1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would We Be Willing to Give Up Imperialism to Combat Terrorism?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, Mar 29, 2016.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

A lot of words for saying "get your infidel bases out of our Muslim holy lands".

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Funny enough, the only wahhabist on the board loves the bases. Think about that for a second.

But yes, the summary is: gtfo of not-your-country.

There shouldn't be a base in Germany either. You should have the full right to defend yourself if you please, the right to your own full sovereignty, the right not to have your leader's phone tapped by her bosses, but it would be awesome if you could remain pacified in that sense.

Also, stop selling so many weapons to the very people you hate. The wahhabists are what.. your 2nd or 3rd biggest customers these days? SPOILER ALERT: they plan to use them, on the people you wish had more of a voice in the ME. This is an area at least we can agree on, I hope.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

There is more than one wahhabist on this board.

At least you admit what your actual agenda is. The part you are not repeating here, but which I could dig up from earlier posts of yours, is that it is religiously motivated. Holy Muslim lands, and so on.

You do not understand world politics. The Krim didn't have NATO bases. Oops - what happened?

Again, you do not understand world politics.

Yes, we do agree on this 100 %. It is shameful and embarrassing that our governments allow these weapons deals to continue to happen, and that they allowed them in the past. It makes all their lip service about human rights ring hollow. Just like I am disgusted that they cater to brutal dictator and ISIS-supporter Erdogan and look the other way when that scumbag incarcerates journalists, does away with freedom of press, and continues to move his country towards a Saudi-style regime (I know they are still not that extreme, but directionally) - a regime from which he gladly took awards in the past.

There is no excuse for selling these weapons to Saudi-Arabia. None.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't know any other wahhabists on this board, but obviously I'm talking about Exiled. The point remains, and you know that.

Also, I do not subscribe to any notion of there being such a thing as a holy land. Once again, you are maliciously playing on what I am legally allowed to say. Why do you have to stoop this low? The good news is I know now that I can at least say: I don't believe in applying the practices prescribed by Islam, although there are lessons to learn from any ideology. Is that a clear enough statement of my position?

As for the other stuff, it's good at least you agree on the major point. Call it what you want, let's see what happens when big daddy is mad at you or can't protect you anymore. No idea what it has to do with the monkey Erdogan, whose time is up. Ukraine was stupid to leave that door open to Putin, neglecting their citizens, and allowing big Russian money to be so influential in Crimea. Not really a valid example comparing Ukraine to Germany, geo-politically or socio-economically.

Anyways, I've indulged your diversion of topic too much. Back to discussion.

5. Exiled

Exiled Member

i knew it , both of you missed me , lets make up for the lost time by doing this ..

when Mathloom skip his medication, he can be anythings

not sure he has agenda, at least a consistent one but one thing for sure , if he insisted to be your friend , make sure you take your Birth Control Pill, because its a matter of time before he #@%beep **** you lol

BTW, this is an awesome mathloom Mullah's lyrics
    [youtube]/r1U2myfSHDI[/youtube]

nada , politics , religions you name it, but he is ready to talk until he bore you to death

Again, BOTH of you do not understand world politics.

i admire Erdogan, the world would be better place if we had more of him, i do understand why Zionist and Khumenists don't like him.

but yeah its too late :)
    [​IMG]

6. Nook

Nook Member

Don't own it? What the hell are you talking about. I have never denied that the United States conducts imperialism..... just like a majority of legitimate Western World Powers the last 300 years.

Yes, and war is wrong, and so are many things. Human beings work for what is in their best interest or what they think is their best interest. None of it changes the fact that China and Russia would gladly absorb any influence available.

You are naive. Historically how have nations fared under China and Russian Imperialism?

The United States has dominated regional politics without challenge for over 30 years. Hitleresque? Sure...

7. Nook

Nook Member

Define what you consider giving up Imperialism....

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

A bit of no **** mixed in with "what now?". It does bring some side discussion on shrinking NATO and making it a more tighter meaningful alliance.

“We are the death merchant of the world”: Ex-Bush official Lawrence Wilkerson condemns military-industrial complex
    [rquoter]

Col. Lawrence Wilkerson is tired of “the corporate interests that we go abroad to slay monsters for.”

As the former chief of staff to Secretary of State Colin Powell, Wilkerson played an important role in the George W. Bush administration. In the years since, however, the former Bush official has established himself as a prominent critic of U.S. foreign policy.

As a case study of how the contemporary military-industrial complex works, Wilkerson pointed to leading weapons corporations like Lockheed Martin, and their work with draconian, repressive Western-allied regimes in the Gulf, or in inflaming tensions in Korea.

“Was Bill Clinton’s expansion of NATO — after George H. W. Bush and [his Secretary of State] James Baker had assured Gorbachev and then Yeltsin that we wouldn’t go an inch further east — was this for Lockheed Martin, and Raytheon, and Boeing, and others, to increase their network of potential weapon sales?” Wilkerson asked.

“You bet it was,” he answered.

“Is there a penchant on behalf of the Congress to bless the use of force more often than not because of the constituencies they have and the money they get from the defense contractors?” Wilkerson continued.

Again, he answered his own question: “You bet.”

“It’s not like Dick Cheney or someone like that went and said let’s have a war because we want to make money for Halliburton, but it is a pernicious on decision-making,” the former Bush official explained. “And the fact that they donate so much money to congressional elections and to PACs and so forth is another pernicious influence.”

“Those who deny this are just being utterly naive, or they are complicit too,” Wilkerson added.

“And some of my best friends work for Lockheed Martin,” along with Raytheon, Boeing and Halliburton, he quipped.

Wilkerson — who in the same interview with Salon defended Edward Snowden, saying the whistle-blower performed an important service and did not endanger U.S. national security — was also intensely critical of the growing movement to “privatize public functions, like prisons.”

“I fault us Republicans for this majorly,” he confessed — although a good many prominent Democrats have also jumped on the neoliberal bandwagon. In a 2011 speech, for instance, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton declared, “It’s time for the United States to start thinking of Iraq as a business opportunity” for U.S. corporations.

Wilkerson lamented, “We’ve privatized the ultimate public function: war.”

“In many respects it is now private interests that benefit most from our use of military force,” he continued. “Whether it’s private security contractors, that are still all over Iraq or Afghanistan, or it’s the bigger-known defense contractors, like the number one in the world, Lockheed Martin.”

Journalist Antony Loewenstein detailed how the U.S. privatized its wars in Iraq and Afghanistan in another interview with Salon. There are an estimated 30,000 military contractors working for the Pentagon in Afghanistan today; they outnumber U.S. troops three-to-one. Thousands more are in Iraq.

Lockheed Martin simply “plans to sell every aspect of missile defense that it can,” regardless of whether it is needed, Wilkerson said. And what is best to maximize corporate interest is by no means necessarily the same as what is best for average citizens.

“We dwarf the Russians or anyone else who sells weapons in the world,” the retired Army colonel continued.

“We are the death merchant of the world.” [/rquoter]

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Give it up? We probably should have been more conquerors - and more imperialistic, in the end.

DD

10. Exiled

Exiled Member

i was waiting for someone to say : What American imperialism are you talking about !!

the thing i know , the US has been non-profit /non -control organization

it helped japan ,Germany , South Korea with almost no return...

it destroyed Iraq and gave it away to Iran, same apply in Afghanistan.., all the contract and money went to Russian ,Chinese and such..

sometime i wish there is a real imperialism at least it would make sense and would be predictable , what we see here is the Foreign Policy hostage to Israeli's lobby and AIPAC.

here is a Question : name the 2 countries in ME that did not receive a single attack from ISIS/Qaeda for the past 24 years!

A:

Iran+Israel , it pay divdients sometimes to sponsor terror

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

edit nevermind

12. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Wow!! An unreconstructed 19th or is it 15th Century? imperialist.

13. DaDakota

Supporting Member

We are the only country that has conquered another and voluntarily gave them back their sovereignty.

In the end, if the middle east continues to spread their 1400 years of arguing about which definition of their religion is right, the rest of the world will have enough, and it will not be pretty.

DD

14. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I'm sure if someone conquers you today, takes your house, gives you jizzfilled blankets with the intent to give you diseases, kills most of everybody you ever cared for, treats you like animals for centuries....

you'd be grateful that hundreds of years from then they gave you back a tiny fraction of your land. :confused:

I don't think you're bad person, which is why you should craft your statements much more carefully. What happened to the native americans was an atrocity, tooting your own horn about giving back something you stole is evil.

1 person likes this.
  15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Have there been a time in history of Chinese imperialism? I always thought China was always an isolationist until it got weaker and became a victim of imperialism.

Or are we talking as far back as Genghis Khan, but those are Mongolians.

16. Exiled

Exiled Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uyghurs

17. Exiled

Exiled Member

from a financial point of view , it did not make sense . it did not make sense too to tailor the strategy over what Iran wanted or Israel

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/07/w...iran-before-iraq-invasion-book-says.html?_r=0

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-iraq-war-anniversary-idUSBRE92D0PG20130314

18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

The Indians were not a country - my grandmother was Indian, I am part Indian, they were conquered this is true, every country has conquered territory - it is the way it goes.

Honestly - what we are headed towards is a desensitization of war or a region and religion and when that happens, genocide sometimes follows.

That is not pretty.

DD

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

That's just the way it is
    Some things will never change
    That's just the way it is
    Ah, but don't you believe them

I don't think we should ever be remotely comfortable with genocide...that needs to be more than "just the way it goes."

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You don't have to be comfortable with it to understand that it is the way it is and has always been. People conquer land from those who previously conquered the land from others. Oftentimes lots of people die in the process.

Denying that won't change anything. Being upset about it also won't change anything.

You can try to stop it when it happens, but do those who conquered the land previously really have THAT much moral ground to stand on?