1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Workout/Nutrition Help Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SK34, Jan 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Panda23

Panda23 Member

yep thats a smart way to do it. first time i ever tried to lose wieght, literally just cut out almost 90% of carbs. stupidest stuff ever in hindsight. lots so much weight (muscle as well) though because I just had zero energy in the gym/life in general LOL. that lasted about a month, had some decent abs though

2. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Arnold trolling

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9LUv3kbmNfg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. Sajan

Sajan Member

Worst part is they justify their poor eating because they worked out. it's amusing actually. I CAN EAT ALL THIS FOOD CAUSE WHEW..I DID 1 HOUR OF CARDIO!

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lHzcDlPvC9M?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. Classic

Classic Member

I snagged my wife out the gym--one of those types. Try being a personal trainer. You can walk up to any chick in the gym you want. Better yet, be a personal trainer at a gym for 5+ years and go out to the local bars. They come up to you.

5. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

I normally go to the gym with my outfits already on me but lately i have been going after work. So i found myself using the locker room to change clothes. All i have to say is, grandpas in a locker room don't give a single f*** at all. Free balling like they are right at home. Every single time. I think they do it just to mess with those who constantly taking selfie photos in the mirror.

6. Classic

Classic Member

I got a lot of stories. Some of those ****ers had the audacity to lift their legs up on the sink and blow dry they junk ass neked. R U F'in KIDDING ME? What was goin on the 50's in gym class that these dudes think that's acceptable?

7. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Oh mann lol i don't think i can keep a serious face if i were to witness that. Like today in the afternoon. I went to the 24hr on Kirby to see the facility with a friend. Walked in and the first thing i saw was hank hill ass cheeks. Kept on going further down and man it just got worst from there. It's like the closer you get to the shower area lockers. The more you see things hang. Came back from working out. I didn't even bother changing because two dudes were conversing to each other with nothing on like its natural and they happen to be next to my locker. I just grab my bags and left. I swear i never saw so many damn gums on the floor before.

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

so I was a client site a month ago and I couldn't find the mens restroom..so I went into the locker room since the fitness center was on the same level.

wow. old men don't have any shame. every one of them were butt naked..with their legs up..like wtf man?!?!

9. Classic

Classic Member

[steering this back on topic ;)] make sure you guys try these on your next back work out:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fewqxNeGQ8I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I actually put may hands all the way to the back of the outside grip to go super wide. You'll hit parts of your back/rear shoulders up under your arm pits that I can't find any other movements that can replicate. They're very hard so I like to do them first on back day.

10. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Thankfully my gym has private bathrooms/showers so I don't have to see any old man balls. Those stories are pretty damn funny though.

11. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

THANK GOODNESS I'm not the only one that has noticed that!
    I mean damn, as said above, the old dudes have NO SHAME in their gym locker room nudity.
    I went into the YMCA in an upper class predominantly white suburb of Dallas when I lived there and after working out and while using the locker room, imagine my surprise to see these old cats just walking around with the towel ON THEIR SHOULDERS as opposed to around their waist! Then they stop and talk to each other or worse...they stop and talk to YOU! While NEKKID!
    SMDH. Hopefully when I'm older I won't feel as care free as they do when it comes to locker room nekkidness.

12. Swishh

Swishh Member

13. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Anyone have a FitBit or other device that tracks your steps, calories, distance, sleep, etc...?

My bro in law just bought me one last week and Ive been giving it a go...pretty cool and seems decently accurate. The good thing about it is that it makes me want to keep walking/running all the time to keep my numbers high. I take stairs now instead of the elevator (it tracks floors climbed)...and just do random crap to keep myself active.

I need to get in better shape, so I'll gladly use anything that can get help get me there.

14. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

so know what you mean. the iphone app i use tracks calories in/out, measures distance precisely and speed nearly to the second, measures/logs heart rate, and has dozens if not hundreds of different exercises in its system to choose from when logging a workout (good god p90x plyo burns a SHXT TON of calories). i'm still mesmerized being an iphone noob and all...i way prefer going on runs outside now just cause i like seeing my routes/mile splits afterwards and having that data saved to compare to future runs. i've come to the conclusion that the map my run app and my iphone in general have been the biggest fitness motivators i've had since i started my first round of p90x 3 years ago.

only gripe i have is i've taken up lap swimming recently and i'm beyond convinced it doesn't show enough calories burned for each workout. for example i highly doubt a 1000 meter swim burns 148 calories....i burn that running 1.5 miles and it's not nearly as exhausting as the same amount of time doing laps.

oh and just recently got into the sleep time app too that tracks your REM cycles and wakes you up during light sleep so you feel well rested......technology, i swear!!!!

15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I used to have a fitbit and loved it. Until I took mistakenly thought it was water proof and took it in the Houstonian pool. Fail. When it worked, it motivated me to walk more, and climb more stairs. However, after about a month or so you have a sense for how far you've walked without needing it, so it kind of fades over time. One thing you can do is tie the fitbit into myfitnesspal.com and it gives you extra calories to eat based on your steps/stairs.

Finalsbound -- what iphone app do you use?

1 person likes this.
  16. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

mapmyrun. it was the first one i tried, so i'm sure there are dozens of similar apps, but i'm stuck on this one. it just does everything.

when i go to the dog park now i'm constantly walking around the park...i mean hell 1.5 hours of just walking around leisurely burns 250+ calories. i've actually discovered a love of walking everywhere, haha.

1 person likes this.
  17. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Hmmm I got a FitBit for Christmas but I just got an RMA for it because I haven't even bothered to open it yet. Seeing the enthusiasm above for this product is making me reconsider, but I still don't think I have much use for it. I really don't care how many steps I take during the day as I get plenty of exercise, but the sleep tracking sounds interesting.

18. Swishh

Swishh Member

Hey y'all, is it okay to rest for 3-4 minutes in between sets on the bench press? I am not fully recovered after the recommended 60-90 second rest in between sets.

19. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Yeah, I think that's fine. For heavy compound exercises (bench, squat, dead, etc), I usually aim for 2.5-3 min, but I'd be lying if I said talking/bsing/watching whatever game is on the TV doesn't sometimes push the rest out to 4 or even 5 minutes. On isolation exercises I aim for 2 minutes. Personally, I think 60 seconds rest is complete and utter BS unless you're going for more of an aerobic/cardio workout. Also, I feel like people who say this don't actually realize how quickly 60 seconds passes by.

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Once i get a pump going then for me it's best to stay around 20-60 seconds. I was repping some weight feeling good then I went to get some water and get on my ipad and couldn't get the bar off once I came back. I was stunned.