1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would the Rockets be able to make a big move next summer as well?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ag3ntgandhi, Jul 1, 2013.

1. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

For the sake of this question, let's assume we sign Dwight in the coming future.
    This question arises from the fact that 2014 is supposed to be a goldmine of FAs.

So, after signing Dwight, we'd have a couple options:

1. Keep the team as is and compete

2. Make another/ a few more moves in order to get some smaller pieces or a star player to add to the roster.

If, for the most part, we keep the main pieces of our team intact I'm assuming we'd be able to make a play for some of the bigger names next year? Not sure the details on salary increases and such.

But, if we got someone like Josh Smith, would that effectively take us out of the sweepstakes for most of the bigger stars next summer? If so, do you think that plays a part in what that FO is thinking about how we build this team going forward? Thanks guys!

2. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Can we just get Dwight first before we start jumping into hypotheticals?

3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

If we can shed Asik and Lin, why not?

4. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I don't believe so with Lin and Asik getting the huge increase in their final years. It would have to come via trade and probably include them both for salary purpose plus 2-3 young players

5. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

J Sizzle related to J Smoove?

6. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

LaMarcus Aldridge is the only realistic option I like in that scenario that includes Kevin Love.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

[​IMG]

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

[​IMG]

9. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

Sorry friend :(

Just getting excited over all this news and figured I would throw in some random, fun discussion as to the future of the team. It was a question I have genuinely wondered, and I don't know enough about the workings of the salary cap to truly know the answer!

10. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

I believe their huge increase is just how much money they actually receive that year, but the cap hit remains the same.

11. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

Hmm thank you. I know a lot of people talk about Kyrie as well, but I believe his is a team option, so not sure how realistic that would be for any teams. Regardless, there's a big list of talented players available next year!

12. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I'd like some stability, though I prefer (if we sign Dwight) to move Asik + White for JSmith.

Lin/Harden/Parsons/JSmith/Howard...Bev/Canaan/vet wing/DMo/TJones/GSmith (maybe)/vet min

That is a solid group that can get to the WCF this upcoming season, and depending on how they progress together, be true contenders. I'd like to finally have a yr where we KEEP our team, esp. when it is good, rather than constantly moving big pieces EVERY yr and never allowing them to build chemistry. Have to have more stability to win, imo.

13. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Whoa... Slow down...slow down... My head is already spinning about THIS off season...

The Rockets can make a big move to Seattle :cool:

J/k :p

14. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

... :eek:

15. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

There are very few FA moves that are realistically available to us next summer. Most of the young stars we might want will NOT leave their team (ex: restricted FAs like Paul George; Kyrie is a team option, etc.). Old stars we do not really want because they are OLD (35+) and so attached to their teams that I doubt they leave anyways (ex: Dirk and Kobe).

Lebron is NOT coming to Houston. I doubt he leaves Miami, but if he does, it will not be for us. Let's be real here lol. DWade is ailing and will not come here either. Bosh is the only one of the 3 that might possibly use the ETO and leave Miami (or get traded), but do we really want to pay $20M+ for a player who sucked during the playoffs and is on the wrong side of 30? I sure don't...

KLove and LMA are on contract till 2015, the following yr. Now whether their teams choose to move them earlier than that as they have expressed no interest in going back to their current teams lol, is quite possible but hard to predict. That isn't necessarily summer action and not usually a cap room option. More about whether you having the assets or not.

16. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

You know, that's actually a really good point. All these years of having players coming in and being traded out... it would be nice to have a solid core that we can cheer on for years.

17. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

Thanks! Once again, good points. And yeah, LeBron coming here is not something I truly though was possible.

With all the rumors about LA, maybe it's possible we have a chance at getting him this summer as well??? Who knows, but you're right, LA and Love are the two big names that would fit well with us.

18. Htown's Finest

The rumor on the street is that Dwight Howard was not the only non Rocket in the meeting last night. Inside sources tell us that Josh Smith was in attendance too. So the main selling point for the Rockets is being able to surround D12 with an elite 2 guard like Harden and having his BFF in the front court along with him. D12/Beard/Smoove is something that no other team in the league can put together right now or anything close except Houston (no not even GS). I think all the reports we heard about Houston being "cocky" was for the reason of being able to assemble this trio. So no I don't think Houston will be major players in free agency for another 4 years except for signing a shooter or an older star player coming here to help out (see Miami).

19. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I'd buy you a beer and request you to ask Smith to give the Rockets a discount. ;)

20. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Holy **** balls batman!!! That would have been bad@$$ if J Smoove was there at the pitch last night. I didn't hear anything about that rumor. Where, when, and from whom did you hear this. Please share. :eek: