1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worst announcers in basketball?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Mar 21, 2001.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I've been paying close attention to announcers this year with the League Pass... I get a lot of the road announcers and watch a lot of non-Rocket games.

Along with the Spurs duo (and man the Milwaukee combo was bad), I would like to throw in Minnesota's combo, particularly former Rocket Jim Petersen.

Granted I wanted the TWolves to lose against Dallas, but Juwan Howard and Wally Szczerbiak mixed it up late and Howard went after Wally before being restrained.

Petersen went on a tirade, saying, "What is Howard upset about? He's the stupid player who made the stupid foul!!"

And after Szczerbiak dunked basically sealing the game, the play-by-play guy had a joygasm screaming in to the mic, "SORRY FOLKS! THE PARK IS CLOSED! MOOSE OUTSIDE SHOULD HAVE TOLD YOU!" (ripping off the movie "Vacation")

I'm just sitting there thinking... "Damn, how long have you been practicing that line?"

And my goodness do these guys ride Kevin Garnett's jock ... don't know how many times I heard, "There are just no more superlatives to describe THE FRANCHISE!"

Homers are great... they don't bother me. But certain announcers just have no respect for opponents, which makes them hard to watch.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

[This message has been edited by Clutch (edited March 21, 2001).]

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Couldn't agree with you more. I actually turned off the T-pup game. Just couldn't take it anymore. The Bucks announcers are bad. I thought the Kings announcers were awful last night.

The Spur anouncers, while low-key, are very knowledgeble and are not homers.

------------------
    "Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."-
    (Aldous Huxley)

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited March 21, 2001).]

3. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Yeah I agree with Clutch. Peterson really sounds like a real idiot when he is commentating, I cant stand the guy.

The spurs commentators are reallllllllly boring to listen to, they make u fall asleep when they talk.

I heard almost alot of the commentators around the league since I have league pass and tell u the truth , Rockets have the most exciting duo. Calvin and Bill know alot , they are hilarious and just fun to listen. They can make a blowout rocket game thats dead , really exciting making u forget rockets are even losing.

Lakers Announcer for the starting lineups is probably the worst for announcing players. Listen to how he introduces the lakers, its like how they introduce the visiting team. He speaks in his normal voice, not making any excitement to the players coming out.

------------------
    "Break off the block like Maurice Green" --- Steve Francis

President of the Moochie Norris fan club.

4. Francis3

Francis3 Member

------------------

5. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

The worst announcers are as follows:

The Jazz Duo- AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The Minnesota Twins- monotone blah blah monotone OH I LOVE REGGIE SLATER

The Spur snoozers: snoooorrrrrrreeeee "Duncan was grabbed after that rebound, WHY NO CALL?! What a terrible call!" "DOES IT AGAIN!" Yes guys, amazingly, NBA players are able to "do it again".

The Kings (can't come up with a good nickname) - Nasty voices to listen to. The color guy is a moron, but that has already been discussed.

Utah- I have to mention them again. Oh my bloody god...

Orlando- Oh god, please don't sing it...
    ------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

[This message has been edited by ZRB (edited March 21, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by ZRB (edited March 21, 2001).]

6. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I might as well mention the best:

Bill and Calvin- They make every game fun. Enough has been said about them.

Kevin Calabro (and whoever does color) of the Sonics. He has the fastest voice in basketball, and gets so excited when the Sonics do well, its hard not to enjoy his commentary. He makes every game exciting, and has complimented the Rockets many times.

Ralph Lawler and Bill Walton of the Clips-
    BINGOOOOOO! OH ME, OH MY! "Where would the Clippers be without Sean Rooks"? These guys make Clipper games a lot of fun to watch.

Chick and Stu of the Lakers- They are one of the most unbiased crews in the league. They are never afraid to compliment other teams, and bash the Lakers. Chick may not be in his prime, but he does a good job.

The Atlanta announcers- I've got to mention them, because when the Rockets played Atlanta, they had a MONSTER special on Hakeem. They couldn't stop talking about him, and they were never afraid to compliment the Rockets.

There are a few others I have forgotten.

------------------
    Hakeem "The Dream" Olajuwon is the greatest player in the history of basketball. If you disagree, you are not a Rocket fan.

7. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Sorry about the double posts.

------------------

8. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

I watched the 76er's road announcers the other night, and they seemed very non biased towards Philly even though they did root for them.

Kings announcers are horrible. They're real cocky.

The Celtics home announcers I like. Cousy and some other guy run the show, and it's just funny listening to their Baaaston accents since I have family up there.

The Clipper announcers are great. Walton doesn't take the games seriously at all. He's just like "Cmon, just dunk on somebody."
    He was even better last year when the Clipps were worse. I remember in a game on the road at Phoenix he was like " and the Clipps showing alot of heart, making this valient late charge, down 37 with 2:34 left in the fourth."

Totally in agreement about the T-Wolves announcers.

I started busting out laughing when they were talking about Nowitzki and how he was playing with a cold. One was like,"it's hard to play with a cold, especially knowing you're going to have to guard Kevin and WALLY." My god, I know how the epitome of a role player that is Wally Szcerbiak,must bring fear into the hearts of his opponents.

You are right about them riding Garnett's jock. Hey guys, we get the point he's a great player. We don't have to hear you reiterate it 50 times a game.

------------------
    I hate role players

[This message has been edited by tacoma park legend (edited March 21, 2001).]

9. KGPD21

KGPD21 Member

Bill Walton

Need I say more.

------------------
    Rasheed Wallace gots mad skilz. Who cares about the techs?

10. jamma34

jamma34 Member

yeah bill walton takes the cake...

but, and myabe its cuz i live in dallas, the mavs announcers are just boring as all hell. they're masters of the obvious. just kinda state the obvious. never any insight into the game or anythig. no excitement either, pretty monotone and boring.
    as for good announcers, i really like hubie brown, because he really breaks the game down in detail. i really enjoy listenin to him.

------------------
    http://members.fortunecity.com/omar369

11. jamma34

jamma34 Member

this spawns a whole new idea:
    post your favorite bill walton quotes

"hakeem's worst shot is still better than anyone else's best shot"

------------------
    http://members.fortunecity.com/omar369

12. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

"The Clippers are routing the Pacers."
    -Bill Walton as the Clippers took a 6 point lead with 10:30 left in the third quarter.

------------------

13. Rim Check

Rim Check Member

The worst is the Blazers with Snapper Jones.
    When someone fouls someone hard he refers to it as: "He really laid the wood to him" that's something I would rather not think about.

------------------

14. Rockets Fan Trapped In MN

Rockets Fan Trapped In MN Contributing Member

All time favorite line from Bill Walton (on NBC): "Arvidas Sabonis, get a pivot foot!"

------------------

15. Rockets Fan Trapped In MN

Rockets Fan Trapped In MN Contributing Member

Back to the T-Wolves announcers. Jim Peterson is simply a vapid waste of space. And this is his first year as analyst for the T-Wolves. Last year they had former Chicago Bull Trent Tucker doing color comentary. The thing about Trent was that you could tell he was trying his hardest when he spoke to annunciate EV-ER-Y SING-GLE SYL-LA-BLE. And he would come up with some really great gems, like:

"Basketball is a game of highs and lows. The goal is to have more highs than lows."

(Whenever KG would make a great play): "I feel ya big fella!!"

"If you do not like NBA basketball, then you do not like yourself!"

I kinda miss good 'ol Trent. He had a lot of enthusiasm. When compared to Peterson, Trent's a breath of fresh air.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rockets Fan Trapped In MN (edited March 22, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Rockets Fan Trapped In MN (edited March 22, 2001).]

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

17. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

Jazz duo DEFINITELY takes the cake.

I actually QUITE enjoyed the Sacramento announcers, but I turned the game off at the end of the third, and apparently, from what I've read on this site, they blew up after that. Anyways...

I enjoyed Atlanta, San Antonio, and Vancouver as well. I do NOT like Boston's or Denver's very much...oh I also liked Golden State's.

------------------
    Jazzkiller

18. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

The Dallas duo is pretty bad too, although on rare occasions they will give props to the opposing players who deserve it. But living in Dallas, we see every Mavs game on one of two channels.

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

19. AndyH3000

AndyH3000 New Member

the WORST announcer or color man in all of sports has to be Bill Walton....I admit, I havne't heard much of these other regional guys, but for a guy who does color for nationally televised college games, he has absolutely NO IDEA what he is doing.

------------------
    Live from Cary Quad
    Andy

20. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I use to hate walton myself, that is before I got the league pass and watched some clippers games. This guys is hiliarious! I swear! He pokes fun at everyone and everything, even his co-announcers. Sometimes he does go too far with the sarcasm though, and you can hear the other commentators getting a little pissed! Funny stuff.

------------------