1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

World Cup Draw

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Caddman, Dec 1, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Caddman

Caddman Contributing Member

Group A - Korea
    France
    Senegal
    Uruguay
    Denmark

Group B - Korea
    Spain
    Slovenia
    Paraguay
    South Africa

Group C - Korea
    Brazil
    Turkey
    China
    Costa Rica

Group D - Korea
    Korea Republic
    Poland
    United States
    Portugal

Group E - Japan
    Germany
    Saudi Arabia
    Ireland
    Cameroon

Group F - Japan
    Argentina
    Nigeria
    England
    Sweden

Group G - Japan
    Italy
    Ecuador
    Croatia
    Mexico

Group H - Japan
    Japan
    Belgium
    Russia
    Tunisia

Personally, I don't like the US's chances. Germany seem to have gotten a favorable draw. And who did England piss off to get drawn into that group?

2. GB_Rocket

GB_Rocket Contributing Member

You should be asking who did Argentina, one of the seeded teams, piss off to get that draw.

Why am I not surprised Brazil got the softest draw out of all?

3. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

England got screwed!!!

:mad: :mad: :mad:

4. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Group H is a freaking joke.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Hehehe...that's what England gets for beating Germany!!!! They might not even survive the first round...Argentina and Nigeria are just about the "%%"ing toughest draw you could get. If Germany and Brazil do not get out of their groups alive, they should never send a team to the World Cup again... I think Korea will actually make it to the second round, together with Portugal.

6. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

I like the US' chance. Their group is not particularly strong.

Yup England got screwed. But they should be able to survive the first round (?).

Germany has been pretty weak these past 2 years. I read from some Euro paper that their coach views this World Cup as a prep for the next one ... :eek:

And Brazil sucks now compared to their glory days. They even struggled playing with 2nd-tier teams ... sigh ......

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Sweden is no pansy either.

Beckham and the boys will have to play balls to the wall to advance from that group.

What worries me, is that even if England does survive, will they run out of gas?

It's gonna be BS if England faces a team that easily clinches their group, which enables them to rest their guys.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

The U.S. has a chance. I don't think our group is that strong either. All we need to do is get some points and sneak into the next round. In our group, the opportunity is there to at least get some points and goals.

9. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Portugal has the group locked up. Figo will kill the US.

Korea and Poland aren't too far behind the US. It will be a dogfight for 2nd place.

10. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

can any of you recommend a video game for PS2 that will help me to get acquainted with most of the players I'll be watching next summer?

I have world cup '98, but I'm assuming the rosters have changed over quite a bit since then.

I'm not that knowledgable about the game, but I got really hooked in '98.

I want to try to know which players are the key guys for each team, and I'm hoping that playing one of the video games might help me to do that, especially the U.S., England and Argentina.

11. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Go Ireland

nice draw for us

12. Caddman

Caddman Contributing Member

I think we might be underestimating Poland. They're a solid team who rolled through qualifying. And playing Korea at home in the World Cup won't be easy. I don't think any host nation has failed to qualify for the 2nd round. I wouldn't be shocked if England beat Argentina. I liked their chances before the draw. But if they finish 2nd in the group, they'll likely face champions France in the 2nd round.

13. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Fifa 2002.

Club teams and International teams.

14. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member