1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

worse legal vices

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kyakko, Jan 17, 2009.

?

Which legal vice is the worse?

1. Drinking

15 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Smoking

17 vote(s)
    30.9%
  3. Gambling

23 vote(s)
    41.8%
  1. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

at one point or another, i was addicted to one or more of them. i don't do illegal drugs, and managed to quit smoking a year ago. i also quit hard core gambling about 3 years ago. i'm still binge drinking on weekends. it's one of my resolutions to tone it down a bit.

which one is the worse when used in excess?

drinking: liver problems. domestic abuse. driving drunk potentially killing someone.

smoking: lung cancer. second hand smoke harmful to babies, family and dog. age faster.

gambling: can't pay rent, mortgage payments and diapers. always broke. always borrowing money and lying about it. been known to break up families and is a leading cause of suicides.

2. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

gambling no doubt.

3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

IMO-

Drinking followed closely by gambling then a distant last is smoking. All 3 hurt the vice user but I think drinking does more serious (even deadly) harm to others.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

1)Smoking
    2)Drinking
    3)Gambling

Gambling ruins your life a short period of time before one realizes they have a problem. Many people refuse to deal with smoking until its too late. Its harder to deal with (There is not exactly smokers AA meetings)

5. mbiker

mbiker Member

Unless you are gambling on the stock market.

6. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Smoking.

Besides the obvious reason :) (evil cigarettes!!!),

I thought about this as "ease of doing"

You can smoke a lot easier than gamble or drink, especially if you're talking about cost and availability.

So if its easier, you do more, which makes it worse.

(don't like the way that sounded, but I'm leaving it...for now)

-

7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I only smoke mar1juana. Even then, its still much less than the average cig smoker.

8. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

1. Gambling is by far the worst. You can get yourself into so much trouble with a gambling addiction. A huge, huge debt is perhaps the worst thing imaginable. Gambling can ruin lives like nothing else.

As for #2, it really depends. If a person is an alcoholic and smacks around the spouse or kids whenever he/she gets drunk, then I'd be inclined to put drinking for #2.

If, however, the person just likes to drink all the time and doesn't abuse anyone else while doing so, then smoking should be #2 because it is just a wee bit more harmful to your health than drinking and is more likely to affect others.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Gambling by a mile.

10. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I don't understand how "huge, huge debt" is worse than "smacking around the spouse or kids". And with drinking you also have drunk driving which mame or kill innocent people every day.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

depends on ya criteria

Potential Disaster?
    alcohol can kill quicker and more people
    [yourself and who ever you run into . . or simple alcohol poisening]
    Smoking can kills but it is slower and you can expose more people to it through second hand smoke and it will not get them for years down the line

So . . .Quick versus impact

Rocket River

12. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Doritos and Chocolate Chip ice cream.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I think food is an underrated vice.

14. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

The huge debt also causes you to smack around your spouse and kids out of anger. Plus you have no money to feed the kids anything except for McDonald's 29 cent hamburgers (you have to stock up for an entire week each Wednesday).

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Drunk driving isn't legal...

Alcohol is a vice that can hurt only yourself. You don't have to drive when you drink. You don't have to be abusive when you drink. Plenty of drunk people are happier and nicer when they drink.

Smoking isn't good for anyone, but just because you smoke doesn't mean you will get cancer, or that you weren't going to anyways.

Gambling can ruin your life and hurt everyone around you. Of course you could always become rich.

I'd say gambling because it is so easy to go to far, and it will likely lead to drinking, and smoking(at the very least second hand smoke where you gamble).

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I the slope is most slippery with gambling. It stimulates the testosterone centers in men, which is really bad because you actually need to use your head and not your balls when playing something like poker to win. Unfortunately, the biggest constituent of gamblers constitute the poor and uneducated, which means they are the ones hurt the most by it. Granted, alcoholism and smoking affect the poor mostly too, but it just comes down to your assessment of how each vice is distributed.

I tend to believe that alcohol and smoking are more evenly distributed across the social classes than "Stupid Gambling", which would constitute slot machines, other Vegas games where your return rate is <48%, and card games like poker and blackjack WHEN you have no knowledge of the math whatsoever.

17. mazyar

mazyar Member

It is Gambling with out a doubt.

Because it only takes one day or one time to get hooked. It only takes one day to lose all your money. With drinking and smoking, it takes much longerr.

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

pick your poison? i can't say any is much worse than the other.

i'll look at it like this... if i had to choose which vice a loved one should have (given the 3 choices) i'd choose smoking.

so the worst two IMO would be drinking and gambling. can't decide between them.

19. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Does the word "legal" and/or "lack of real anonymity" mean anything to you? :cool: