1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would MMP ever have to be replaced?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Brando2101, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I was 100% for building MMP because of the huge list of improvements over the dome: Better sightlines, more open concourses, added club seating and suites, downtown location, classic nostalgic design, retractable roof etc.

Those were all things that were needed. I don't think there will be any more advancements in baseball facilities that would require a new stadium as oppose to upgrades or a better location for the park. The Rangers badly needed a retractable roof for summer games and they can reduce capacity by a lot and bring fans closer to the action but they don't seem to be building anything that MMP doesn't have aside from the fact that it's a part of an entertainment district which Houston will never have. Their stadium ended up having a shelf life of just under 30 years but I see MMP going far beyond that.

I get that you never know what new developments could come but the leap from multi sport cookie cutter stadiums to baseball only classics by Baltimore was so massive and groundbreaking. It's hard to see a need for a different skeleton. It would be good to see them extend the lease 7-10 years before it expires in 2030.

What do you think MMP needs? More technology integration with cell phones?

I was one of the few people to get lucky and buy tickets to the 1st ever game against the Yankees in 2000 because they released a 2nd wave of tickets once they realized they would have all of the seats installed in time. They were in that nook on the upper deck of left field. I still remember walking through Union Station and seeing everything in person for the 1st time. I had tracked construction, photo updates and the webcam for years. I remember when they tested the roof for the 1st time and how slow it was.

I really think it's the perfect ballpark in every way. I was sad to see Center Field go away and make the park less unique but it's whatever. At least they took down those awful ads on the left field lights. Did anyone play MVP Baseball 05? It was the last one in the series. You could play in the polo grounds where center field goes on forever and then outfield warning track was a hill all the way around the OF.

I used to post in this forum a lot. I don't know why but I have not been able to connect with this team basically since Crane bought the team. Leaving behind the cubs, cards and pirates for the AL along with a completely new team and "new" jerseys made this feel like the Astros left town and a new team took it's place. I get that these uniforms go back to a previous era but not all of us are old as **** ; ) I really got into the team when I was 13 which I think is fair. I went to a ton of games and watched all the others on TV. My "classic" uniforms were brick and sandstone. The blue 96-99 jerseys felt bland and unmotivated but the brick and sand were deeply connected to the new ballpark along with the devicive pin stripes. I could have done without Junction Jack though but the kids liked him. The logo felt bold and classic at the same time. The team was also relatively good. Playoffs 3 times in that decade with a lot of close 2nd place finishes. They weren't births but they kept you interested in the end. Lots of variety in personalities between Biggio, Bagwell, Berkman, Oswalt, Kent, Pettite, Clemens, Wagner, Dotel, Lidge, Ausmus and the inspiring and underrated movie play of Adam Everette. The orange uniforms are a call back to when the Astros were relatively bad over a long period of time. I know 86 was good but I don't think it compares. The Jeff Kent homerun against the Cards was the greatest moment in all of Astros history even though they lost the series. Backe pitches a hell of a game with a diving save by (can't remember who). Bottom of the 9th and the cards walk (IIRC Berkman to pitch to Kent and he's facing a solid Jason Isringhausen. Then you just hear the sound from the impact of the bat and ball and know that the game was won and we had the cards by the throat. Didn't turn out great in the series but that's how it goes. Some might point to the Backe homerun in 05 but I just don't think it compares. Walk off to win a series is epic but you have a average player hitting a home run against an average reliever 18 innings into a game. It was certainly one of the greatest comebacks in Astros playoff history. Grand Slam by Berkman and a home run by Ausmus that barley made it over the line. That was also the year of the tombstone and the 25 out of 35 IIRC run to finish the season. There was a similar but less dramatic comeback the year later. Sigh... I just mean that I was so dialed into that era that the massive amount of changes just disconnected me from this franchise. I don't think that makes me fair weather since I stayed with the team for the 4-5 years that followed but you could certainly say something about me for leaving the team after they became the worst team in baseball for a 3 year period and still now that they have improved.

What am I missing from this team now? What don't I get? What is fun and interesting from them beside just being young? A part of it is that I'm rarely in Houston anymore so it's harder to go to games but I could if I put in enough effort.

Sorry this became soooo off topic and if I come off as a lame fan.

Hustle Town likes this.
  2. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

I saw an article somewhere about newer designs of football stadiums possibly being built into a larger complex, such as a park or an outdoor recreational area. Maybe the baseball stadiums could be similar. In this scenario I read about, there would be a more seamless transition between outside the stadium and inside, with grassy hills and trees and benches and picnic tables. Less concrete. Make it more family friendly and casual in how the spectator seating works, etc.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  3. NateNate

NateNate Member

Every time I see the roof closed it drives my crazy that they haven't cleaned it. It used to be bright white now it's almost brown. Just makes it look older than what it is.

4. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MMP is a stud. Rangers trying to copy that model with a new ballpark. Ours is gonna be around for awhile and the new improvements will make it even better. If I could make one improvement...

I would paint the roof Orange

MadMax likes this.
  5. awc713

awc713 Member

That would be really cool. In line with Minute Maid, too.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

MMP should age well.

In the future, I'd look for them to add seating on top of the train tracks (or just have seats on the train itself). The Union Station building has sort of reached a plateau of what it can add to the experience... they may be able to expand upon that (either a bigger fan-friendly gift-shop, more interactive high-tech media areas, an Astros hall of fame?).

Its by far the best sports stadium/arena in Houston... and it was built before all of them.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

MMP is one of the classic stadiums in baseball. It has a look and feel that I think will age very well, especially if the team continues to improve and people start filling it up again. Other than just keeping up with the times in terms of technology and facade, I don't see them needing to do much.

As far as what you're missing from the team, I would say the general fact that they are genuinely FUN to watch is a big one. Guys like Springer, Altuve, Correa, McCullers, even Gattis with his lumberjack look.....there's a character to the team that's very unique and you can see that they really enjoy coming to the ballpark everyday. The fan experience is still one of the better ones in the league, and the players do their part by playing the game with enthusiasm. As far as the old rivalries go, yeah it sucks we don't get to face the Cubs and Cardinals every year, but you have to move on from that. There's a very serious hatred towards the Rangers that's growing, and getting to face the Yankees and Red Sox multiple times every year is pretty cool. I would give the team a very hard look this year.....I have a feeling they'll win you over in no time.

MadMax likes this.
  8. Brando2101

That's a great point. I think the Texans have tried to create that atmosphere outside the best they can with the food trailers and entertainment booths. I wonder what they would have done differently if the Astrodome wasn't there and if they didn't need to leave parking open for Astro World. NRG is sandwiched between the dome and Kirby.

9. newAge_Rockets

I grew up watching Biggio, Bagwell, Everett, Ausmus, etc. just like you...and I can honestly say the team we have now is more fun to watch. I can't really explain it but guys like George, Tuves, Lance, Correa and Bregs just absolutely have this baseball euphoria aura about them. They make magic on the field, dance in the dugout and party in the clubhouse. It's also so much fun to see how these players develop because they're so young. It was a process acquiring these guys, and now it's the process of having them develop into all stars. Just watch them a little bit and you'll be hooked.

As far as MMP goes I love it! I really began to appreciate it after having to sit in 95 degree weather in DC for a ballgame. MMP is comfy, quality, provides excellent views, and imo has a great neo-classical look. I don't wanna play anywhere else for at least the next 30ish years.

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I think the stadium and uniforms can be kept around for a long long time. They did fantastic work there. I don't know about the center field addition, it has the potential to really **** up MMP, but we shall see.

11. Brando2101

I'll pick up the online subscription next year then.

Yea it looks great. It's unbelievable how the Orioles opened Camden Yards. MMP took that aesthetic and styled it enough to make it look unique. I feel like a lot of other parks look a lot alike like in Philly and St Louis.

This website is amazing if you find stadiums interesting: http://www.ballparks.com

Oh I don't think it'll **** it up. It'll just be a random thing that you'll rarely be consciously aware of. Although, that green grass wall might look a bit out of place.

[​IMG]

12. Nook

Nook Member

MMP should be around for a very long time. When it was built there was a belief that it would be inferior to other parks being built in that time frame. However, MMP has really aged well and it is starting to be appreciated. I have had the opportunity to catch games at all but 2-3 parks and MMP in one of the 3-4 best in baseball. Wrigley is the best, mostly because the neighborhood around it has grown around Wrigley and not the other way around. That is unique in American sports.

Outside of Wrigley, Pac Bell is probably the best... with MMP, Kaufman and Camden and Dodgers Stadium coming to mind.

Fenway is unique and worth seeing, but it is a dump.

wouldabeen23 likes this.
  13. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

The unfortunate fact that the Astrodome is still around will tell you MMP/Union Station is be around for a very very loon time. Union Station holds a far greater importance to the city of Houston history

14. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

I've been going to the ballpark in Arlington since it was fairy new around about 96-97, freshman year at UNT. There is no "entertainment district " around Globe Life, or whatever those primary color wearing twats call it now. It and the death star, aka jerry-worl, are in basic-ass Arlington with awful parking and traffic and nothing but shitty chain restaurants, a dallas speciality, and parking lots. The whole area is generic, metroplex BLAH! MMP is miles ahead in local, atmosphere and design than anything the Arlington Rsngers and their ****-sipper, band wagon ass fans can comprehend.

Stardog75 likes this.
  15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Ever is a long time. When the value of luxury suites became apparent, it almost immediately rendered many stadiums economically obsolete to owners. There may be some new advance in revenue stream years off we don't even know about, and MMP won't be built for it.

Then there's capacity. Houston is isn't getting smaller, maybe some event cause a spike in baseball popularity, and 40,000 seats in a 40 year old facility simply isn't satisfactory for a city with 10 million people in 2040.

Having said that, MMP is a great, great ballpark. The roof means it's always comfortable, while at the same time the glass does a great job of making the park feel open and not that airport hangar feel of other parks. Fans in Houston could watch baseball there for the next century and be happy. When it's replaced, it will be financial, not because it's a poor place to watch a game.

Nook likes this.
  16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I didn't mean aesthetically. It'll probably look fine, though I did like the hill and it's uniqueness. The changes could drastically alter the way MMP plays and its previous position as neutral was part of what made it great.

17. msn

msn Member

Me, too. Good times.

wouldabeen23 likes this.
  18. awc713

awc713 Member

MMP had one of the classiest looks when the left field facade wasn't plastered with ads. Really miss it:

[​IMG]

mtbrays and wouldabeen23 like this.
  19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The greenish paint covering the steel beams outside of the stadium is fading, I think.

I remember it looking more fresh a few years ago.

20. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Have to honor our "Community Leaders."

awc713 likes this.