1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

World Cup 2014 Qualifying - CONCACAF Final Round

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by leroy, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

Actually, If the NA region was not so chicken **** we should form one group and compete for positions in this super region. Would mean that the USA and Mexico would actually have to be competent during qualifiers to actually make a WC. Currently that is not the case.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

We beat Panama and tied them once, so it's not like Panama is better than Mexico straight up. I go back and think about how much we deserved NOT to go, just because the USA beat Panama, but I see it the other way now.

DrLudicrous is right, Panama shouldn't have lost at home to the USA if they were deserving of the ½ spot vs. New Zealand.

No excuses, but the rainy situation played a factor in allowing the Ticos to win fair and square... and they had the speed and the ability... and the home crowd to put pressure on us.

I have confidence that we can have a much better showing now versus the Kiwis. :eek:

OK. I'll go with this. :)

What lesson? Who in MEXICO or a MEXICAN fan is saying we are "better" than any other team in the region right now? Where the heck is this attitude you're talking about? Are you just saying this because you've hated the fact that we're more respected in the world and we have the more popular team in the region? What is it about Mexico that you think is a holier-than-thou attitude? Show me where in this entire thread I've said we are 'holier-than-thou'? You can't. :cool: Live with it.

3. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

Mexicans are the Venezuelans of central/north america...

4. SwoLy-D

^ Still don't get it. :confused: DaFuQ?

5. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

I'm just messing with you...but basically its an unfounded belief that things from Mexico are better…Look no further than Chicarito

6. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

Also, i know i've heard other non-mexican spanish speakers complain that all spanish speaking channels market and broadcast with only the mexican demographic in mind. People are tired of TV ads with the Mexican national team.

7. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

But he plays for the Red Devils, so he must!

I'da gone to Valencia if I were him.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

South America doesn't deserve an extra slot, Uruguay is great now, but they are as up and down as Mexico.

It is designed to get Mexico and the USA into the WC for financial reasons, and it is working.

DD

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

How is that not an excuse? Same weather for both teams. Same craptastic field for both teams. Where was the advantage CR gained by either of those things?

A little defensive? Where in my post did I say specifically you were showing that attitude?

You might be in the very small minority of mexican fans that have given any modicum of respect to the USMNT. Then again, in the past, most of what you'd call a compliment towards the US was anything but. Always saying things like "nice win, but...". I'll take any type of ugly win over a loss anytime. What makes it even better is that's not even the case now.

Serious question...your guys have shown no sign of pulling out of this crap cycle they've been in. What gives you confidence that they will in the next 3 weeks? If NZ does anything well, it's play strong defense.

10. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

Can't disagree with that. Doesn't change my opinion that play in nation from SA would very likely qualify as the top seed in NA region.

11. SwoLy-D

The Ticos' style of play isn't as technical as Mexico's. Albeit, that skill didn't show up last night... and it cost us dearly, but you won't deny that water on the pitch hurts the more skilled players.

Where you said "the mexican team and it's fans" AND so that means the team and ME. WHERE ELSE? I've already quoted you.
    So you accept the USA hasn't been playing WELL, like I've noted?
    BRAND NEW coaching scheme. We've only had two games to adapt. :eek:

12. leroy

I said nothing of the US not playing well. Most wins in a calendar year in the team's history. Complete domination of the region in the Gold Cup using a B team. CONCACAF record for most points in the Hex. I'm in no way, shape, or form concerned about our form. I kind of wish they weren't playing well. A loss to Panama last night would not have hurt my feelings at all.

Do you still see a US team playing a hunker down/counter attacking style? If so, you'd be the only one. They're playing a much more aggressive style and forcing the action way more than any previous version. This is not a team sitting back and waiting to attack. They're creating it and it's been fun to watch.

#732 leroy, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The US hasn't played well? Did you miss the 12-game winning streak across competitions? The 22 points to top qualifying?

14. SwoLy-D

UGLY wins leroy was mentioning. :eek: I am not dismissing your streak or points.

You've earned the top spot fair and square, but you can't tell me it's the best football you've played in the entire hexagonal round... you'll say it earns you the points, fine, but... the best...? Even leroy has called them "ugly wins."

No. It's obvious that's not Klinsmann's style. I never mentioned anything about a style of play.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Me either, but I have never been more excited about the USA and the world cup ever...even making the quarter finals in Korea ...this team feels like it belongs.

Hopefully we get a favorable draw like last time.

DD

16. leroy

Then why would you think I was referring to their play in 2013? I was referring to your comments after nearly every US win in the past.

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

really? since the final round started, fans know this team played like crap, they have booed them when they played at home, (except for the last game)
    Im in mexico, and all I hear from the media and tons of fans on facebook, was that this team sucks, and I agree that the ticket to the WC is not sure yet, we have to play against NZ.

18. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I was watching it with these two guys commenting the game, and I was laughing for all the things they were saying. :grin:

Both of these guys have been very critical about the team, every game they keep saying: this team sucks, they are playing without a heart, some of the players shouldnt be playing with the team, and just because they play in europe, the head coach calls them to the team, also that the people in the management of the Mexican Federation should leave, and this team is a mess.

19. SwoLy-D

Almost ALL wins have been ugly. I haven't watched some of the U.S. games, but... you're not denying ugly games, even with the German coach. :cool:

LEAKED PHOTO of the new Mexico jersey kit for the games vs. New Zealand :grin: :
    [​IMG]

:(

20. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Football is not a !@#$ing beauty pageant.
    The object is to win. If we gave championships and World Cups on the basis
    of attacking styles then the 1982 Brasil team would have been given the World Cup trophy after the group stage.

A friend of mine here in Lima was talking to me about the difference between Alianza Lima and Universitario, the 2 biggest teams in Peru.
    Alianza he told me want to play like Brasil, they want to attack and they want to win in style. Most of their fan base is in Lima.
    Universitario just want to win. Doesn't matter how ugly or boring it gets, all that matters is that they get the points. He compared their style of play to the Indiana Pacers (so I could understand how boring they were). The fan base of La U is pretty much everywhere in Peru. I've seen them play in the 2 biggest cities outside of Lima and the fans of Universitario outnumber everyone else.

The USA has been the best soccer team in this region for a good 10 years. And they have the record to prove it. And no amount of whining about style of play or winning ugly is going to diminish that.