1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

World War III

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, May 6, 2006.

1. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Stalin said, "One death is a tragedy. A million is a statistic."

2. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i thought it was, you can't kill just one. or am i confusing this with lay's potato chips?

3. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Sure, if by that you mean none of the deaths from sanctions were directly attributed to sanctions, but that gives a skewed picture.

4. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I appreciate the caveat. I'm not sure why you would think I was ever 'comfortable' with deaths. They are a reality. That doesn't mean they are meaningless. When someone says 'many more people have died with the intervention than if we had stayed out' then they are using a bodycount to establish the unworthiness of the action. I responded to that.

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

You didn't answer my question.

6. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I answered your post in a genuine manner. You've asked me a question like 'have you stopped beating your wife.' To answer it asserts I only look at people as a statistic.

#106 HayesStreet, May 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: May 10, 2006
  7. Sishir Chang

It wouldn't surprise me if he said that too. But then again when you're Joe Stalin that's an easy mistake to make. ;)

8. Sishir Chang

The difference is that its pretty obvious when a body is riddled with shrapnel that it was killed by a bomb. Its a little harder to determine the direct cause regarding deaths by sanctions which is why I would be more skeptical of numbers regarding casualties caused by sanctions. I don't deny that the sanctions didn't cause deaths but its harder to draw a direct correlation to say that everyone who died, or even a majority of those that died in Iraq, during the period of sanction can be directly attributable to sanctions.

9. Sishir Chang

Well have you?

;) ;) :p

10. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

I understand. However, to only assess those deaths skews the overall picture.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Get over it, Hayes. You're skewed! :D

Keep D&D Civil.

12. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

:p.......

Whoa. :eek:

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I'm pissed that I missed out on WWWII, I'm still using the original. ;)