1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Garnett be a feasible FA target.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Apr 10, 2012.

Tags:
  1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I've been thinking about this for a few days and jopatmc's post starting me thinking about it more. Lets assume we release Dalembert and amnesty/trade Martin. We could theoretically offer Garnett 10+ million and still keep/resign all our core guys. Garnett also has the McHale connection and Ainge owes McHale a bit.

Camby/Garnett/Dmo
    Garnett/Scola/Patterson
    Parsons/Morris/Bud
    Dragic/Lee
    Lowry/Dragic

This lineup would be pretty tough from a defensive standpoint and we wouldn't have any problems scoring points either. What do you guys think?

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That would be my backup plan if we can't get Howard.

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Question is, would he sign with us? No ring in sight and he only has few years left in his career. Don't see him doing that.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

10 million+ ?? For Garnett? That seems way too much IMO. He's got no reason to keep playing other than to win a ring. He should be prepared to get a whole lot less.

I'd go for this:

Dragic
    Lee
    Parsons
    Gasol/Dmo
    KG/Camby

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Sure. Right after we get Garnett, let's get Vujacic and Matt Barnes over here. Finally, let's talk Bruce Bowen and Karl Malone out of retirement. We'll have the trash talking elbow throwing team of the decade.

6. rockbox

If we make it out of the first round, and look respectable in the second round, I think we could convince him that he is the missing piece of a championship team since we would lose anyone that is playing significant minutes right now. Plus we could offer more money than any other team.

He's still a 15 and 9 guy that plays great defense. Camby is getting paid 9 million this year.

7. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Garnett will work for MLE or less for the rest of his career, meaning he can join any team he wants to, meaning it won't be us.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

? Other than the one he got in 2008?

9. rockbox

No one is going to turn down an extra 5-6 million a year playing for your father figure.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I'm not sure Camby gets that much now as a FA. Portland gave him that extension 2 years ago, mainly because they needed insurance for Oden.

I think it's more about KG knowing he's got to sacrifice money to help a team build a contender, than his actual worth. Use that as leverage to work the price down, but IMO he should be ready to accept a lot less.

11. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

10 plus mil. on a one year contract isn't bad if we can't land the big fish. I like KG and think he would be great here for younger guys as well as bringing it on the court. KG is probably going to chase a ring, but nobody will offer him more than 5 mil or more than 2 years.

12. Prince

Prince Member

Stay classy Rockets.

13. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

1.) D-Mo is not a center

2.) Garnett, Scola, Patterson & D-Mo would be quite the logjam at PF. Depth is nice, but having this kind of logjam not only won't help you develop your players, but they'll start losing value (see T-Will).

3.) This team has enough above average to good players. We need to trade (quality) quantity for high quality.
    If this opens up a spot for KG or any other decent PF on the market, then he's obviously one of the guys you'd look at. If not, we're better off looking elsewhere.

14. Pete the Cheat

Garnett has been playing Center effectively this year. If you sign him, it will be at the 5.
    BUT, if plan A is to re-sign Dragic, Lee and Camby this offseason, Garnett effectively becomes unsignable.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

If it helps the team, fine... but i'd have a hard time rooting for that d-bag.

16. rockbox

Not true. According to Bima's cap article we are at the cap with the cap hold for Dragic and Lee, and Camby signing for what Dalembert is making while waiving Dalembert. Now if we amnesty Kmart, we would have 13 million to play with.

So here is how it would go down. Make an agreement with Garnett, dump Dalembert, resign Camby, amnesty Kmart, sign Garnett, and then go over the cap to resign Dragic and Lee.

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I dont want that p***y on my team

18. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Defense would improve with that lineup for sure and as long as Garnett cheap shots Blake Griffin im good-to-go.

19. thejav

thejav Member

Yeah maybe 10 years ago..to old. Do not want..

20. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Breaking News: We cant get Howard!