Mo near now. Go near Mo.

You can Run from the bet, you can Rave at the bet...but you just can't hide.

20. Rockettebustier

Sure, great idea OT. lets just sign Dream and get on with the season, he deserves market value like Robinson, so lets just fulfill Hakeems demands. I say hell NO! Anyways, the Dream scenario is not the same as Robinson's. We have three more free-agents of our own to acknowledge and be fair to also, you must remeber this. The sad thing is, Hakeem seems to have forgotten this.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rockettebustier (edited July 13, 2001).]