1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would this make you mad or am I overrreacting?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gr8-1, Jan 27, 2008.

1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

My parents own a restaurant. Said restaurant is very busy and is rated #1 (in it's genre) in the city. Said restaurant is the reason why my parents were able to help me and my girlfriend survive some lean times in Austin (financial help from parents of course).

My girlfriend's mom eats occasionally at one of the competitors places. An I wrong to be a bit perturbed? The menu is the same, etc. I take it as a slap in the face, though I guess one customer doesn't make or break you, but I think it's a loyalty issue.

Of course, she would eat for free anyway, but I don't like the idea of family putting money in someone else's pockets.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Maybe she just likes the other one better. Just because the menu is the same doesnt mean they are exactly the same.

3. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Maybe she's just comparing. And I'd understand if she doesn't wanna eat at your place always cus then it would be free and it'll look like she's free loading all the time. My friend works at a restaurant and whenever I go, I eat free.. and I don't go there often, or at all. I don't wanna look like a free loader.

4. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

I understand your beef, however, unless your friend's mom is somehow invested in the restaurant I wouldn't get too worked up over it. If you and your girlfriend get married and both go into your parents business then you could maybe make a case but should Budweiser workers never, ever enjoy Miller time?

5. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Reminds me of that bit from a Dave Chappelle stand up about him drinking both Pepsi and Coke. Whichever recently paid him is better.. haha.

6. gr8-1

IMO, putting money in the competitor's pocket is always bad. Now, these bud workers could care less and I understand that.

I know a girl who was visiting a friend who's dad worked for pepsi. She accidentally brought over a pepsi product and he was livid, lol. He said "you don't like coke? Guess what? That car in the driveway, the pool in the backyard, that's from coke. Don't let me see you drinking pepsi. It's bad for us." And he wasn't the owner.

I think the free lunch thing is a major factor.

7. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Maybe she hate you and wishes you were dead?

8. gr8-1

It ain't like she would be part of an exclusive club. Alot of people feel that way about me. Hell, I'd say 1/4 of this board.

9. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

You know how they say to look at the mother if you want to see how the daughter will be in 20 years? Take a close look, buddy. Maybe your girlfriend/future wife will be sampling 'restaurants' other than your own in your future. Think about it. ;)

10. gr8-1

Not if you've seen the sausage I've been serving.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So where or what is this mysterious restaurant?

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Is it McDonald's?

Is the competitor Burger King?

Sorry, but those are very different.

13. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Exactly. Don't you have a favorite Mexican, Thai, Indian, Greek, etc restaurant? Most of those places have very similar, if not identical, menus yet most people have a favorite. There are three or four Thai restaurants in a two mile radius of where I live, but 98% of the time I go to the same one. I just like their recipes, how the food tastes there...

14. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

i know i sure do.

15. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Maybe she knows she'll get special treatment at your parents' restaurant and she feels guilty for not having to pay. Unless your parents make her pay each visit, she's better off not getting involved.

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Overreacting? Are you kidding? You should slap that silly b**** and tell your girlfriend that the wedding is off. How dare her mother eat at another food establishment. Overreacting? When I saw this I couldn't believe you were able to even control your emotions as well you seem. She is obviously trying to destroy your relationship. Eating at another restaurant? What, your daddy's place isn't good enough 365 days a year? Every single day? With a discount? What's next, do you think she might start driving a Chevy when you're a Toyota guy? The horror, the horror.

This relationship is over, but there is no way in hell that you're overreacting.

17. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

you're dating the daughter, not the mother. the mother-in-law's job is to make your life a living hell. catch my drift?

18. Buck Turgidson

Why don't you ask her why, politely? Or talk to the gf & ask her to find out?

Don't think it's anything to make a big deal out of.

19. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Jeebus, if this is all you have to exercise your outrage on you might be just a bit too self involved.

She can eat wherever she wants whenever she wants and it's none of your business. I've got nothing against freeloading, I was a huge freeloader in my youth, but your Mom and Dad choose to do what they want with their money. If they want to support your girlfriend, fine. But neither they or your gilrfriend's mom are obligated to support you in any way if you are over 18.

Maybe she's got the hots for a waiter over at the other restaurant, maybe your parents give her a discount because she is your girlfriends mom and she doesn't feel right about it.

This is absolutely a non-issue. Now, get back to work.

20. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

you're stupid. you have way too much effin pride. how about you telling us what you're families restaurant name is and we'll let you know if it's really number 1 in houston.

btw are you taiwanese?