1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

World Series Has Lowest Ratings On Record, Is BLM To Blame?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Oct 28, 2020.

1. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Meh, I don't care what most people say. It's not all that unlike venturing into the D&D.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

People too worried about their bread and to care about circuses:

Another factor is that we're spending too much time in our lives in front of a screen. Without groups, the experience isn't novel or a distraction to that drudgery.

RayRay10, B-Bob and malakas like this.
  3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

i get your point op and I view this as a form of systemic racism and bringing down a brand. similar to cola wars or one brand pecking at something over and over to make it bad..

if i say you are "good at sales" everyday over time even if you arent there is this seed of that you are good. people might believe it.

ever since blm became anything the effort consciously or not to diminish is ever present..

its a branding of blm with negative connotation that builds an unfavorable image or perception of the product. in this case blm. its like any product where good enough marketing and push can make it seem to be anything.

this is the same thing jews have experienced for a thousand years at least being blamed for any flood or act of god.

scapegoating is a form of rationalizing your involvement and culpability.
    its easy to blame the jew/black/american indian etc.

the gop are extremely skilled at seeding..propping or diminishing a brand as needed and to that end they can look to make false correlations that people arent watching nba attempting to hurt the brand AND blame the low ratings on it.serves 2 purposes..also the undertone is there of NOT highlighting in mlb.
    subtle but unspoken ( there is no need)
    you can look at this as indoctrination. from a young child you are taught overt or not xyz product is sh*it and another isnt. this is being told from day 1 maybe not overtly that black people are sh*it but in this case the simple statement "black lives matter" is sh*it..its an association...over time the seeding and negative highlighting that
    black person becomes = bad and negative association..

over time my kid on his own will start to make associations of race and the branding received. you can then ask kid do you want the ice cream from a black or white or chinese or whatever and my child will have preconceived notions of each..

so you have society doing it and then interest groups ..then you have gop do this with everything... its what has you doubting any element that biden is old. it had you wondering if the "hussein" made you think obama aint exactly hot dogs pizza apple pie.

same for kerry being a "flip flopper" yet lindsey graham there saying "use my words against me" as he flips on one of most important lifetime positions in usa modern history..

systemically debranding and chipping at something in this case is a form of systemic racism.
    its also a slippery slope to blaming the rain on jews and blacks which has been happening for centuries..thats how you get blm being blamed now..

tinman, Reeko and RayRay10 like this.
  4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Did BLM cause these ratings to drop too? Lmao

Lemme guess, the Masters was too woke?

SamFisher likes this.
  5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

As we gather more data points it is definitely looking like nobody is watching any sports.

Are "normal" TV ratings down too?

It would be an unexpected but perhaps not so illogical phenomenon that people being able to participate (in-person as fans, recreational players, or patrons at bars or other social gatherings) in a sport is linked so directly to their desire to watch it on TV.

Do we have data points about sports ratings during other economic downturns or prolonged periods of civic strife (WW2)?

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

I haven’t seen any data presented from those time periods, but I’ll be on the lookout if any gets revealed

it was always asinine and incredibly stupid to blame low ratings on BLM like conservatives have been trying to do

record unemployment, businesses closing left and right, over 200k deaths, massive number of evictions looming

Who really has time to be watching sports?

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

[
    Exactly not only are people stressed and wrecked but being force fed out of season sporting events (like the Masters or Kentucky Derby in November) that are simulacra of the normal non covid version is not gonna magically distract them from the hellscape

Sports were always part of life rather than just an escape therefrom

8. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Social Media = #1 attention taker...followed by gaming...followed by streaming services.
    Gaming has become a huge market compared to 1980 to 1990.. My dad who is 80+ years old...plays games on his phone (he never played games before)

I went from watching sports 3-5 times a day...to 0 because there is only 24 hours in a day. Too many other viable options to entertain myself.

Sports viewership will continue to go down (domestically), unless they can expand globally to re-gain viewers. Or... USA can block the internet and force people to use their TV again with antenna's

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

NBA ratings down: "See, this is America rejecting BLM and the leftist agenda!"

NHL ratings down: "There's a pandemic going on dummy!"

10. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Almost every MLB team "protested" and took a game or 2 off right after the NBA playoffs were temporarily shutdown. The Astros took a game off against the A's.

No idea what impact that had, but Tampa being in the series probably had more to do with it.

11. edwardc

edwardc Member

Their is two reasons and neither had anything to do with BLM. 1. The pandemic has allowed people to do other things than watch sports.2 45 and his continued stands on not being a ethic douchebag.