1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

World Series win vs. NBA finals win?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Fatty FatBastard, Oct 20, 2005.

?

What do you prefer? Astros or Rox win it all this year?

1. Astros

102 vote(s)
    62.6%
  2. Rockets

61 vote(s)
    37.4%
  1. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

That's my sentiments too.

If the Stros win it this year I don't think this will be bigger than the 94 Rockets. Houston had never won championship at any major level prior to then so it was huge for the Rox to do that.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

ditto. i'd prefer a world series over any other championship.

3. Phi83

Phi83 Contributing Member

World Series!!! There has never been one in Texas!!! Its a lot hard to get to the Playoffs in Baseball than Basketball...

4. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

On *the* one and only Rockets Fan BBS, you guys opt to vote for another sports?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

5. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

You gotta go with the Stros. The Rockets have already won a few.

6. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

7. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Right. The Rockets will get their's eventually. Tell that to Gary Payton, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Chris Mullin, Patrick Ewing, Dominique Wilkins, Reggie Miller, Charles Barkley, they all thought that they would eventually win too.

What the Astros have done is awesome, but if I had a choice I'd pick the...

ROCKETS!

8. thech0senone

thech0senone Contributing Member

I love the Astros and Rockets equally, but I would have to go with the Astros. Only because Bagwell and Biggio are at the end of their careers and this is probably their last shot at a ring.

9. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I paid my dues and contributed here, and obviously there are other baseball lovers out there... and considering I post it in the right forum I can say what I want about the Astros :)

I love the Rockets, but baseball is my lifelong love... probably because I played it my entire life and was actually really, really good at it growing up. I love the history of baseball, and the respect that comes along with playing it. I love the fact that if you don't respect the other team it is a given that you will be plunked. I love the fact that one inch can change a season and that on any given day anyone on the roster can be a hero. It's a chess match in motion, a gentlemen's game.

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Astros. Getting their first championship would be better to me than the Rox getting their 3rd. That simple.

Do it for Biggio and Bags.

Evan

11. yobod

yobod Member

Same sentiment like most that have replied, its Astros all the way. I love my rockets, and bball is my first love, but the World Series for this team is beyond anything i could ever hope for. This one is for the veterans of 18and 15 years named Biggio and Bagwell that have stuck with this organization through numerous amounts of heartbreaks and upsets.

Of course the best answer would be both the Astros and Rockets win, but gun to my head, I'll stick by the Star.

12. Cire

Cire Contributing Member

I am a Rockets fanactic first and foremost, but I have been following all Houston teams for almost 30 years. I have felt the highs and the lows. I voted Astros, because I think it is harder to get into the playoffs much less win a MLB World Series.

13. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

i would love for the astros to win it all, but if i had to pick i would pick rockets hands down. Maybe cuz im more of a basketball guy but i would DIE if we won the championship, i would go completely nuts downtown! i went downtown to celebrate and honk when we won last night but it just doesnt feel the same. any championship from any sport brought to houston is great though

14. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

Rockets. Just mainly because I like basketball better than I do baseball.

15. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Man, I'd give almost anything for the Astros to win the Series.

But if they did win, and a genie appeared and told me the Rockets could win the title if I wished the Astros had never won, hell yeah I'd do it. I love Craig Biggio and everything, but the Rockets are MY TEAM.

16. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

Yeah, I kind of had the same logic there as well...I think the world champs of baseball just get more recognition then in basketball and so it is a more coveted prize. After all, baseball is still america's past time, however i was kinda surprised that the results were this much in favor on a die hard rockets based fan website.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I actually never realized how insignificant the NBA is in much of the country, until I left Houston and lived in other parts of the US.

Its still a major sport, but as far as national recognition goes, its far far below the NFL and MLB, and its probably even below College Football.

College Basketball is special because while the eventual winner doesn't get that much more hype than any other team, March Madness is an event that the entire nation fixates on almost as much as a Super Bowl.

18. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

you talk about an impossible decision to make, i love the rockets more than any other team but the stros deserve a championship, they've gone without one for so long. i can't vote either way, i'll have to vote BOTH....and this year! :D

19. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Tough decision. If the Rockets hadn't already won a championship, I'm not sure how I would answer.

However, I voted for the Astros winning the Series.

It boils down to how implausible it is for a Houston team to compete against the spending giants of baseball. Drayton has done wonders to keep this team competitive, but logic says the payroll is going to have to come down before long.

Steinbrenner and Turner will continue to get theirs, but the window for the Astros is closing fast.

20. Toast

Toast Member

I picked Astros, mostly because of the fact that I've already seen the Rockets win a world championship. But also because these Astros have worked hard for many years to make it this far.