1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would NBA stars now be Stars in the 70's, 80's or 90's?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by T_Man, Feb 24, 2016.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

This talk of 80s and 90s players playing one on one all day made me laugh and reminded me of that response to that kobe video in which he talks about how much harder Kobe had it compared to MJ who played one on one all game long for his career...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bQ9dBEcI_hE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Caesar

Caesar Member

I agree the Kerr talk is ridiculous but at least Reggie was a franchise player unlike Ray Allen. Of course Reggies strength was coming off of screens where he was one of the best in history but he was also great at getting the defender in the air and going by him and got the line at a very good rate. They are 2 different players, but you can build a championship caliber team with Reggie as your best player just as you can with Curry. Both would need a very stacked team. Neither are guys who are going to carry scrubs or role players.

3. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

lol, yeah, clearly just the worst defense in the NBA which is why the Warriors were averaging 120 PPG. I know you're a True Believer that defenses in the 80s and 90s were amazing and more physical than NFL defenses, but that's a myth.

4. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

A couple of words

MODERN MEDICINE and TRAINING

5. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

this is a chart of "adjusted" free throw attempts per field goal attempts. all i did was turn every extra 3 taken now into a mid-range jumper in other years and said that there was 1 fta/10 fga on mid-range shots compared to 1 fta/20 fga on 3 point attempts. each 3 becoming a mid-range jumper is quite accurate looking at the shot data on basketball-reference going back to 2000-01. i couldn't actually find data for free throws per mid-range/3 but the numbers don't have a huge effect. as you can see, you have to go back to the 70's to find free throw rates as low as the previous 5 years. so there aren't a lot of cheap fouls called now.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/...-oscar-robertson-criticism-steph-curry-022516

7. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Players from the 90s: the 2010s suck. Players are soft.
    Players from the 70s: the 90s suck. Three point shooting is a gimmick
    Players from the 50s: the 70s suck. Dunking and between the leg dribbling is a circus
    Players from the 30s: the 50s suck. Stupid shot clock. Just steal the ball if you want it

1 person likes this.
  8. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I tend to agree with Kareem, especially since he played from the late 60's to the late 80's.

I love David Thorpe as a reporter, but how can you call a legend such as the Big O wrong about how the game was played when you never played one minute in the NBA.

It's like someone who never pledged a fraternity or was in the military trying to tell me that it's harder now then it was back in the past.

<script src="http://player.espn.com/player.js?playerBrandingId=4ef8000cbaf34c1687a7d9a26fe0e89e&adSetCode=91cDU6NuXTGKz3OdjOxFdAgJVtQcKJnI&pcode=1kNG061cgaoolOncv54OAO1ceO-I&width=576&height=324&externalId=espn:14856569&thruParam_espn-ui[autoPlay]=false&thruParam_espn-ui[playRelatedExternally]=true"></script>

T_Man

9. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

People do it all the time. Have you ever criticized a movie even though you never acted? Have you criticized a restaurant even though you were never a chef? Have you called the president dumb even though you were never the president? Have you ever said a certain musician sucked even though you were never a musician? Have you ever criticized Hardens defense or any player when they miss a layup even though you never played ball? Happens all the time

10. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

Also, my thinking Robertson's comments are dumb aren't really based on me thinking I know better than him about how basketball was played in the 1960s. It's based on thinking it's more than a little silly to claim that "coaches don't know how basketball is played these days" and that a simplistic tactic like "extend the defense a little" is a magic bullet that will stop Curry that hasn't been tried and no one else has thought of.

Would you want Robertson' coaching the Rockets? Do his comments fill you with confidence that he'd be a great coach? I mean, if he alone knows how to shut Curry down, that ought to be a pretty great credential.

11. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I won't put Reggie ahead of Allen at all. Reggie played with some really good defensive players during his time, Allen never did until he got to Miami. But Allen is a better shooter, and more complete player in my mind. Neither of them can carry a team, because they can be shut down with 1on1 defense.

Curry is at another level. He makes average player a star with the attention he got from the defense, all the way start from the half court. No one in the history of NBA has done that before.

12. T_Man

All great players don't make great coaches.....

Did you ever see the Big O play? I did... He was something special..

As far as stopping Curry goes, to me it all depends on what era you're playing him in. Big O was expressing IF Curry was playing back in his era on how they would stop him... In this era the rules are so totally different.. So the same tactics that were used back then can not be used today.

T_Man

13. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

So why are we taking him seriously on how easy it is to stop Curry and coaches being stupid? You're basically admitting here that you think Robertson, like most great players, would make an awful coach.

I think Robertson was something special as a player, too. Being a great player (I think he's got a legitimate case as one of the five best ever) doesn't mean you're good at analyzing the game, which is why many great players make terrible coaches and GMs.

Robertson was basically making a silly claim because he knows he can never be proven wrong. "Extending the defense out a bit" is nonsense. A lot of great players embarrass themselves by basically doing the sports equivalent of shouting "Get off my lawn!"...they say that the current game can't hold a candle to when they played, they played in an era of true greats, giants among men, etc, etc. The reason why they do it is obvious: it's self-serving. It makes them seem better if they can convince people that they played in a much stronger era.

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Stephen Curry: Criticism from retired players “starting to get a little annoying”

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/02/27...a-little-annoying/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

By Sean HighkinFeb 27, 2016, 2:00 PM EST

15. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

It's because they know Stephen. They ALL know.

Oh how I long to time travel and bring back prime Gary Payton and hand checking for Curry. The rules and era's are soo freaking different - todays game is all finesse, buddy buddy strokefest. I'll take the all out assault center era of tough guy basketball from the 80's and early 90's all day.

hey everyone, lets wax on about the good ole days when men were men.

16. Caesar

Caesar Member

1950s-1960's:
    Petit,Wilt, Russell, Oscar, West, Baylor era. When men were men. The American Dream.
    [​IMG]

1970's:
    Kareem, Dr J era. Seen as one of the weakest eras in NBA history. mar1juana. Hippies and man boys. Spoiled children of 50's and 60's Men's success. Disrespectful to the past. Lost War.
    [​IMG]

1980's:
    Magic, Bird era rebirth of the league. Showtime. Cocaine. OG's. Innovation.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1990's:
    MJ era. Dominant big men. Golden age, and not just NBA ratings. Real gangsters. Pimps in the white house. America's prime. Potential reached. Balance of Tech and Social life.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2000's:
    Shaq and Kobe era. Wannabes but respectful and in love with the past. Wannabe Jordans. Wannabe Gangsters. Boy bands. Waxed male bodies. Lost war, pretends they won.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2010's:
    LeBron and Curry era. Spoiled Athletes. Whiners and crybabies. Metrosexuals. Politically correct. Skinny jeans. Manliness defined by perfectly trimmed and groomed beards. Steve Urkel fashion. In love and trying to bring back everything from previous glory days, but denies it and disrespectful to the past. Unoriginal. Hipsters. Over reliant on Technology. Downfall of America.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Harden gets hacked all the time, Dwight too. Dwight would be really really good back then and Harden would be a lower level star. Defense used to reign supreme and frankly he doesn't play it all that often. However, his offense would have worked just fine.

Lebron would be a badass. KD would struggle a little, Curry would not be near the player he was because he's never had to fight through a screen while being grabbed, but still a great shooter. I'd guess Curry would be more of an assist guy than he is currently. Draymond Green would be a 6th man at best, not coveted by every team. Duncan would be considered a b**** for all his complaining and Aldridge would be a kingly fellow with his midrange game.

Cool concept to think about OP.

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Says the guy that was 2 in 1990. The game is not called the same way, so players now cannot play real defense any more. It's a fact and it's changed which cream has risen to the top.

19. T_Man

Oscar didn't call a press conference about Curry he was asked some questions and he answered... In general he was right on point with his answers...

If you listen to what he says.. it goes in MY DAY and also states how different the game is now..

The NBA started changing the rules around 1994 due to the Knicks and Pistons rough play. They changed them again in 1999 because they wanted more scoring in the game and they changed the defensive rules again around 2009 and 2010.

So when you here them say back in my day, they are referring to a time when you came down and knocked down a couple of jumpers and you showboated they would knock you on your ass... You do that today and you're suspended.

Another point he stated which is very true... You picked your man up as soon as the ball was passed in... Coaches would state if he goes to the bathroom to take a dump, you hand him the toilet paper.

The information you stated that I highlighted is completely inaccurate from the interview... Oscar is not promoting his own self, he's basically having a conversation and answering the questions... He actually stated that Curry is a favor he loves to watch...

The conversation starts at the 26:22 mark...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5irhACY4cMI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

T_Man

20. T_Man

Here's the oxymoron part of this whole thing...

The SAME MEDIA are the ones that are constantly asking these guys the same questions... Oscar, Kareem and any others are not holding press conferences to talk about their era and Steph Curry.

T_Man