1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

World Baseball Classic Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HeyBudLetsParty, Mar 11, 2023.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

That's not fair to Trout. He's only been to the playoffs once. Bagwell and Biggio were worse in their first playoffs and weren't much better in subsequent playoffs.

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Dear NYM fans:

Too Bad

So Sad

~Not Really~ LOLOLOLOLOL

note for clarifications - This is directed at the FANS and their OWNER, not Diaz, who I do feel sorry for and wish him a full recovery next year.

3. rockbox

Still not cool to say out loud. It's bad juju/ karma. Stay classy.

Shark44, eliefor3, noppeper and 6 others like this.
  4. rockbox

For the record, the only player I wish injury on is Bauer, The injury I wish on him are anal fissures from jail.

RunninRaven likes this.
  5. the shark

the shark Member

This says so much about YOU!!!

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sucks for Mets fans. It's interesting how it happened too. I could see teams complaining about this and not wanting players to participate in the WBC...but this wasn't even a game injury. Just a fluke thing celebrating. Maybe the teams just let it go as bad luck.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Watching his brother/teammate standing next to him crying was brutal.

Also, this is just another data point in the Jim Bowden "it's an achilles tear" Is Full of **** scorecard.

tellitlikeitis and Bregatron like this.
  9. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Did someone step on his leg/foot? How exactly did it happen? Probably not quite as ill-conceived as the NFL place kicker who head butted the stadium wall and gave himself a neck injury, I would imagine.

10. Buck Turgidson

Or Martin? Grammatica blowing out his knee celebrating a FG

11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

That was his brother, Bill, who did that

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Yes. I don't like Met's Fans.

13. Buck Turgidson

I knew there were 2 of them, just didn't remember which one it was. I do remember it was on a 1st half FG in a basically meaningless regular season game, and he was untouched when it happened.

And yeah, I do admit to cringing every time the Stros celebrate by jumping up and down in a pack on the field. "don't get hurt...don't get hurt...don't get hurt..."

14. rockbox

How do you even tear that tendon jumping up and down. That's crazy.

15. Buck Turgidson

I blew out my left ACL and MCL just by doing a ~85%-speed "drive left, plant, shot fake up-and-under" while playing pickup hoops. I didn't make it past the "plant" when things went POW!

It happens.

16. rockbox

I just did some research and even though it's called a tendon, it's actually a ligament which makes more sense.

17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I actually hate the world baseball classic because of the injuries. It should either be played in the fall (so that players have time to recover from most injuries that might be sustained) or not include major league stars. Imagine if Ohtani gets hurt during this tournament. Devastating not just for him and the Angels but also really really bad for the game in general.

18. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Then you have pitchers having to ramp up again just as their offseason has started. That can't be great for their arms. At least here you have them doing this as part of their ramp up for the MLB season. There are pitch limits for these pitchers to keep them as healthy as possible. Injuries happen every year during spring training and spring training games which this is taking the place of for the players involved.

Soccer has the World Cup, NBA, and NHL have the Olympics. Players play outside the teams that are paying them millions of dollars for all these international events.

19. jjsmooth

jjsmooth Member

Have it take place during the MLB playoffs. Let the WS winner play the WBC winner in a true world championship.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

MLB’s investment in this, and the worldwide ratings it’s generating, will suggest that the importance of this tournament will only increase.

Miami and Arizona will never have stadiums as full as they’ve been for “meaningless” games in March. Ohtani knows full/well the risk he’s taking here… and he’s out there throwing as hard as he ever has, without anybody forcing him to.

Baseball is THIS international. Where the importance of playing for your home country is extremely meaningful as playing for your club team.

I agree that they should find a better time to play this. I’d actually prefer they shorten the MLB season in years where this tournament takes place, and have it start towards the end when a lot of teams are having meaningless games as is in September, but that would likely exclude a lot of players in playoff contention (but not Trout/Ohtani…ahem). Soccer has figured out how to have tournaments/world cups during seasons for decades and decades, it could be figured out (and that’s a sport where ligament injuries are far more likely than baseball).

#80 Nick, Mar 16, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2023