1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worst 5 Players to ever wear a Rockets Uniform

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by adagio75, Jul 16, 2008.

1. zcity

zcity Contributing Member

You're right - I ban myself !!!

This was just the perfect thread to post a Granny Pic.

I actually love the dude.

I hear the Guy was like Barry White with the ladies back in the day - Silky Smooth.

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Gotta ask that you remove Kunnert from this list. Wasn't he our starting center for 3-5 years. He was a decent player. Same with Buck Johnson and Allen Leavell.

I was going to pitch in Steve Harris and Rudy White (Rockets first early selection) but someone beat me to them.

How about John Egan, McCoy McLemore, Eric McWilliams, Dick Cunningham?

This is an interesting project but should be refined:

Worst #1 draft choice: Lee Johnson
    Worst #2 draft choice: Serge Zwikker
    Worst trade acquisition: Charles Barkley (in terms of cost)
    Worst FA acquisition: Mo Taylor
    Worst coach: Tex Winter
    Worst Starter: John Egan
    Worst Rotation Player: Steve Harris (barely rotating)
    Worst Scrub: Rudy White (hardly ever saw the court)
    Worst castoff (meaning good/great player for someone else): Craig Ehlo

3. Houston Native

Houston Native Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Off topic, but one of my favorite players was John Johnson when we had him for a few years in the 70's. Very heady player and very fundamentally sound.

4. adagio75

adagio75 Member

Yes Eddie Griffin did suck! I don't care if he is no longer with us! Stromile Swift has a lot of potential. Kwame Brown has alot of potential. Does that negate the fact that they don't over all suck? Hell No!!! Eddie Griffin had alot of potential, but he overall sucked! If u want stats then look them up and they will tell you the truth.

Also this thread could'nt suck to bad with over 7000 hits and over 150 replies! What have you done on this site lately???

5. stab

stab Member

1. Scottie Pippen
    2. Dave Jamerson
    3. Buck Johnson
    4. John Turner
    5. 'Stro Swift

6. bucket

bucket Member

Of course, another way of looking at it is that only 1/40th of the people who view the thread feel it's worth posting in.

7. ballinUNC

ballinUNC Member

I dont post much but I had to say something about this. If there was one guy that would definitely fit the bill, it would have to be Scottie Pippen. We could have been one of the best teams for years if he wasnt such a selfish player. All he had to do was put his ego aside and get along with Charles and we would have been unstoppable. We would have won at least two championships. He finally had a great center in Hakeem to play with. He would be mentioned in "who are the greatest players to ever wear a Rockets uniform" thread instead of this. It pisses me off just thinking about it.

8. double d

double d Contributing Member

Personal issues aside, he was still a huge disappointment on the court. Rox gave up 4 draft picks for a guy who made the occasional weak-side block and knocked down a few 3's. That and being a lean 6'10" body was pretty much his whole game.

9. double d

Personal issues aside, Eddie Griffin was still a huge disappointment on the court. Rox gave up 4 draft picks for a guy who made the occasional weak-side block and knocked down a few 3's. That and being a lean 6'10" body was pretty much his whole game.

10. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Of course, if you're anything like me you've checked in 7-12 times and only posted once so the numbers go back down...

11. adagio75

adagio75 Member

to be in that percentile is an honor. Most threads fall to the way side as soon as they are posted, this one is still being viewed. I also feel that i have gotten what i wanted from the topic, which was to simply get feed back on some names of old rockets players that fans did not see as good or even contributing players.

12. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    AHHHHHH, if you are going to try and say something like this at least get your facts straight...
    We traded 3 draft picks for Eddie Griffin, not four...
    <br>
    Either way, he was like 20 0r 21 when we let him go, and at that point he was already developing into a very very good player. He did not make the "occasional" weak side block, he made a ton of blocks for a kid his age. He had great range and athleticism for someone his size. He actually crashed the boards, something that if you recall, no other Rocket did at that time. So, it is in fact the personal issues that ruined Eddie Griffin.
    <br>
    I still stand by the statement that he was not amongst the top 5, hell, any worst player list that's made about the Rockets...
    <br>
    Go educate yourself son: http://www.clutchfans.net/feature.cfm?FeatureID=114

13. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

Well, with the help of wikipedia, I did manage to find the names of those players who played on that 1982-83 squad who I consider candidates, but there are nine of them from that squad I'll leave off the list, which are James Bailey, Joe Bryant (Kobe's dad), Elvin Hayes, Tom Henderson, Caldwell Jones, Allen Leavell, Calvin Murphy, Billy Paultz, and Terry Teagle.

The candidates I have in mind from that 1982-83 squad are as follows:

Calvin Garrett
    Major Jones
    Jeff Taylor (My #1 Candidate)
    Wally Walker
    Chuck Nevitt​
    I wonder if anyone on this board thinks the other players that have been listed on previous posts in this thread are any worse than these five candidates? I doubt it very much if any one of them would wind up being any worse than Jeff Taylor.

14. double d

AHHHHHHH, take it easy there son, I was off by one pick (only 2 of them, Jefferson and Collins got significant minutes in the NBA).

Yeah, I think we all saw how well applied his talent on the court :rolleyes:

OK, he could block shots.

Busted. Check the facts, son:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2002.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2003.html

Let me know if you need help reading that.

15. MandM's

MandM's Member

Serge Zwicker

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The worst performances by Roland Ratings and such the last few seasons by players that played more than just a few minutes were:

Vasilis Spanoulis 0607
    Scott Padgett 0607
    Ryan Bowen 0506
    Bostjan Nachbar 0405
    Adrian Griffin 0304
    Richie Frahm 0506

17. Cocainecowboy

Cocainecowboy Member

1.Luther Head
    2.Buck Johnson
    3.Derrick Chevious
    4.Scottie Pippen
    5.Matt Maloney

18. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    woah there big shot, calm down...
    don't pop a vein or anything :D
    <br>
    point is, you were still off :p

Again, he still applied it well enough to not be rated as one of the top 5 worst rockets ever...

Right, so he was outrebounded by Yao Ming and Steve Francis...
    such a disappointment :rolleyes:

19. smootheone1969

smootheone1969 New Member

Granville Waiters-C
    John Turner-F
    Zan Tabek-F/C

20. smootheone1969

smootheone1969 New Member

[smootheone1969]
    Granville Waiters-C
    John Turner-F
    Zan Tabek-F/C