1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Paul Millsap be a good corner 3pt shooter in the Rockets system?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 2016Champions, Jun 24, 2013.

?

What would Millsap's corner 3 percentage be if he were to play for the Rockets next season?

1. 25-30%

23 vote(s)
    22.3%
  2. 30-35%

38 vote(s)
    36.9%
  3. Above 35%

16 vote(s)
    15.5%
  4. Below 25%

26 vote(s)
    25.2%
  1. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

[​IMG]

As you can see, Millsap made 37 out of 72 corner 2's (51%), and 6 out out 10 corner 3's. In the Rockets system, I think he would get alot more open looks than he did in Utah (especially if we land Dwight), and we will probably ask him to take more corner 3's.

Vote and discuss.

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yup, wouldn't mind rox signing him, j.smith or hickson.

3. jvu

jvu Member

I wouldn't mind signing him to a 1-2 year deal. So we can sign Aldridge or love web their contract expires

4. jocar

jocar Member

Not bad from the baselines. Still would rather have Smith. We need defense.

5. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is there a shot chart like that for Patterson? I always thought Patterson and Millsap had similar skill sets, but that may be a misconception on my part.

6. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

They are similar Milsap rebounds more

7. BabySeal

BabySeal Member

Why settle for mediocrity when we have a chance to put a great team together?

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Paul Millsap is not mediocre. He's vastly underrated.

9. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

We need a good mid-range, high post player with good defense. Is Millsap that player? If so, Im for Millsap.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone knows for sure. He only averages .05 made threes per game for his career on 27% from beyond the arc. Last season, his best three point shooting season of his career, he only made .17 threes per game on 33%.

So, who knows. But I doubt he would increase his attempts from .5 to 2+ (PPatt's rate when he was with the Rockets last year) while maintaining that 33%. And 33% ain't even that great.

11. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Great high-post, horrible defense.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Milsap is not a horrible defender, not sure what you have been watching.

Paul Milsap would be a great value pickup. If we strike out on the big boys, I would overpay Milsap in exchange for a shorter contract and leave ourselves in play for Aldridge/Love in two years.

13. BabySeal

BabySeal Member

I understand he is underrated, but when we have the room to sign someone better. Why would we settle for Millsap.

Regarding power forwards, wouldn't moving some pieces and signing LMA or Love be a better option?

I really don't think Millsap is a max player. I would only want to sign him if he is willing to take less.

14. Cranberry_Juice

What has this world come to? Years ago, we would have never dreamed of taking any player from Utah or Dallas. For shame, for shame..

15. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I would love to have Millsap but obviously Dwight is first priority and I don't want to jeopardize future cap space by signing Millsap (if we don't get Dwight).

In a perfect world, Lin would be traded to clear cap space, and after signing Dwight we get Millsap too on a Lin/Asik type contract. Then perhaps we get Brooks back at the minimum and/or bring Llull over to backup Beverly.

16. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

This. Millsap is not my #1 option when we have the salary room to sign a real impact player like Dwight. But as far as value goes (and underrated players), Millsap is up there. His defense is def. above average; almost as good as Smith's though not nearly as versatile (i.e., perimeter defense), which is sort of a downer. He's been adding that 3 pt shot just in the last couple of seasons, and it has come a ways -- he is the type of player that works hard and doesn't complain, so great pickup for us. I'm sure he'd develop the 3 pt shot more w/ us and be more than willing to fit into our system.

That being said, how much would he demand? For how many yrs? A 1-2 yr deal would be great, but would he agree? He's one of the many Plan B or C options we have if Dwight/CP3 fall through.

17. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

Signing Dwight doesn't mean we can't sign Millsap too, there are trade options.

18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'd rather let Dontas shoot 3 pointers instead.

19. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Because DMo's 29% from behind the arc is just so overwhelmingly amazing huh? :p

20. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

I like Donatas too, but I think he will be a late developer.