1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Work in progress - Now, a playmaker (that can score)..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Dec 30, 2014.

1. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Plan C?

GHill/Beverley
    Harden/Terry
    Ariza/Brewer
    Smith/Dorsey/Jones
    Howard/DMo

We really need to get a good shooter out there with the starters, especially with Smith out there now...

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Plan A is:

Ariza + Terry for

Parsons.

Rockets need more offense, Mavs need more defense. Jason Terry returns to his natural habitat.

Perfect deal.

3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

George Hill isn't a playmaker, though. Any time his name winds up in trade rumors, it's said to be because Indy wants a PG who can actually facilitate and don't think Hill is that guy. I remember an interview where he said he doesn't consider himself a true point guard, but more of a combo guard w/ the emphasis on shooting. He's such a good defender, though -- and definitely a better offensive option than Bev -- but I think the playmaking role would still fall to Harden.

4. i3artow i3aller

:rolleyes: I do miss the Dragon setting fire to the court :(
    [​IMG]

5. kudos1017

kudos1017 Member

I've watched this thing 20 times and still have no idea how Gogi knew Scola was there. He didn't look back once before making the pass. Guessing Scola yelled "trailer" and he just tossed it in the direction of his voice?

6. i3artow i3aller

^

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think simply upgrading the shooting would be great. It's frustrating to not have any real shooters around Harden. Just streaky shooters trying hard. Maybe Terry, but he's a liability defensively because he's older.

I'm beginning to think getting Dragic may be a waste of his talents because I can't see Harden giving up the rock anymore. I'm not sure we really need another playmaker, if we get a pg like Hill and Morey manages to snag a solid 4 with a J. Harden is in such a groove, that I wouldn't want him turning into a spot up shooter during games.

He turned enough to have Scola in his peripheral vision after he went behind his back.

#67 RV6, Jan 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  8. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Why not Jarrett Jack? He is a playmaker, he's shot 36% from 3 in the last 3+ years, has been effective both starting and off the bench, and he is cost controlled for the next two years (no risk of walking over the summer).

Also Brooklyn seems to be interested in cutting their payroll back to a manageable level so he could be relatively cheap.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

He's 31 and shoots the three pretty much like the guys we already have. I think we need more consistent shooting above all, if he's also a playmaker, great.

10. PeppermintCandy

We need a version of Lowry when he first played for the Rockets. Someone to come off the bench and lead the second unit for 18 to 20 minutes, and just absolutely go full throttle for that time. Get everyone involved and while not necessarily score a bunch himself, be enough of a threat to keep defenses honest.

Looking back now, I did not realize what a rarity it is to have a talented backup PG fully embrace such a specific role. My guess is that Morey is hoping Shved could turn out to be such a force off the bench.

11. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

I disagree. I think we need someone to run the offense when Harden sits and who can come in and run the offense alongside Harden for periods when the defense decides to double him 30 ft from the basket. I only bring up the 3 point shooting to say he would not represent a drop off there from what we are getting but would be a massive improvement in secondary/second unit playmaking.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

If Harden is getting doubled, why do we need someone to create a play, when it's 4 on 3? Move the ball quickly and find the open man. Of course, if they can't hit the shot or turn the ball over, then it won't look good. That's why we can use a better shooter with experience.

With the recent additions, I think we can get away with just pushing the ball, when he sits. I'd still love to get Goran though, but there are other options too.

13. marky :)

marky :) Member

I agree with that. Going with your plan C, what about Mario Chalmers? He shoots 40% from 3 and has decent play making abilities.

Only thing is I can't see who Miami would want from us that would make this trade helpful for both teams.

14. CertifiedTroll

I may be flamed for my opinion, but Patrick Beverley is a better shooter than GHill. If you point me to a 45% 3pt I will point you to 5 games and career averages.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I don't see any clear sign that Patrick is better. They both avg around 36% 3pt and 80% FT over their career. I give Hill the nod because he's done it longer and Pat is strictly a spot up shooter. I'd guess Hill would shoot better from 3, if was always set to shoot.

Beyond the shooting stats, he's a better scorer, more explosive, and more stable mentally. All that makes for an upgrade, IMO.

16. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Hey, PT, can we just swap entire rosters with...anyone? Tell me that is what you're hearing!!!