1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would it take any of the savor out of winning more titles if the Rockets went all SuperFriends?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Major Malcontent, Jun 10, 2013.

?

Would you enjoy a Rockets title less if they had to sign on 3 superstars to do it?

1. Yes, I would enjoy it slightly less.

121 vote(s)
    27.9%
  2. No, it's just reality in the NBA.

312 vote(s)
    72.1%
  1. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

If the Rockets say acquired both CP3 and Howard in addition to Harden, I think my enthusiasm would be a little diminished. Oh sure I would watch every game riveted, but I pretty much do that now.

I could handle Olajuwon + Drexler plus Barkley cause I thought of the first two as "home grown" guys.

I am not saying the Rockets shouldn't sign both if given the opportunity. I am just saying as a fan my interest would be slightly diminished if we took the SuperFriends approach.

One star thread I know...but anyone else feel the same?

2. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

I don't think it would take anything out of winning, but losing would suck a lot more since there would be actual legitimate expectations on the team.

3. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

haha No, I would be obnoxious

4. sydmill

sydmill Member

Yeah. The first two were special in large part due to the fact the team was put together over time, had their ups and downs (damned sonics illegal d...). It would feel Yankees-esque to get both guys by way of fa. Id still celebrate like a motherf***er but it wouldnt come close. to 93. Just my thoughts.

5. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

My power ranking of feelings for championships from best feeling to worst feeling

1) Players that started with the team and stayed with the team as you watch them grow and achieve a championship.

2) Players that were traded here but stuck out with the team for a long period of time and you watch them achieve championship

3) Players who are not that good so they got traded here to tank but achieved championships through effort and sacrifices as underdogs.

4) Players that are actually good but overlooked and got traded here for whatever reason and achieved championships as darkhorses.

5) Players that are good and came together via trades and works hard to achieve championship

6) Players that are the very best and just come together for a year or 2 to try to dominate the league with just sheer talent.

7) Stern

3 people like this.
  6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Even if Paul and Howard both joined us, it would never be "superfriends" like Miami "superfriends" in that Paul, Howard and Harden never contrived the idea ahead of time.

I never thought of Howard, Bryant and Pau as "superfriends" for the same reason, or any other team with a big 3.

1 person likes this.
  7. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

wtf hell no... this is the NBA there is no farming system, I would love to have the 5 best players in the league playing on this this.

8. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Id rather do it this way than endure really ****ty seasons of high lottery pick basketball in the hopes of landing a star

9. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

It probably would not be as fulfilling as drafting a hometown hero like Dream and slowly building a champion, but there would nonetheless not be any asterisk in the record book.

10. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

This for sure.

Also I don't really see the big deal. Stars win championships, if we get our stars we can win.

There aren't many Dreams out there that can win a title alone with just a bunch of role players around him, so if we don't get them like this how exactly can we?

FA is where you get superstars in this league now, not through trades (people don't trade superstars unless they absolutely have to, or don't know how good they are (ala Harden).

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

People saying it wouldn't feel the same aren't going to be saying that if/when there's a championship parade rolling through the streets of downtown Houston. Once the games start being played, it's all about winning, and rooting for the name on the front of the jersey....not the back. A championship in the city of the Houston would mean the world to me, regardless of why or how it happened.

12. PhiSlammaJamma

I think I would like to see them struggle first. Winning outright in the first year. A little tainted in my opinion to just win it the same year. Feels bought. It's a journey. And that's where the memories come from. I want them to earn it. I think Miami did that. And even now, they are being forced to overcome obstacles and adjust, so I'm ok with each title, and I do not think it was just handed to them. They had to make adjustments and grow personally, and as a team, each year.

On a related note, would you be ok to see your team win a title without your long time superstar to carry them there, or would you feel bad for that guy, and prefer they win it together at some future date. I would struggle with that too. If say the 93 Rockets had gone on to win without Olajuwon, I would almost prefer the ship sink until he returned.

13. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

[​IMG]

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the league's officiating is fixed towards giving superstars preference in crunchtime....helps sell merchandise and garner tv ratings. so whether we/morey likes going the superfriends route, we really have no other choice..

15. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

I didn't have a problem when Boston did it, because I felt like Ray Allen and KG worked extremely hard other places and never got anywhere because of sorry teammates, and to be honest I think the same can be said for CP3 and D12. Besides Dwight's last nightmare season with LA neither of them have played year in and year out with another CONSISTENT All-Star, short of maybe David West and Blake Griffin.

So if they came here I would feel like they both just wanted to win (somewhat of a homer response, but I still think it's objectively true)

16. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Today's NBA is just different. Not better, not worse, just very very different. I like the poll though.

17. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

In order to get the building block for the '94 & '95 championships, we had to tank and tank big. Now, we've completely rebuilt our team in 1 year WITHOUT TANKING. That's something to be proud of. So no, it wouldn't take anything out of winning a title. To me, at least.

18. MghtyPtrck

MghtyPtrck Member

it would not bother me a single bit! I actually would embrace the fact that it's HOUSTON and NOT New York, LA, Chicago or Boston that gets all the glory.

This would put Houston in the spotlight! Something this city deserves and gets overlooked on constantly even though there have been a rash of articles pointing out how great this city is.

This city, this team, deserves the star power! Morey has built this team w/o having to tank it. I want this city and this team to be a POWERHOUSE in the NBA!

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Ok this is news to me.

The Rockets tanked to get Hakeem but that was in the mid 80s and a different team altogether that went to the Finals in 86.

The 93-94 and 94-95 team was not built by tanking.

Heck the late 80s and the early 90s Rockets team did not have to tank. Other than Hakeem they had ball boys playing for them.

Then Kenny Smith and Otis Thorpe were added. Elie joined the Rockets from the Blazers for pennies. Horry was not even a top 3 pick. Cassell was a late first round pick. And finally Drexler was acquired via a mid-season trade.

Am I missing something?

20. da_juice

da_juice Member

It be nice to see a team of Lowry, Dragic, Hayes, Scola, Parsons, and Battier scrapping for a championship.

But that ain't happening, so we'll have to settle for a superteam.