1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you be content if Brock was Schaub 2.0?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Houstunna, May 9, 2016.

?

Matt Osweiller would acceptable...

Poll closed Aug 17, 2016.
  1. Yes

48.7%
  2. No

51.3%
  1. oelman44

oelman44 Member

This is a strange comment, IMO. I always thought Schaub outproduced his talent level, he never had the strongest arm but made good reads and put up pretty gaudy stats in his prime.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Agreed.

Very weird statement.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

If Brock plays at the same level as Schaub did, he should have better numbers because of the talent around this team. At least on paper.

4. Buck Turgidson

5. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

LOL. Ok you are right. Hall of Famer John Elway had "next to no impact" on the wins or getting the Broncos to the super bowl. Mea culpa. He's a crappy quarterback that never engineered some great comebacks, like, um, "The drive" against the Browns in the AFC championship game. Most victories by a QB and one of the most prolific passers in NFL history (all those worthless rushing TDs) and not to mention that crappy MVP award he got for sucking. But yeah, must be that mediocre non-voodoo magic that made him so non-impactful.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

6. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

If we're talking pure talent and IQ, I have no problem with Brock being Schaub 2.0. If we're talking mental fortitude, confidence, leadership, then I want Brock to be far better than Schaub. Schaub, even with a very good defense, wasn't going to lead us to a Super Bowl, not in my opinion, at least.

7. Buck Turgidson

He's a different guy, it's a different team, I hope in 10 years all yall are begging the next guy to be as good as Oz....

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The only things I'd want better than Schaub are:
    1) Less injury prone
    2) Stronger arm
    3) Mobility

Schaub was very accurate and good at reading defenses.

9. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

I may be wrong about this...but even during Schaub's good seasons, I never saw him play well against the top tier teams in the NFL. I can remember maybe one or two games Schaub completed a fourth quarter deficit and lead the team to a win...But there were many games that he made huge mistakes.

Brock's greatest advantage is his arm...And if he can channel his arm strength and improve on accuracy...we really may have something here. The great ones ALL have arm talent...but their football IQ allows to them to remain relevant even as their physical gifts diminish. Matt was NEVER such a player...

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

You must have missed Joe Montana during that similar period

I say it too much but if we can decsively conclude that players do CHOKE (the Peyton Manning element) its okay to say conversely that players can "EMERGE" in the high stakes situation. Why a choke label but no winner label?

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

I want more yards, more touchdowns, and MORE WINS!

12. Mr. Clutch

What about leadership, heart, and clutchiness?

13. Nimo

Nimo Member

Who cares. Who cares. And absolutely. That is assumed with MORE WINS. But I'll add one more.
    MORE HAIR!

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Schaub played in better Era for passing and QBs. It's difficult to judge raw numbers.

Elway's numbers are much worse than I'd imagined though. His first half was before my time, but older guys have said he dragged some subpar teams to SBs.

Heart, toughness, clutchness, and leadership come to mind when I think of Elway. Schaub was highly suspect in all those regards.

Elway was never "hanging on by a thread". He posted a 2.5/1 TD-ratio in '97 and better than a 2/1 in his final season.

Manning probably had the WOAT season for a SB winner.. <70 QB-rating... 1/2 TD-ratio

15. Mr. Clutch

We need a combination of David Carr (hair), Trent Dilfer (Super Bowl win), Vince Young (clutch), and Ryan Mallet (incredible upside)

16. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

Os has the physical tools and has shown he can beat good teams, if he can be coached up like I expect him to be, we have a full and open game plan and his wide receivers are as good as I expect them to be, Os will have top 5 stats by the end of the year.

I just do not see where we have great needs on offense.

Lamar Miller is a stud RB, which we did not have last year.

DHop is a stud WR who will have some help on the field this year that he did not have last year.

Jalen Strong ended the season strong and should only get better this year.

If Fuller and Braxton Miller show even 80% of what we expect, we will be an offense to be feared.

It is said that our OLine is better than last year and it was pretty good at the end of the season.

Shaub who?

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Jason Laconfora at his best:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.batt...th-texans-will-result-in-tears?client=safari#

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it. The Texans play a pretty big-boy schedule this year -- tends to happen the year after you win the division -- and expectations are high.

This can't be a situation like a year ago with the coach having the quickest QB hook in the history of the NFL. This is Brock's team. He's the guy (even if the head coach sounded ambivalent at best about that prospect in the intro press conference and never even met the kid before the owner had stuffed $40 million into the QB's pocket).

So, yeah, fair to say I am less than convinced this is the answer to the Texans' lingering QB problem. Coach Bill O'Brien will have to stick with him, but after drafting more weapons on offense there won't be any excuses here. While Houston's defense made strides in the second half of last season, this isn't the 2015 Broncos defense.

Playing in the AFC South would generally make things much easier for Osweiler, only that division might actually be halfway decent this year, too.

My crystal ball says: There will be some tears and disappointment here. And I have a hunch that this ends up being only a two-year, $38 million deal that leaves a fair amount of carnage in its wake.

18. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Good or bad, clutch or mentally sucking, I have no respect for Elway. I don't care how good he was, if you are snobby enough to tell a professional team in the NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE to not draft you and trade you to a team you actually want to play for, I have zero respect for you.

Same with Eli Manning... Just sad to watch

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm cautiously optimistic about this year, but just to play devils advocate.......

I think we still have a lot of question marks on the offense. (note: question marks aren't necessarily a bad thing)

Relative unknown at QB?
    Duane Brown's health? Backup plan just in case?
    3 new starters on the O-line?
    Newton's dropoff in play last year?
    Can Miller be an every-down back? He wasn't in Miami.
    2 rookie WR's, one who hasn't even been a WR for that long?
    Will any veteran WR besides Nuke step up? Didn't really happen last year.

Like I said, not trying to be a Debbie Downer here (those posts really annoy me), just trying to temper my expectations.

20. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I'm tempering for a different reason.. we seemed to plug holes in the offseason for the Rockets (a PG in Lawson) and look what happened, we plugged holes in the off season for astros (a closer in Giles) look what happened. Now Brock and Miller.. I'm scared what might happen.