1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worst Trade this Year...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KHimmatramka, Jun 13, 2005.

1. KHimmatramka

KHimmatramka Member

Worst trade this year... Jim Jackson and Boki Nachbar for David Wesley. Jackson and Wesley are pretty even but I would still take Jackson any day. Then to give Nachbar away (one of our first round pics in 2002) was horrible. Rumor says that Nachbar and JVG got in an arguement and that JVG really started to hate Nachbar. If thats the reason for that trade that JVG should never be GM.

Do you all remember the dunk on Karl Malone and then the stuff. :)

2. max14

max14 Member

(in before the lock)
    And the worst thread this year goes to....

3. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

lol. what the heck made you think of that now? I'm over the lovefest for Nachbar now... I think that if management really liked him and thought he could do something, we could sign him vie free agency for them minimum, BUT we need roster spots and we can easily find better players to fill the necessary roles. I do like him though, and wished he did better.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

1- The trade was made mainly to move Tracy to SF and get a decent defensive SG in return (who also happened to be a alright shooter).

2- Boki isn't that good. He's not going to be on any winning teams 7 or 8 man rotation. Everybody loved him for what he did in the playoffs last year, including me, but the fact is he still isn't that good of a player. Ryan Bowen can do what he did in the playoffs last year.

3- I don't know where that rumor came from, but I'm not buying it unless there is some evidence. And finally, Van Gundy is not the GM.

5. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

If you watch the Rockets or any JVG coached team you would know that he is a DEFENCE first coach.. JIM JACKSON COULD HARDLY MOVE, David is a much better on/off the ball defender.. Boki wasnt going to get any playing time under JVG.. JVG gave Boki time and Boki couldnt do much with it here.. I didnt like the trade at first, but when I STARTED TO WATCH the -D- David had Vs the slow ass old man JJ it was a no brainer..

6. Tdogg

Tdogg Member

Now we need someone to start a thread about how the Rockets should have kept Jason Collier, because we all know how GREAT he is doing with those competative Hawks.

I totally agree with DieHard Rocket, Boki isn't that great of a player.

Boki will and can play "ok" when on a bad team, but I can't see him being anything beyond an average to below average bench role player.

7. Believe

Believe Contributing Member

Question is do you remember the DUNK that G Wallace had on Boki? :eek:

That one I will never forget!!! I actually felt bad for the guy. That has to go down as one of the top 3 dunks I have ever seen.

8. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

OK DaDakota, the jig is up. ;)

9. KHimmatramka

KHimmatramka Member

You all make good points but I feel the rockets still did not get enough in return.. wesley is a great player and when guarding someone who is his frame, he is a great defender too but they could have found something better.

"This team is definitely stunned," forward Maurice Taylor said. "He's the most consistent player we had. Jimmy is like a rock. He did whatever was necessary."

Here is a webpage from CLUTCHFANS.net that you all can read about the deal.
    http://www.clutchfans.net/news.cfm?NewsID=1176

FROM CLUTCHFANS.NET

"Wesley is a nice player, averaging just under 14 points and just over 4 assists a game, but for Jackson and Boki? Jackson is no slouch (13.3 points, 3.6 assists), is currently shooting higher percentages from the field and long range than Wesley, is bigger than him and plays better defense.

As for Nachbar, who has hit 10 of his 21 three-point attempts this season, the Rockets have been shopping him vigorously for weeks. Why? On December 4th, the Rockets placed Boki on the Injured List, which went over very poorly with the third-year guard/forward who is in a contract season. He clashed hard with Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy about it, handed out ultimatums and the team opted to deal him.

The next night, Van Gundy proceeded to dump heavy praise on Ryan Bowen for "not complaining" like some do for having to go on the Injured List. This wasn't so much a compliment of Bowen as it was an attempted shot at Nachbar.

"This was about dealing Boki," a source close to the team told ClutchFans. "I can't say for sure, but Jackson may have just been a victim of Van Gundy wanting Boki off the roster that badly. I can't see them viewing Wesley as too much of an upgrade over Jackson, if any, but Van Gundy clearly wanted Nachbar out of here." "

As you all know, the HORNETS traded Jackson for Casey Jacobsen, Maciej Lampe and Rookie Jackson Vroman. Jim Jackson was picked 4th overall and Boki Nachbar 15th. Wesley went undrafted.

There you all go. Again.. Wesley is a great player but over JJ and Nachbar.... I know I am not part of the Rockets organization but this deal still confuses me

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I don't get it. We were losing before that trade and then we started winning after it. What's not to like?

11. KHimmatramka

KHimmatramka Member

I'm not arguing with anyone. I just think the Rockets could have no doubt gotten more.

12. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I guess it will depend on what Wesley turns into; from reports it is likely that he won't be back.

13. Tdogg

Tdogg Member

If i am not mistaken, but after the trade happened wasn't their talk (or just speculation?) that JJ was a lockroom cancer and that might have been why he was included in the trade (and incidentally in many of his other career-long trades), because JVG was looking to improve team chemistry. Which obviously happened "collectively" once Barry, Wesley, and Mike James were brought in.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Dang...ratted out so quickly !

:)

15. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Then why didn't they? What more should we have gotten for an old journeyman and a never-was scrub? And who was going to give it to us? If you really thing Jim Jackson and Boki "Never Played" Nachbar would have been the difference in beating the Mavs (if we would have even gotten to the 5th seed), please tell us how they could have put us over the hump.

16. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

You know who I miss most of all?.......Reece Gaines now that guy was a player! :D

Could possibly be the worst move all season... :rolleyes:

17. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

JJ and TMac played the same position.

Wesley was an unsung hero on this team.

TMac averaged 43+ MPG
    Wesley averaged 40 MPG

Next player after that? Yao w/ 31 MPG.

Wesley was brought in to move TMac back to his natural small forward position rather than the 2-guard. Wesley wasn't our savior but he was a very important part of this team's successes.

18. KHimmatramka

KHimmatramka Member

Wesley was born 11.14.70 and Jackson was born 10.14.70. so one month does not make a huge difference.. I am not saying the Rockets would have beaten the MAVS.. they would have beaten the MAVS if they found a way to not let Terry be so effective and if the refs didn't call all that b.s. Wesley is probably not going to be with us next year anyways, but I think if we had proposed a trade this off season with J.J. and Nachbar as opposed to just Wesley, we would have gotten more...

Wesley, 6-1, 2004-05 Statistics (after trade)
    PPG 11.9
    RPG 2.9
    APG 3.3
    SPG 1.20
    BPG .11
    FG% .398
    FT% .857
    3P% .375
    MPG 34.7

Jim Jackson, 6-6, 2004-05 Statistics (after trade)
    PPG 10.5
    RPG 4.2
    APG 2.9
    SPG .55
    BPG .08
    FG% .426
    FT% .931
    3P% .414
    MPG 31.0

Nachbar, 6-9, 2004-05 Statistics (after trade)
    PPG 7.0
    RPG 2.6
    APG 1.0
    SPG .41
    BPG .23
    FG% .392
    FT% .829
    3P% .383
    MPG 18.9

19. KHimmatramka

KHimmatramka Member

I understand about the same position... that is the positive i see in the trade. By the way, before being traded, Jackson averaged 44 minutes per game.. 4th most in the leauge then. And you all call him and old scrub.. Thats a positive of the trade though though Krosphyah so good job

20. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

SO tell us who the Hornets got for JJ?? that trade hit a few weeks after ours and they got nothing for JJ... and you think CD could do better than the second best player from the Hornets?? Name some other people that we COULD have traded for that would have fit into JVGs mold...

#20 Davidoff, Jun 13, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2005