1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worst NCAA champs to NBA class since 2000?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by steddinotayto, Feb 27, 2014.

?

Which one do you pick?

1. 2000

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. 2002

14 vote(s)
    41.2%
  3. 2004

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. 2005

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  5. 2008

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. 2009

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Inspired by the Grantland article that came out today. I left off the 2003 Syracuse team because Carmelo Anthony would have made any of these teams legitimate.

Which championship team has been the worst at producing sustaining NBA talent based on their hype at the time and how they turned out?

2000 Michigan State: Jason Richardon, Mateen Cleaves, Morris Peterson, Andre Huston

2002 Maryland: Steve Blake, Juan Dixon, Chris Wilcox, Lonny Baxter

2004 UConn: Ben Gordon, Charlie V, Emeka Okafor, Marucs Williams, Hilton Armstrong

2005 UNC: Raymond Felton, Rashad McCants, Sean May, Marvin Williams

2008 Kansas: Mario Chalmers, Brandon Rush, Cole Alrich, Darrell Arthur

2009 UNC: Ty Lawson, Tyler Hansborough, Ed Davis, Danny Green

2. da_juice

da_juice Member

Definitely 08 Kansas. None of those guys are starting caliber.

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

but one of those guys was the starting PG on the 2 time defending champs

4. da_juice

da_juice Member

Well technically yes, but you could put any point guard on that team with similar results and I doubt Chalmers starts on another team.

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

That 2005 UNC team has the most disappointment

6. SK34

SK34 Member

Nope. He is very underrated. Defensively and offensively. Heat won some of those games in the final because of him. He plays big in big moments.

7. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Chalmers sploded twice in the finals for Miami.... He won them two games last year.

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Sean May?

Now there's a name that I completely forgot about.

9. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Makes you really appreciate that Florida team that won back to back championships

10. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

The 09 UNC team looks pretty good. Danny Green has been a good contributor. Ed Davis remains to be seen, but he's still around. Hansborough is earning a rep as a tough guy who can rebound, and Ty Lawson is probably the best player on that whole list.

11. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Wut. Lawson is not. Maybe nowadays he might be. But Richardson was better. Gordon was probably the best player of the bunch before he left Chicago to go rot in Detroit. There were no classic 08/09 Bulls vs Celtics playoff matches without Ben Gordon.
    <br>
    I'd say that 08 team for sure. Then the 2000 Michigan State team, since no one other than Richardson did anything. I thought Morris Peterson would be better but he was disappointing.

After that the Maryland team from 2002 was the most disappointing. Blake and Wilcox turned out to be decent NBA rotation players for a while (Blake obviously still is) but the fact that Juan Dixon did absolutely nothing really sucked for Maryland fans. His performance during that championship run was pretty awesome.

I think the overall most disappointing player who actually showed promise is Okafor. That guy had a really good rookie season. Avg'd something like 15/11. Then got progressively worse as time goes on. Sad.

12. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Even though Singler has made it to the NBA and Plumlee's having a decent year, I'd go with the 2010 Blue Devils over any of the teams in the poll.

13. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

I'd go with:

2002 Maryland: Steve Blake, Juan Dixon, Chris Wilcox, Lonny Baxter

14. awc713

awc713 Member

Dont really see the point of this thread, TBH.

Winning the NCAA title isn't all about accumulating as much NBA talent as possible. Successful NCAA teams are generally EXTREMELY well coached, especially when it comes to defense.

Defense in NCAA is so much more fun to watch than in the NBA--because they actually try.

Back to the topic, though--I will say the 2005 Tarheels squad has had the most dissapointing NBA career. Marvin Williams over CP3 in the draft to this day still puzzles me.