1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would the Texans be nuts for trading Foster midseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rumblemintz, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Rumblemintz

Rumblemintz Member

...or even after the season assuming he's healthy and as productive?

My opinion - NO. RB is plug n play in this offense and though Foster is a special player, RB's have a limited time frame of production. Get a high pick or multiple picks and set up some cap room. QB will come into play real soon and sorry, Yates is not the answer.

IMO, a respectable move.

2. CCorn

CCorn Member

Ban him?

1 person likes this.
  3. conquistador#11

I want to grow old with foster( and by old I mean until he turns 29years and 10 months)
    I wrote a poem for his awesomeness..will post later.

4. Rumblemintz

Rumblemintz Member

can't wait to hear the poem...lol.

29 is a bit long in the tooth, especially when you've got hammy issues and have been 'paid'.

5. 713

713 Member

Not sure if trollin or serious....

6. Classic

Classic Member

Did you watch the Baltimore game?

7. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Short of getting an offer we can't refuse (multiple 1's), there's no reason to look at trading Foster.

8. Rumblemintz

Rumblemintz Member

Dead Serious.

Do you really think he'll play out the end of his contract as a Texan? That's silly.

9. Apps

Apps Member

Arian isn't just a RB that has been plugged in... he's a legitimate superstar in the league and is arguably our best player. How many teams out there could afford to just trade away their best player??? Yeah, not many.

The package you get in return would probably not make up for the significant drop in offense we would suffer. Arian wasn't only a dominant rusher last season, but was also a legitimate passing threat out of the backfield. Your concern about his production, what with RBs having limited shelf-time in the NFL, is not really valid or relevant at this point in his career. Trading him would be a perfect example of over-analysis. What's the use of "foresight" when you completely ruin everything good that is happening NOW?

Thirdly, he's the character of the team. He's the immediately identifiable superstar that will always give the Texans attention in the media. If Arian does something special, the Texans will be in the headlines; if he messes up, the Texans will still be in the headlines.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

11. Rumblemintz

Rumblemintz Member

Ok...You and I are 180 on this. I respect your position but disagree.

AFTER next season, his 4th how many superstar seasons do you expect? I'd be happy with one more, delighted with two. We do have Ben Tate who's contract we will have to deal with around this timeframe.

He may be a 'character'. But I hope he's not the character of this team. I find him kind of Hollywood. After watching Chris Johnson blow up in the Titans face I'm just a tad concerned. And yeah, the comparison is warranted unless you have short term memory issues.

12. droopy421

droopy421 Member

The Chris Johnson scenario is not the same in this case. Totally different people in completely different situations. Foster is special.

13. Rumblemintz

Rumblemintz Member

So was Johnson. I mean really, he was...maybe still is, we'll see.

I'm not saying Foster is not special. He's got T Davis' vision and I love the way he's able to change up his speed. He is special. But two years from now he may not be as special. As special as he is, he still had hammy issues, fumble issues and get's benched for 'unknown' reasons.

Emmit Smith and Terrell Davis were perennially special.

14. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Go ahead and look at Ladainian Tomlinson's numbers from his first 2 years in the league and compare to Arian.

Then look at LT's next 6 years and talk to me about the shelf life of superstar running backs.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Whose 29? Arian Foster is 25....

I laugh at anyone thinking all RBs are replaceable. Yeah most are...but usually the elite RBs have a good long career and years of excitement. Get outta here with that.

You wanna trade the guy who was leading this team on offense for most of the year ESPECIALLY in the playoffs, the guy that ran all over the Ravens D in the playoffs (despite no other RB doing just that) just for some first round picks?

You do realize that Foster is a top 5 if not top 3 HB in the NFL? As long as he is producing you keep him.

16. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And don't forget that Arian accepted a very friendly deal in an era when players hold out "to be the highest paid______" in the league.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's 5 o'clock somewhere

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Foster definitely has it. When everyone was hooting & hollering about Tate's performance I was like man... that Arian foster is THAT good.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

With the genius we have running our cap space I wouldn't be surprised if we have to trade him to resign Watt or some other players SMDH.

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

Sounds great. I will take Aaron Rodgers and a box of State Farm coupons.