1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Work for the army reserve

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by stonegate_archer, Mar 3, 2009.

1. stonegate_archer

stonegate_archer Contributing Member

I have an opportunity to work for Army reserve as a Linguist, is it a good gig? Anyone has experience?

Lost my job recently, worked in the banking industry, difficult times. :(

2. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

If the title has cunny at the beginning then it might just be worth it.

3. droxford

droxford Member

If you qualify for service benefits (will they pay for your college?) then it sounds like it might be okay. How long would your service be?

4. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

You might want to look into active duty army. The army use to give some pretty good bonuses for recruits who sign up to be linguist. Sign up for 4 years and leave with a TOP SECRET security clearance that will get you a nice, comfy, well paying government/defense contractor job. You might be able to do that in the reserves, but you should just ask your recruiter.

5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I could be totally wrong, but haven't tons of reservists been sent to Iraq over the past 3 years?

6. stonegate_archer

That is what I am afraid of, don't want to go to iraq at all.

#6 stonegate_archer, Mar 3, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  7. stonegate_archer

I am past college, there is a big signing bonus, and they will pay for up to $60,000 student loans. I just don't know the down side.

8. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

9. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Man, who the hell have you been talking too? If you're going army, you're gonna pull a tour at some point, especially if you're speaking a middle-eastern language. You'd most likely be in the safer areas I would think (with, say, medical staff), but I really don't know.

10. no_answer

no_answer Member

Yeah, like there's really a safe place. I have a bro in the Army that's an officer that just re-enlisted and he's headed to Afghanistan this year, SO don't join the army unless you're ready to risk your life. They give you a ton of money for a reason.

11. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Nothing is more honorable than serving your country. Don't let the liberals tell you otherwise.

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

that's your opinion. or what the conservatives have brainwashed you into believing as fact.

there's nothing wrong with valuing your life instead of risking it.

13. Lynus302

I did say "safer." I know a LOT of army medical personnel. Where they get stationed is pretty darned safe, all things considered (not combat medics....I know them, too, but I'm talking about RNs and LPNs in this scenario). I know it's a war zone and I'm not making light of your point, but MY only point is that there is something to be said for being "in the rear with the gear," and yes, while anything can happen, it's not like a linguist is going to be on the front lines. Far from it. A linguist is probably going to be plugged to expensive (and thus, better protected) communications devices.

Unless you're a Special Forces linguist, which is another matter entirely....

Truer words have never been spoken. And I thank your brother for his service. All the best to him. :cool:

14. Lynus302

Oh good lord.... :rolleyes:

While only a given person knows his true heart, risking your life for the greater good is always honorable.

15. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Unbelievable.

16. cardpire

cardpire Member

hey, i completely agree with that sentence, and it's a great one. it's completely different then what the jackass who i responded to said though.

i'll amend it slightly, although it is somewhat implied..."risking your life for what YOU think is the greater good is always honorable".

17. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Linguist don't grow on trees for the army, they're not going to spend a lot of money to train one, just to send him to the front lines. You'll most likely be working in an office type setting translating newspapers or interpreting some radio broadcasts. In the likely event the OP gets deployed, he would probably be stationed on some huge base where the only dangers would be mortar attacks and stupid people with guns.

If you don't mind me asking, what language do you speak? (other then English).

18. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

We will be out of the Iraq pretty soon, so you might be sitting pretty in some nice location in Europe for a while.