1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Michael Jordan have been loved as universally today?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by GraingerGuy, May 19, 2012.

?

Would Michael Jordan have been loved as universally today?

1. Yes

55 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. No

66 vote(s)
    54.5%
  1. SacTown

SacTown Member

He wasn't really loved all that much. There were haters. You just didn't hear so much from the haters because we didn't have the Internet. All the good players have tons of haters.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

people are still beating others up for his shoe NOW.
    MJ's combination of success and marketing would not be topped. The current generation NBA superstars marketing is based off MJ's blue print.

Nobody would care if he gambles or gets infidelity, cause people now are so desensitized by it.
    [​IMG]

3. tinman

Supporting Member

He was really good at hiding it, unlike that Tiger Woods dude.

Also I believe Nike had a hand in his "love".

4. SacTown

SacTown Member

And people like tinman still say they would rather have Hakeem than Jordan.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I would have. I know what we had with Hakeem.

I don't know what we would have had with Jordan.

6. SacTown

SacTown Member

You do now. And you're still saying you'd rather have hakeem?

7. tinman

Supporting Member

Nobody takes you seriously as a basketball fan or a poster dude.
    Troll town.

1 person likes this.
  8. SacTown

SacTown Member

Nobody takes anyone seriously who would start a team with anyone other than Michael Jordan if given the choice.

9. juicystream

How would I know? Do you think I had a time machine to go back to 1984, and see how things would have been different?

I know MJ won 6 titles, but in Chicago. In Houston, we may have won more, less, the same, or maybe he signs with the Portland Trailblazers to play alongside Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler after years of frustration of losing in Houston.

I do know we won 2 titles, made another finals appearance, and have a great person.

10. Shaud

Shaud Member

You can't be serious with that first sentence. Sure he probably had a lot of haters because usually when you're that good at something people will hate you but the man was loved a whole lot. People still go crazy over his shoes and he retired a long time ago.

Out of any basketball player still playing Michael Jordan still has the most popular shoe. People literally camping out at midnight to get his shoe. So yes he was loved then and he still would be loved right now.

11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

If MJ were playing today, let's just say that the microscope over him would be about 100000x bigger than the one we put LeBron under.

12. tinman

Supporting Member

You know there's a several huge threads in the Garm about this topic. It's not new.

13. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I always preferred Magic to M.J. so I am not really a Jordan jocker. Absolutely Jordan was fun to watch, even though I was mostly rooting for teams playing against him after the first couple championships (I root for Houston teams then underdogs and great stories once Houston is eliminated).

Probably Jordan was the best player I have ever seen personally. He would be the #1 star today maybe by an even wider margin...but yes, more of the attention would be negative. Michael wouldn't care though....he would win playoff games and cash checks.

14. juicystream

I'm certainly aware that it has been discussed plenty of times, though I try to avoid GARM.

Doesn't mean I'm not going to respond to him.

Sort of like the Gay/Battier trade and non-Rockets fans and the your titles don't count, they drive me crazy.

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

He'd be hyped about in middle school, go to NC for his freshman year, be a complete ******* but dominate like crazy.

16. tinman

Supporting Member

TrollTown,
    If we're playing this time machine game, I'd go back in time and arrest the dude selling dope to Wiggins/Lloyd and then I'd make Sampson eat crappy food so he'll be too sick to play in that game in Boston.

Sorry, too much Rockets knowledge for you to get. But Twin Towers had no problems whatsoever with that "chicago" team.

but keep trolling, you are pretty good at it.

17. onreego

onreego Member

Hakeem was the one man Jordan feared. Jordan would probably pick Hakeem over himself too.

I will agree with your earlier statement that he was not as loved as many think. I, for one, did not truly appreciate his game until after he retired the first time.