1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Lin be best as a 6th man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, Apr 3, 2013.

?

Should Lin be our new 6th man?

1. Yes, it would take a lot I pressure off of him.

91 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. No, he should remain our starting PG

344 vote(s)
    79.1%
  1. bball_lifer

bball_lifer Member

Maybe so, point is, I probably enjoy watching Lin and thing he is a very unique player. The LOFs, Asian or not, who claim he is misunderstood ruin a good conversation.

2. torocan

torocan Member

Read the Knicks boards and game threads. JR Smith and Melo get FAR from a free pass for all the ISO's they do.

Smith is often lambasted for his ISO's and shot selections, and there is no shortage of Knicks' fans who lambaste Melo for his ISO ball.

Even though Melo can score 40 and 50 points in a game, a significant portion of the fan base wants to see him ISO less and pass out of double teams and hard coverage more often.

Team ball if you have decent team mates is nearly always better than ISO ball in my opinion. It's much harder to defend against a team with multiple threats than one player.

It's also easier for Harden if the other team isn't sure whether he'll make an ISO play or pass the ball to another player to score or create a play.

I don't think anyone believe Harden should never ISO, however don't be surprised if there are those that believe that Harden is calling for ISO's too much some games and as a consequence bogging down the defense, especially when he isn't shooting well.

1 person likes this.
  3. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

To be fair, if we look at the Spurs and their history of success, it all comes from set plays, and not ISOs. I believe they said in an interview once that no matter how late in the game, set plays still gives a higher % of winning than ISOs. I don't have time to dig up the interview. Maybe some else can do it.

To me ISO is another meta-game on it's own. When the pace of the game isn't going the team's way, we can use ISOs to break the pace to regain momentum because ISOs doesn't rely on team chemistry and pace. Like when Rockets were getting hammered by the Spurs, and nothing is going Rockets ways, then T-Mac pulls off a few ISOs and completely snapped the momentum which created the legendary 13 in 33. Excessive use of it isn't a long term solution.

Right now the way I see it is Harden is ISO-ing at the wrong time. He needs to be able to read and react more properly because sometimes he ISOs when the team is hot which literally breaks our own teams momentum.

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

80% or whatever disagree... but I've been sayin Lin should be our 6th man for months... Let him get around 30 mins a game, but make him the focal point while Harden sits while parking our best shooter at the 3 pt line so Harden has room to operate while Lin sits... seems perfectly logical to me...

5. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Pop is a master mind and a HOF to be Coach. McHale is just scratching the surface..Also it took the Spurs some years to get were they are at today. They have a solid foundation and core...The Rockets on the other hand is rebuilding, very young and inexperienced on pretty much all levels. Really cant compare the two franchises at this point and time.
    However, the Rockets indeed needs to try and follow an successful franchise, such as the Spurs. This is there 1st complete season, in which the only have 3 plays that they run. They are Pick n roll, read and react and ISO. We have a long way to go pimpn

6. bball_lifer

bball_lifer Member

+1, a good summary of the argument.

7. Postcall

Postcall Member

Why not just stagger their minutes again? It was working well in the past and we just went away from it when the coaches were benching Lin in favor of Beverly for defensive purposes. Also they would be better if we went back to using the 1-2 pnr again. Not sure what happened to that?

1 person likes this.
  8. nickg

nickg Member

Except that would leave put our starting line up in the same situation as it was with tmac, minus Yao ( or any post presence at all ). Not gonna get you anywhere. Much rather have Lin and harden running the show and everyone else playing off of them.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm disturbed that it's not a public poll, OP. If it were public, you would see a remarkable number of members considered by a certain group to "hate" Jeremy Lin voting that he remain the starting point. In my opinion, of course.

10. nickg

nickg Member

I'm confused by that as well. The 1-2 pnr was extremely effective for them yet it is only rarely seen.

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

You seem like the kinda person who wouldnt care either way if BYU fans were calmouring for more PT for Jimmer, or David Hasselhofenbrau wanted all the best for Dirk. Contrary to what you make think however, I knew alot of asians at school who didnt like yao at all. was all KOBE/TMAC/IVERSON. There are alot of rationale people out there. At the start of the season, alot of asians were on Lin's case, saying where was the aggressiveness, sold out, but im sure you're point that all asians think hes a god is more than justified. You can root for any player for whatever reason, just dont let it seriously warp the way you view X player, try to be objective about it. The minute you make generalisations like that though you screwed up.

Way to backtrack as well.

1 person likes this.
  12. Jedster

Jedster Member

Well, I take it you mean that you would be okay with a good honest debate with any race. That's cool with me.
    Just please don't include an entire group of people in sweeping generalizations. Imagine if you said that Obama's problem is that he's black. And that black people just vote Obama because he's black and they think he's a god, and you can't reasonably debate any politics with black people about Obama because they'll get hurt feelings. If that sounds awkwardly wrong to you, then the Lin comment isn't nice as well.

1 person likes this.
  13. JustaFan

JustaFan Member

Well said!!

14. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Staggering is fine, the intent really... key is yer runnin Linsanity for the 10 mins or whatever Harden sits. Leaves you with like 20 mins of 1-2 pnr opportunities. But not starting Lin gets the other teams defense used to a certain rhythm- and then you switch it up by throwing a fresh Lin at 'em after half a quarter or something... Look how productive Mike James was during his first stint with the Rox when he basically ran the second unit...

15. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

16. Richard Djunk

Richard Djunk Member

Actually, the Spurs instantly took off in Pop's first full season as coach in the 97-98 season when they drafted Duncan. They went 56-26 and lost in the second round of the playoffs. They've been rolling in Pop's entire tenure as head coach. And it's not just that Pop started off with HOFers Robinson and Duncan, the Spurs have proven they scout, draft, and develop talent better than anyone.

17. Ultimateian

Ultimateian Member

LOF's are just mad because Melo just stepping on the court was enough to end Linsanity by itself. As a PG Lin should be able to coincide with anyone LET alone a superstar.

18. gate470

gate470 Rookie

Correct Torocan. People should do a little more research before they spew nonsense. It makes them look ridiculous.

19. gate470

gate470 Rookie

Would rep you if I could. Too bad your comment will get ignored.

20. Tommyboys

Tommyboys Member

ahahah chill any coach will pick lin over p bev as their starting pg