1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Workplace Ethics - Did I Screw Up?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ima_drummer2k, Oct 24, 2013.

1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

So last month, I left a position that I didn't really like to take a better position in the same company that I do like. More money, better opportunity, much better environment.

Anyway, a few weeks ago, a coworker of mine said he was interested in posting for my OLD position and wanted to come talk to me about it. When we talked, I didn't really unload on all the negatives about the position because I was trying to stay professional. I dropped a few hints hoping he'd pick up on them, but I guess he didn't. We're not really friends outside of work and frankly, I didn't think he'd get the position anyway.

Fast forward to today, he tells me he got the position and he wants to talk to me about it again. Now I'm starting to feel kind of bad for not telling him that I didn't really like the position. I certainly don't want to tell him NOW, since he's already accepted the offer and is pretty excited. Who knows, he may end up liking the position more than I did.

So, did I do the right thing by staying professional during our talk? Or did I screw him over by not telling him how I really felt about the position?

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Yes you did the right thing. You can't trust nobody these days. He could be a brown noser and made you look bad.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If you aren't friends, then I'd say yes. You still work at the same company so it is not your obligation to disparage a position or sabotage your employer's hiring efforts.

If he was your friend I'd say tell him the truth. As he's just a coworker I'd play it right now the line.

4. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

Depends what you didn't enjoy about the position. Office politics? manager? etc...

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

If he didn't specifically ask you "is there anything BAD about this?" or he didn't specifically told you to warn him about what was BAD about the position, you're in the clear. If he did, and you LIED, then, yeah, that's why you might feel like you did wrong. :cool:

What's making you feel guilty right now is the sense of togetherness as same-company colleagues and the cohesion this might rupture. I think you sense you "owe him" something because he trusted you enough to ask you.

You did well, but if you feel like you must tell him to be prepared for these bad things about the old position you had, then go for it.

If you felt at the time you shouldn't have told him, you're right, you stayed professional and you broke no rule. If NOW you feel like you should at least warn him about what you didn't like, maybe you can mention it. A wise man once said: "who knows, he may end up liking the position more than I did."
    This should NOT be the case. He was OK even if they weren't friends.
    This "truth only to friends" thing isn't right, either. :(

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Bros (friends) before hoes (company) but hoes (company) before cos (ordinary co-workers that you have no personal relationship with.)

7. SwoLy-D

^ LOL! :grin:

ima_, in your thread title, you ask a question, and in your OP you ask almost the same thing, but phrased it differently, and will yield the opposite answer:
    Workplace Ethics - Did I Screw Up? NO.
    So, did I do the right thing by staying professional during our talk? YES
    Or did I screw him over by not telling him how I really felt about the position? NO.

Cheers, joto. :cool:

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

If he asked about the position, why not tell the full story? If there are serious negatives, just explain them in a professional way. They may not even be a big deal to him. Not disclosing facts of the job could be setting him and that business group up for failure.

1 person likes this.
  9. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Yes, you did the right thing. You can't trust anyone at work, everyone is looking out for themselves. Besides, if he's excited about the position it's all good. Let him figure out the problems on his own.

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Yes, you screwed up. We'll be contacting you shortly in regards to disciplinary action, up to and including termination.

11. SwoLy-D

Quoting your entry in a non-company website during work hours. :eek:

[​IMG]

:p

12. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Yes, I think you did the right thing. It's sad but you can't trust too many people. I've had 'friends' who I went to lunch with and talked **** about someone else and they went and told that person. What happens at lunch stays at lunch. Everyone knows that.
    Basically, you did the right thing because you don't know if he would keep quiet on it or how he would spin it. Or let's say he goes drinking with your old boss and his tongue loosens up. Even if you didn't say anything bad he could say it wrong in his inebriated state or your old boss could take it wrong.

13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Agreed sadly this is gospel. Even working with highly educated mature professionals you can't escape the office politics/gossip. It's admirable you didn't give in and kept it professional.

Good job.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Your discomfort is based on your own incompatibilities with the job, managers, people or your place in their hierarchy compared to your own ambition and abilities. It will be completely different for every one else who takes that job.

15. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

My thoughts is that just because you didnt like what the job entailed doesnt mean that he wont...Everyone values things differently...In your case, you made a decision that was best for you. For him, he is probably trying to get a foot in the door. Maybe this is where he needs to be. Few months later, he may get to what your feeling now about ur old position.

IMO...you didnt really do anything wrong. Infact, you'd be looked at as a guy that hurt the company, if you were more candid and couldve cost you ur new position if word ever got around.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

If the problem/negative isn't personal or dealing with people, then I'd tell him. It goes under "challenges" in my book. But if it's because some people are hard to get along with or clients or whatever, then I wouldn't. That's more subjective.

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

if he didnt ask you about it, then you are good.

18. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Happy to hear your moving on up.....(The Jeffersons)..;)

You definitely handled it correctly! As others have pointed out, you have to be careful when you talk about a co-worker/department, or position in the company that you work for, because conversations can easily be passed around and you might end up regretting that you open your mouth at all!

If you feel concerned that he/she might of stepped into something that is less than desirable, make yourself available to your co-worker and help him/her out as much as possible. This way you are not viewed as a conniving individual who didn't have his/her best interest at heart. You will also be helping to ensure that your co-worker has the best chance to succeed in his new position, and will come out looking like a team player with your employer!

19. platypus

platypus Member

You did the right thing. The golden rule is to never tell someone more information than you need to. Because if you do it will ALWAYS come back and bite you in the ass.

20. Grinds

Grinds Member

Bullish