1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would the Texans draft Colt McCoy

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ROCKET RICH NYC, Oct 19, 2008.

1. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

If the Texans had the ability to draft Colt, would they?

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I would say no. They have a lot of money invested in their two QB's and defense looks like it should be a priority in the off-season.

3. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Whats he projected as? I'm guessing 2nd rounder.

In that scnerio, I doubt it.

4. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Assuming they do bad again, and they wanna take a QB, then Sam Bradford would make more sense because he is projected to be the best QB in next year's draft.

5. ROCKET RICH NYC

ROCKET RICH NYC Contributing Member

Texans had a lot of money invested into David Carr too but that didn't seem to stop them from letting him go. I do think Defense is a priority. Look at how they almost blew it against the Lions.

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

No, not in the first 3 or 4 rounds anyway.

We've got a pressing need at DE. We could use upgrades at both safeties and may need to replace Morlon Greenwood at OLB. We're not set long-term at guard, and we could probably use another RB considering Green is old and injury prone. Running backs just don't last very long unless you have someone to help carry the load (see Larry Johnson, Shaun Alexander).

And if you're thinking we'd draft him to come in and start, that's crazy. We've got a lot invested in Schaub, and even if they gave up on him they'd give Sage a shot. Maybe if we traded Sage for a couple of picks they would consider drafting Mccoy as a backup, if he were to be around in the mid to late rounds.

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't see how he lasts longer than the top 15.

Maybe I'm a bit bias, but this kid makes better decisions than many NFL qbs.

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Colt isn't going to leave Texas for the NFL this year. You can sig me on that.

9. Landlord Landry

Texas QB's do not translate well into NFL QB's.

10. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

Mental capacity and intangibles-wise, he may be NFL-caliber and beyond, but his arm strength may be a little susceptible right now, as is the case with 90% of the Big 12 QB's (except for Sam Bradford and Josh Freeman). But he does throw most of his intermediate passes with a good velocity and he doesn't throw a lot of deep passes , he shows a lot of touch and accuracy (big understatement right there). But it doesn't matter right now because he won't leave after this year.

11. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

Colt is able to do so much more with less talent around him. Every other QB in a Longhorns uniform had some kind of safety valve they can go to whether it be a RB, WR or TE. I haven't really been keeping up with the Horns but it seems that Colt is the only player that's draft worthy on the offense side of the ball. With that being said I think he'll be a decent football player at the next level.

12. Bag0b0y

Bag0b0y Member

Are you Colt? Unless you're him, a family member, a close friend or his girlfriend you can never know what goes on in a players head much less know his plans for the future. If he wins a National Championship and the Heisman his stock would be the highest it will ever be. (unless he wins another a year later). I know people were saying the same thing about Vince as well.

13. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

His safety valves are Jordan Shipley and Quan " I never drop passes", and his ability to run.

14. eric281

eric281 Member

I think you'd be much more likely to see Brian Orakpo lining up opposite of Mario Williams next year.

15. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I rather go with an end to go with Mario.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

OK. This is *not* a UT bash here.

But are we going to get constant pressure from the UT fan base to draft their players year in and year out?

This is getting kind of old.

The Texans will draft the players that best benefit their team.

If Colt McCoy is needed, we'll draft him.

If he isn't, we won't.

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Colt came out and said that he has absolutely no interest in leaving for the NFL. Obviously we've heard it before but Colt is one of those guys that wanna stay just to compete for National Championships.

I also think its way too early to think about replacing Schaub, we've invested a lot in him.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

The way things are shaping up it looks like our needs will stack as such..

1A) OL (Brown may have been our first pick but we still have zero depth)
    1B) CB (We are one injury away from starting a guy who is bagging groceries currently)
    2) SS (It would be nice to have someone that can take people's heads off in the secondary, since Boulware didn't work out)
    3) DL/DE (Weaver and Johnson are getting outplayed consistently by undrafted FA Bulman, obviously something is wrong)

19. eric281

eric281 Member

Absolutely not. We are doing well at CB for once. Look for action at DE and LB. SS will be drafted later, no sense in wasting high picks on a SS, but an amazing FS might work. Much more likely to see another pass rusher and some real talent at LB. Diles has been a great value, the Texans getting a starter out of a 7th rounder is good, but it's definitely the position we could most easily upgrade. Would make a huge difference.

20. Yao_Mac

Yao_Mac Member

Size matters a lot...I think a lot of people like Sam Bradford's size, so he'd go ahead of Colt and Colt is what 6'3" at best? It's hard to see him going in the first round.