1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would the Rocket fan-base decrease if Yao was traded?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LakersPride, Dec 24, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Glacier

Glacier Member

Nothing is impossible in NBA. I would not be too surprised that Yao is traded in two years if Rockets kept losing and start to think about rebuilding. Trading Yao will definitely bring Rockets some good players. But I think TMac will be gone before Yao.

I had such a high expectation on Yao-TMac core. Just so disappointed that it didn't work out due to whatever the reasons (injury, refs, heart, etc.).

2. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Then your asnwer to the thread title is Yes, not stupid.

3. Raven

Raven Member

The fact that Yao would take his "only fans" with him is not something to be feared but celebrated. Half the people on my ignore list have the word Yao in their nickname.

Also, the amount of cash that Les makes off Yao is also overrated. Revenue from foreign television markets is evenly divided between all owners. Only profits from local ticket sales and local television flow directly to Les. Everything else is split evenly.

4. Tornadoofsoul6

Yao can get you basically any player in the NBA, not named Dwight Howard or Lebron James or Tim Duncan :rolleyes:

5. mbiker

mbiker Member

The Rockets are valued at $462 million and are ranked 5th in the NBA. Gate receipts generally make up 33% of a team’s revenue. Since the Rockets are ranked in the middle as far as attendance goes, one would assume that their media and sponsorship revenue is more than other teams. It would be interesting to see the revenue breakdown, but my guess is that the China contracts are huge.

6. hotsouthtree

hotsouthtree Member

At least I will not a rocket fan.

7. bronx43

bronx43 Member

Losing fans regardless of if they're "only fans" is something that any organization does not want. Also, you know nothing about Rockets' finances, so don't go around assuming that foreign television profits are the only source of revenue that Yao generates.

8. PlayDoh

PlayDoh Member

get off this board u stinking rookie with 30 posts

9. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

There are die-hard Rockets fans who were here way before people heard of the name Yao Ming; there are other fans who were NBA hoops fan in general, but became the Rockets fan because of Yao joining the team; then you have the so called fans who didn't know/watch much about NBA basketball until Yao join the league.

Yes, the Rockets will lose some fans, some of them in the 2nd category, and all of them in the 3rd, but the 'fans' in the 3rd category are never the fans of the 'ROCKETS', so you cannot consider the Rockets lose any of them.

10. PlayDoh

PlayDoh Member

Man i am Asian and i love Yao but i hate YOFs. I hate them because of their bad English but i hate them even more because they dont care if the team win or lose they only care about Yao's stat.

And to those people that think i am a TOF, NO I AM NOT, i like yao and tmac equally but if they cant take my team to the promise land then get the hell out of my town!

11. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

i will still be here even though i am a YOF. but i will laugh at you when the franchise go down hill :D just kidding. i probably won't be here much anymore if he is traded. i will probably move on to the team he goes too. i have to admit though, this website is very cool. i am Yi fan though, i live very close. so ya, Yao and Yi. :D

12. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

who said YOF don't care about if the team wins? and who said they all suck at english? a lot of them grew up in the states, like me :D i don't get why it's a problem if fans only like a team because of one player. the team welcome any fan for any reason, that's how they make money. i am sure rockets made tons of money ONLY because of Yao. so embrace it sucker.

13. Raven

Raven Member

If Yao is anywhere in the NBA, Les doesn't lose them. Foreign revenue is evenly split.

14. feihung316

feihung316 Member

fans are fans. these "diehard" rockets fans, "yofs", "tofs" or whatever stupid crap like that needs to get over themselves and just cheer the damn team.

and regarding the topic question.... the answer is no ****

15. alecoool

alecoool Member

remember you were there. :D

16. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

50% But some of us old timers would stay if they got another big man and made an effort to play traditional basketball. :p

#56 Yetti, Dec 24, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2007
  17. Pueblo

Pueblo Member

Unless you are from Houston or were born in Houston or Rockets were your first love, people became a Rocket fan because of a certain player. I used to follow Marcus Camby's games a lot when he was in NY (and hated JVG when he did not play Marcus before Ewing was hurt), because I was a graduate from UMass and a big fan of UMass basketball when John Calipari was the coach.

If Yao would leave (he won't), absolutely the rocket fan-base would decrease by a lot. No doubt about it.

18. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

How rude! :p

19. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

We would lose China, so yes it would decrease.

20. alecoool

alecoool Member

what makes u think you are any better than others?
    Asian? better english? live in Houston?
    Hatred is Only thing u have.