1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Work Hard, Play Harder

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by chrisjent, Jul 29, 2011.

Tags:
  1. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

Easily the most cliched, douchy statement ever.

Can we please retire it?

Every time I hear it said I want to kick that person in the groin. Repeatedly.

I understand it may impair their after lunch assistant manager shift in the Best Buy Appliances department AND their after work happy hour priced Miller Lite at Chili's, but I have no problem rationalizing that it's for their own good.

1 person likes this.
  2. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Not worse than, "It'll be different when it's your own kid.":rolleyes:

3. droxford

droxford Member

"Live like it's your last day on earth"

"Houston, we have a problem"

1 person likes this.
  4. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Oh god, +100000000 to this. Can't stand it.

5. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

It's so easy to call any and everything "douchy".
    I get that it's cliche'd but how the heck is it douchy???

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I did like the Simpson's take on that with Homer sitting on the curb crying "I'm going to die...."

I have to restrain the urge to punch someone when I hear that.

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

You just wait...

8. SunsRocketsfan

especially when its used in sports to describe one of the houston teams.. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: cant stand it ..

9. chrisjent

chrisjent Member

Because in saying it, you become the khaki crowd equivalent of being the Mountain Dew "extreme" guy.

Based on my own experiences, most people that feel the need to tell you that they 'work hard' really do not grasp what it means to work hard. I'm guessing the guy working the landscaping job for ten hours a day in a 100 degree heat is working harder than 'joe docker' who is willing to sit in his cube for an extra thirty minutes so he crank out the latest TPS report early and get that 'big promotion.'

And 'play harder'? That's awesome, you are a 'professional' who has no problem going to kareoke on Tuesday nights and buying kamikaze shots 'all around'! Maybe if you played less 'hard,' you'd realize that hostess you met at Sherlock's isn't really the catch your perpetually single cubemate made her out to be.

1 person likes this.
  10. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Harder hard play, work

11. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

LOL...i know what it takes to raise kids. that's why i don't want any part of it.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

[title]
    That's what SHE said. :eek:

Also:

:35
    <iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/icIwKaci3MI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:p

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Let's retire the word "douche," unless you are talking about a device used to introduce a stream of water into the body for medical or hygienic reasons, or the stream of water itself.

14. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

100% agreed.

15. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I agree with all of this. Now, if you'll excuse me, I am going to go be a rugged individualist in my new car that was designed exclusively for individuals who buck the system. I will also slow down over railroad tracks so I don't reduce the value of the car. I may need to trade it in for the next car that, I'm told, will increase my rugged individualism.

16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

that was my favorite line.

If you can work hard, and then party, and get by still, I am all for that.good for you. I know plenty of people that know how to play hard, and don't know how to work hard.

All the power to the best buy manager and if it makes him feel better to think he is the man then good for him. The whole work hard play hard is fine as long as you back it up and actually work hard. lots of pretenders out there in that sense.

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I'm getting as equally if not MORE tired of the ANTI-"douche" sentiment than of the d-bags themselves.

I wouldnt make any of the choices typical douches make. Just that the world is populated with many types of annoying people and its too much to fight.

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

One man managed to make these several statements cliche:
    "You know what they say, hand down... man down."
    "Mama, there goes that man!"
    (When referring to Ty Lawson) "Oh man! That should be against the LAW... SON."

19. codell

codell Contributing Member

20. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I get why he's calling it douchy. I hear it used most often by mid-20s former frat daddies who are "climbing up the corporate ladder" while they are getting plastered on a Friday night right after work.