1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would the Rockets be this good right now if we had Carmelo over Anderson?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Nov 26, 2017.

?

Would we be better right now with Carmelo or Ryno?

1. We would be better with Carmelo Anthony

49 vote(s)
    33.6%
  2. We are better with Ryan Anderson

97 vote(s)
    66.4%
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Okafor?

No thanks

ElPigto and Reeko like this.
  2. James.B.H

James.B.H Member

If everything clicks, our ceiling might be higher with Melo than with Ryno in the playoffs. But bringing in a post-prime superstar like Melo always comes with a risk of chemistry issues because of their ego and hard to change playing style.

There are too many assumptions need to be made for Melo to work in Houston, I love our chemistry and Ryno's unselfishness.

Tfor3 and Mazulis like this.
  3. fattz

fattz Member

These were my thoughts, too. As a Rocket fan I am so happy I was wrong about Anderson. With his play this season he is a solid to good contract. He now plays both ends of the court and his spacing is must for the system to work. He worked hard last year, too. He just seemed a 1/4 step off most of the time last season => there but not really. His hard work over this off season shows. Much credit to him.

4. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

What is making us a better team with Anderson right now is the fact that Ryno has finally decided to rebound and play D. Would Melo be doing the same had he been traded to HOU? Maybe and if so I'm sure we would be a slight better with Melo.

amaru likes this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I fixed it for you

[​IMG]

Tfor3 likes this.
  6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

A home game where Ryno finally hits his threes and the board forgets how much he can disappear when you need him.

I stand by what I said when he went to OKC. As constructed we are not at GS level. Unless on of their core 4 was out from injury I don’t think we could beat them in a series. Melo possibly maybe could have been enough because he can create his own shot and would give the offense more options. Therefore yes we would be better off.

Ryno is a one trick pony who may fit in the system but talent ultimately tells in the NBA. And Melo is a far superior talent. Big 3s usually do very well whether it’s Pierce, Garnett, Allen, or Lebron, Wade, Bosh, or Kyrie, Lebron, Love, or Durant, Klay, Curry etc. Typically assembling as many stars as possible is tried and true. I think OKC will ultimately figure this out and right the ship as it always seems to take time to get the big 3 teams to go at first.

Exiled and amaru like this.
  7. amaru

amaru Member

I still think we’d be better. Not sold on Ryno maintaining this level of play when the intensity ratchets up in the post season.

Hopefully he proves me wrong

Exiled likes this.
  8. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

Would you rather have Anderson standing there waiting for the ball from Harden or Paul when he is wide open..

Or have Harden and Paul trying to get the ball back from a 4 for 17 Melo?

peleincubus, Easy and Mazulis like this.
  9. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

It's hard to know what would have happened. I think Melo would have fit in well, especially considering how close he is with CP3. He would follow CP3's lead and defer to Harden.

amaru likes this.
  10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

More comparative stats:

In OKC Melo plays his minutes with Russ or Fatty Felton at the point passing him the ball, and they need him to score.

In Houston Anderson has Harden and CP3 passing him the ball. And he isn't

If Melo were in Houston, he would have Harden and CP3 passing him the ball, and might not need to have such a high usage rate because he'd be getting open looks.

I think it's almost beyond doubt that Melo would be better if he were playing here, but it seems like Melo bit the bullet going to OKC to play with Russ...

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You can still add a poll, yourself.

In your OP, look to the upper right of the post. See "Thread Tools" submenu. Click that and "Add Poll"

jacoby likes this.
  12. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

Ability to create is not as important on the Rockets as on other teams. They have 2 point gods. I think the window for Melo is gone. I'd much rather have PG13 next summer for his defensive skills if we can't get Lebron.

13. da_juice

da_juice Member

I agree it's not as important, but (and I believe another thread discussed this) I wish we had a longer perimeter scorer to draw attention away from Harden. So a Melo, a PG13 etc.- someone that doesn't allow teams to put their longer defenders on Harden without really getting burned.

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Some of you all talk with so much damn certainty. None of us know how it would have worked out. I'm not disagreeing with the analysis regarding another shot maker, another dimension to our offense from a proven scorer, etc. I just think it's silly to talk with such certainty when at the end of the day nobody knows. Melo was not a sure thing. There are plenty of players we can talk about that could be a sure thing (hypothetically) but Melo is not one of those players. I don't care about him being BFFs with Paul or Harden/Paul being unselfish willing distributors. Melo has always played a selfish style of ball outside of team USA.

Kim and Easy like this.
  15. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Pg13 is the guy we should have really tried to get.

If we ant get Lebron go hard at pg13.

Although, I think it may be easier to get Lebron, he's older and is good friends with cp3 and may take a discount on a 1 yr deal to see if he can get it done with harden and cp3.

Pg13 wants the max money and years. Lebron imo for one doesn't need the money and two is most certainly going to take a 1 yr deal wherever he signs.

If the rockets can get dump Anderson this summer they might be able to pull off Lebron if him and cp3 sign for 25m a year each.

s3ts likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

If you were to tell me right now, I could go back in time and get Anthony for Anderson..... I would be slightly more likely to do it than not. I expected Anderson to improve his team defense and thought he (and Ariza) would shoot better with Paul. So Anderson contributes. Anthony would stagnate the offense some at times, and his defensive effort and consistency would be an issue (no idea how to defend in the team concept or in transition). Still I think he would shoot better and rebound better than he has in OKC. I also think he would surprise with his cutting to the basket.

17. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I disagree about the ISO thing. I think the Rockets system and culture would change melo. OKC (westbrook) culture supports selfish iso play.

I would support a 12mil Anderson over a 25 mil melo.

18. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Fantasy, Lebron is like F it I am all in and both him and cp3 sign for 3 years 25 mil. Unfortunately it would look like we'd have to dump capela because he would want 15 mil prob.

19. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

We should just appreciate how Anderson's handled all of this. It was pretty evident that the Rockets were ready to ship him for Melo as soon as NY agreed. Even after it all falling through and his future with Houston uncertain, he came into this season ready to up his game.

anchel, Kim, RockWest and 2 others like this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

the ideal role for Melo that I always had was him taking 12-13 shots a night as a clear 3rd option on this team instead of the 17 shots a game he takes in OKC...he would try to be as efficient as possible with those 13 shots and make quick decisions/shoot a lot of spot up threes

I was imagining 17-18 ppg while shooting like 46% from the field and 37-38% from 3 on 7-8 attempts a game

I still think he’d be capable of doing that here, and I would take that type of player over Ryno, but I have some doubts about Melo...some guys just never change

peleincubus and Daddy Long Legs like this.