1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Work Out Advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketFan007, Feb 21, 2007.

Tags:
  1. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I'm hoping to start working out again next week, but I'm undecided on what routine I want to start. I want something that combines weight training and cardio. Also, I'm not really looking to get big. I'd prefer to add a little muscle mass and to stay nice and "cut." If anyone could send a link to a good program, or post their own routine it would be greatly appreciated.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I'm a full-time personal trainer.

Shoot me an email.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

for whatever reason, workout/fitness advice and somewhat more surprisingly, stock/investing advice threads always generate a massive number of replies, really quickly, or so I've observed.

4. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Not to sound like an ass, but if you don't even know what routine to use, I wouldn't worry about getting "big", as you fear.

5. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I know. I was refering to the fact that I don't want a routine that revolves around power lifting. I'm looking for something that is more about tone (ie lower weight, more reps).

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Do 10-12 reps of everything. Focus on cardio. Eat clean.

7. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

It's the diet that will make you "too big" in your words. No matter how much you work out. If you aren't eating enough, you can't put on muscle.

You are going to get a million replies with different routines from people smarter than me. :) I am an out of shape bony twig. So I'l leave the workout routine advice to others.

8. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

Seriously?

I had no idea.

9. DonnyMost

Yep!

Donny does fitness.

10. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

what about a workout to just lose weight?

11. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Hey Donny, what's your email? I'm in the same boat as 007 over here. :cool:

12. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

Awesome, i'll keep that in mind.

13. DonnyMost

click on my username.

should bring up an option to "send email to donnymost"

i'd rather not publicly post my email :)

14. DonnyMost

In response to your email..

It is important to vary the intensity of your cardio throughout the exercise so that your body doesnt adapt too quickly. 5 minute intervals is a good benchmark. Try not to run on an incline if you can avoid it to prevent knee damage.

30 minutes, 3 to 4 times a week sounds about right.

In terms of variety, maybe invest in a bike? Biking is a fairly easy to pick up, highly rewarding hobby. Thats if your gym doesnt have good options for cardio.

15. DonnyMost

SCF, depending on what your body fat percentage is at i dont know if i would start trying to put on lean muscle immediately.

i usually recommend that people reach their ideal body composition before looking to start building muscle, as it just streamlines the process.

calorie intake depends on a lot of factors besides just height and weight, rough estimate would be about 2000-1900 calories for weight loss, and around 2600-2700 for weight gain.

while trying to slim down i would suggest doing resistance training twice per week to tone up and start revving up your metabolism. when going for muscle gain switch to three times a week and cut back on cardio, although i suggest light cardio post-workout to reduce soreness/downtime.

your specific weight training regime should be based on where you're starting at right now, almost everyone requires corrective exercise training to even out muscular imbalances before they can begin muscle building.. so find a personal trainer and start with that for sure.

16. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

Alright thanks. I'm assuming by varying the intensity you mean, for 5 minutes go all out, next 5 min slow down, next 5 min pick it up again etc?

EDIT: One more thing, I can go to the recreation place on campus if that might be best. They have all types of equipment. Good idea? if so what should I look to do?

#16 FlyerFanatic, Feb 21, 2007
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  17. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

hey Donny - good to hear from you again. i noticed that Meyerland 24 is starting to run the fan again. however, it never seems like it's on full blast. when are the times of the day that it's run at its highest speed? thanks.

18. DonnyMost

basically. but remember to take it gradually.

"all out" is never good to start off a cardio routine with.. im talking switching between about 70% intensity down to 50.. and back and forth.. key factors are frequency (how often you do cardio), intensity (the heart rate), time (how long you do it in a session) and type (what actual exercise you're doing).. and to keep varying up those factors consistently once you reach a plateau.

19. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

you still should lift weights. it makes LOSING weight much quicker and better. trust me, you'll get much better results than just running.

20. DonnyMost

Ellipitcals are a godsend for anywho who 1) is adverse to high impact cardio or 2) sits at a desk all day

Im a big dude, when I run consistently my knees suffer.. so I switch between a stationary bike, stairmaster, and an ellipitcal constantly..

and also, if you're sitting down all day, your hips are likely tight, and your butt and hams are likely stretched out.. an elliptical gets you sitting upright and using those lengthened muscles.. while stretching the tight ones..

also, if you're doing cardio, no matter what kind, practice proper posture and balance.. keep your hands off the crossbars and such, stand up straight.. it makes a huge difference and causes you to actively use your core.