1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worst Rockets Line-up of all time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by We're Back, May 28, 2003.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

SamFisher,

I understand the point you are making, but you do realize that the 82-83 season in which they only won 14 games was the season they tanked to get Sampson. Another thing, look at the history section of the web site, it shows Elvin Hayes played on that team. But its a mistake, it doesn't list Robert Reid but I'm pretty sure that it should say Reid instead of Hayes, considering Hayes was retired.

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Huhh, you're right, he's not listed on there. Maybe he was hurt that year? I don't know. As I said, I was young at the time and that ws 20 years ago. I didn't mean to blow this thing up into a huge argument about Robert Reid.

3. SLA

SLA Member

Don't know really.....BUT JASON COLLIER AND MOOCHIE NORRIS should be somewhere on this worst rockets team.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

No its a mistake, the stats are listed under Elvin Hayes. I'm pretty sure about that. I'm not disagreeing with your premise, that was a pretty bad starting lineup.

5. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

Big E left the Rox in 72 to play for the Bullets and came back to Houston from 81-84. He was at the end of his career. Played fairly well but not as great as he used to.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeah for some reason under Reid's regular stats it doesn't list anything for 82-83. I guess it was a mistake?

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

No ones upset. I'm just taking up for my boy Robert Reid who was a victim of circumstance.

8. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

This is getting a bit off topic, but I would like to address some Rockets history - the great "tank" of 82-83.

The team stank. As a season ticket holder that year, let me tell ya', stank is a nice description. When Allan Leavell is your best player, you suck. The team definitely threw the last game. I was there, right behind the Rox bench - if I had had sneaks on they probably would have put me on the floor. BUT, the idea that the team threw games right and left all season long is just wrong. I only really remember them throwing the last game, although it could have been the last several.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming ....

9. crash5179

I thought Robert Reid went into premature early retirement for a year because he wanted to spend time serving god or something. I believe the omission is correct. He then came back after Sampson was drafted.

10. crash5179

You have my deepest sympathy for sitting through the 82-83 season. You are a true fan. ;)

11. Asian Sensation

12. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

well, somebody does not know their history. Maybe you are unaware of how Amigo tore up the Knicks in the 94 Finals.

my all-time worst lineup

C Thomas Hamilton
    PF Alvin Heggs
    SF Terence Morris
    SG Tracy Moore
    PG Dirk Minnifield (just because of that rediculous dribbling against Seattle in Game 6 of the 87 west semis when McMillan stripped him.

13. silent j

silent j Member

I hate to say this because it was so long ago and my memory is spotty about that time (you know, first year of college) but I'm pretty sure there was speculation that Bobby Joe decided to serve God that year because the team wouldn't renegotiate his contract.
    j